GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,412
2 members and 1,410 guests
AOIIalum, Titchou

Old 06-09-2003, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
did you meet a sister/brother somewhere you didn't expect?

I love hearing these stories -- I think esp. for the greeks who aren't on GC, it makes a HUGE difference in realizing, Hey, this truly is a nationwide, lifelong thing.

I remember reading one story about a Phi Mu who had an elderly woman come up to her in line at a bookstore and excitedly whisper the password in her ear. How cool is that?!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw some sisters driving in their car from another Chapter while I was driving home from a party and a few weeks ago. We had the same license plate holders with our letters on it! I also saw an alumna from another Chapter at my work wearing our letters! They were both very exciting experiences!
Old 06-09-2003, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

a friend was a huge party when i went home last summer, and the cops had come so his dad had to kick everyone out, and i was really angry that i had to leave since the party was really fun, and as i was walking out his dad stopped me and said "i cant kick out one of my own brothers" and we ended up talking all night about stories he had from when he was an active in his chapter
Old 06-09-2003, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I've seen bros at a few places around Boston, just randomly on the street, at bars, places like that.

When I first got initiated, I saw a guy at the amusement park I was working at back home with a Kappa Sig hat. We ended up talking for a while, it was pretty interesting.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
At Christmas I was shopping with my aunt and my cousin's fiancče at the GAP. I was wearing my rush shirt and the clerk complimented me on it-- she's a Kappa from Iowa.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:03 AM

About a week after our initiation, one of my sisters was in the computer cluster in the student center, wearing her brand-new pin... when a complete stranger came up to her and gave her the password. She was an AEPhi from somewhere else...

What she was doing in the cluster, I have no idea, since she wasn't a student and therefore shouldn't have been able to get in. Oh well.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Last week I was driving home from work on I-95 and a VW Beetle goes by and I see that she's in a sorority, but I can't make out which one because of the glare.

As I got closer, I saw she was an Alpha Phi from University of Delaware! I passed her and went to say hi, but she exited right then.

While I was home over Winter Break, I was talking to my best friend and she mentioned that one of her friends joined Alpha Phi at University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I was pretty surprised to hear this because she had started off at Northern Illinois (and I thought she was still there) and a bunch of her friends joined Delta Gamma. UIUC was actually my second choice and I had always wondered if I would have joined Alpha Phi there, let alone gone Greek.

Later over break, I stopped into Bath and Body Works to make a return for my mom and I saw a girl I had played soccer with for a few years in high school, and had also been in a show choir with me for a year. We weren't close enough to hang out ever, but we did talk pretty often. She told me she was at UIUC and asked me if I joined a sorority at Florida Tech. I said, "Yes, Alpha Phi", and she replied, "GET OUT!" Turns out she is also an Alpha Phi at the Beta Alpha chapter. Crazy, huh?

Then I found out that another girl who I played soccer with joined Alpha Phi at Northern Illinois. Small world, indeed.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 06-09-2003, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I was riding the T in Boston (the T is Boston's subway) and I was wearing a jacket with Phi Mu letters on it. I middle age woman came up to me and told me she's a Phi Mu alum from a chapter in Maine. We talked for a while about our chapters and recited different cheers - while receiving strange looks from others on the train She told me that she wasn't very active in alum stuff because she recently returned to seminary to get her masters degree. I told her that my big sis is in seminary as well. It was very cool to meet a random stranger on a train and immediatly have that bond between us.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
We were at the airport in Cancun waiting in the longass line to get home. We spotted a Phi Mu sitting at a table near us. She was from Ball State! This was in 2001.

KLTC
Old 06-09-2003, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Last year, I was in a parking lot walking toward a produce store. I saw a license plate frame with KD on it. Left a note on the windshield to say hi. I mentioned the story on the KD online newsletter. The next day a response came back. It was from the mother of a gal who was in the chapter when I was an active a zillion years ago. Mom is also a KD as is grandmother.

My other story was several years ago I went to sign the contract with a caterer for my daughter's bat mitzvah party. I had on a sweatshirt which says "Kappa Delta Alumnae". Caterer tells me she is also a KD. Turns out from the same chapter, many years later.

DaffyKD
Old 06-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

When I was an active I wore my badge to work and would encounter lots of alums that way.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-09-2003, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Last week I was working out at the local gym in my hometown, and I was wearing my formal recruitment shirt. One of the women in there was reading the back of it and asked if I belonged to any of the organizations listed on there. I told her that I was an ADPi, and she shook my hand and said that she was one too. We spent the rest of the time at the gym talking about ADPi stuff!
Old 06-09-2003, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I was at the Tri Section Meeting for AYSO, and going to a referee class, someone saw my letters on the escalator and said "YITBOS", so I went all the way up the four story escalator, rode it back down, and talked to the guy. Ironically, he was from the same chapter as a Delta SIg I had met earlier in the day at the same function, and they didn't know the other was there.

I was at the Dentist, and the Financial Analyst for Fox Tv's Fox In The Morning was there. Turns out he is a Delta Sig from UCSD.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I was at a wedding and seated at a table with another couple who didn't know anyone. I was chatting with the woman and we really hit it off - joking and dancing etc. The end of the night comes and we all go to a bar after. I start to tell a story about my "sorority sister" and she says: "What sorority were you in?" I tell her, and she is a Chi O, too! Then we proceed to do songs ans chants and drive our boyfriends' crazy! It was fun!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I was in the Wal-Mart in my hometown shopping with my mom sometime last year, and I happened to have my letters on. Well, lo and behold, these two girls popped out from behind a shoe rack and said, "Hey, where are you a DZ at?" I told them UK, and they introduced themselves as DZs from Morehead (which is right up the road from my house). It was pretty cool--I've never met another DZ while I've been out someplace, except for the time I went to a party at another school that has no national sororities, and a girl comes up to me and says, "Hey, I saw your lavalier, and I had to come say hello 'cause I'm a DZ at OU!"