GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,528
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, zellahulzez9781
» Online Users: 1,033
0 members and 1,033 guests
No Members online

Old 01-09-2004, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Lightbulb Penn State in the ACC

Imagine Penn State leaving the Big 10 for the ACC. This is just a thought, but I believe that it could happen in the next 10-15 years. My idea goes like this.

Penn State has yet to have a neat fit in the Big 10, so the motivation of money can come into play. Imagine the ACC, with its 12 members, getting ready to expand to 14. With dollar signs dancing in the heads of ACC officials, the thought of the New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh TV markets, all in the ACC corner, is just too irresistible.

So the ACC makes its move. They go after Syracuse, to grab the New York TV market, as well as the smaller TV markets in upstate New York. That brings the ACC to 13 teams. Not only is 13 an unlucky number, but its an odd number. The ACC needs at least one more team. They court Penn State. If successful, this gives the ACC the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh markets, as well as smaller markets in the Pennsylvania. Also, it gets them New Jersey because there is no New Jersey TV market; it is split between New York and Philadelphia.

The enhancement in TV revenues is huge. Big enough to offer Penn State the money that they will have to pay the Big 10 for leaving. Also big enough to waive the entrance fee into the ACC. And big enough to offer Penn State 1/14th of ACC TV revenues, which is greater than 1/11th of Big 10 revenues.

Another attraction to Penn State is that the ACC makes more sense. Penn State alumni are more likely to be on the Atlantic Coast than in the Mid West. There will be less traveling to away games.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am an alumnus of FSU, which is in the ACC. I would like to see this happen because it would benefit my alma mater's athletic conference. My opinions on this subject are heavily biased, and I make no appoligies for that.

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 01-09-2004 at 03:46 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-09-2004, 03:45 PM

But don't you know that Penn State is a bit of Midwesternia (if that's a word) plopped down in the middle of PA?

As clueless about college football as I am, I looked at who is in the ACC and I don't think the fit is any better than the Big 10.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:07 PM
wreckingcrew

I'm gonna have to agree with 33girl.

My lil sis goes to PSU for grad school and i went up and spent about 4 days with her last fall. I've been to Tallahassee, Miami, NYC, etc. and PSU seemed a LOT more midwestern to me. It actually reminded me a lot of Austin or Boulder. I haven't been to any of the other Big 10 schools, but i think PSU has more of a Big 10 feel.

Kitso
KS 361 times russ just wants a patsy his 'Noles can beat up on
Old 01-09-2004, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
You both are right in your observations about the culture. What I was reffering to is that Penn State's traditional rivals are not from the Big 10. Also that Penn State, as far as I'm aware, has yet to be seen as Big 10 school in the same way that the other Big 10 schools are. Heck, when they joined, they wouldn't even change the name of the conference to acknowledge them.

Mostly, I'm talking about $$$. The ACC has already raided the Big East for 3 schools. Why not go after Penn State? And why would Penn State feel compelled to stay in the Big 10?

What if my theoretical ACC expansion included West Virginia and Pitt. There would then be a 16 team conference. A possible South division would consist of the North Carolina, Georgia and Florida schools. A North division would include Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Penn State, Pitt, Boston College, and Syracuse. This division would include 5 of Penn State's traditional rivals. I think that Penn State alumni would like that. I also believe that the Penn State administration would like the increased revenue, that comes with what would be the most lucrative athletic conference in America.

Would Penn State not consider such a switch?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

From a Pitt fan perspective:
While I think your proposed North-South would be great for football, it wouldn't be as beneficial for us in basketball. The new Big East, while weak in football, is going to be a basketball powerhouse.

In any event- I don't see any kind of major change happening with Penn State until JoePa is gone. His opinions are pretty much the word of God in Central PA and at Penn State. Until he goes, I doubt that anything will change. Also, Penn State athletics isn't the most attractive right now. Their football team wasn't bowl eligible, their men's bball is horrible. Their women's bball is pretty good. A lot of fan are jumping off the Penn State bandwagon, so it may not be as attractive as it would've been 5 years ago.