GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,487
1 members and 2,486 guests
bolgujnra6512
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

You got to look at the big picture. Pledging or New Member Period is a trial period. Giving them letters(stiched on or even event shirts in my opinion) wouldn't be the right thing to do. If they wore letters at all during their new member period they wouldnt understand what they earned. Pledge Pins and dressing up to represent the organization you desire to be a part of is an honor in itself.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-06-2001, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I have a different view on "earning" my letters. The actual jersey makes no difference to me, I mean we all know that your invisible jersey is always apparent so everyone knows who you represent anyway.

I feel like new members deserve the option to wear letters, pins and party shirts are not really important in the big picture, but big letters across your chest makes you more aware of what's going on and the impact you have as a small part of the bigger picture. I know we did things for PR in my chapter because we were a colony and needed publicity, but I still feel like it is very cute when our ECU chapters give matching letters to littles and bigs, it makes it all feel more together.

I guess it varies on your campus and point of view. I still think pins or dressing up is the same as wearing letters because you still represent the same group without fully understanding the meaning of the organization. When it comes down to 6-8 week new member periods it really doesn't matter, but Chi O holds their new gilrs until the next semester so I think they need the recognition.(by the way, I wish everyones new member period is longer!)

------------------
Lexi
Old 11-30-2003, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
Is a general consensus that the full name of the GLO spelt out is okay but having it in greek letters is not, for pledges? Or vice versa? This is on T-Shirts etc.
I sorta see why some people have said their crest may not be worn by non-actives but surely in most circumstances for social GLOs, they won't know what the greek letters truly mean any more than they intrinsically understand what each part of the crest means yet?
There is no such general consensus. In Phi Kappa Psi, we have some chapters (U. Kansas, U. Iowa) who never wear letters at all, but wear "Phi Psi", not "Phi Kappa Psi" in script. Some of our chapters allow pledges to wear letters. My chapter only allows brothers to wear letters, so event t-shirts will say "Phi Psi", yet for homecoming and greek week, we allow FKY to be listed along side all of the other GLOs.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll speak up for my local here.
If a pledge was seen wearing letters of any sort..well..they'd have the letters ripped off of them so quick it'd make their head spin The only time they are allowed to wear letters is during "hell week" in which the shirt says:
(front)LOY
Pledge
Fall 2003
(back)Lambda Omicron Psi
(sleeves) Big & Little sis
Old 11-30-2003, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

There is no consensus.

My personal beliefs differ from KD policy.
KD policy is that new members may wear letters, and it is hazing to deny them that right.
My personal belief is that someone isn't really truly a member until they are initiated, and therefore shouldn't be entitled to wear the letters of the org.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Da, just what is wrong with a New Associate wearing Letters?

Is she wearing the Creast? No. Dont You want to let other people on campus to know that these Women Associated with Your Orgaization?

If you will pardon me, but how friggin stupid!

When we got New Associates, the Actives let them wear a shirt that had our letters on it. Well untill they got their own!

This as we called it in Marketing. Advertising, and Merchandising, called it selling!

You are not Proud enough to have Your New Associate members wear YOU LETTERS!

Is this Your Self importance or Your National?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-30-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Da, just what is wrong with a New Associate wearing Letters?

Is she wearing the Creast? No. Dont You want to let other people on campus to know that these Women Associated with Your Orgaization?

When we got New Associates, the Actives let them wear a shirt that had our letters on it. Well untill they got their own!

This as we called it in Marketing. Advertising, and Merchandising, called it selling!

Some of us believe that it is more important to attach value to the meaning of our letters, then to treat it our values as wholesale merchandise that needs to be marketed. But, that's simply a matter of perspective and values.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't say they shouldn't wear anything with the greek letters on it or with the name spelled out. I'm talking about the jersey, sewn letters that most people mean when they say they're wearing their "letters", at least at my school. My letters have a special significance to me.

I'm not a believer in wearing things that you don't know the meaning of. Kinda like that Chinese symbol fad a while back..... I swear, half those things probably translated to say "i'm a dumbjack@ss who spent too much money on this to try to look cool"

And as I clearly stated- it's my personal belief (one which a lot of other greeks hold as well), NOT MY ORGANIZATIONS. I respect the rules and decisions of my GLO.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp: Da, just what is wrong with a New Associate wearing Letters?
WOAH! WOAH, EASY TIGER!

I never said there was anything wrong with it! Iwas just interested in other's views! I asked the question as I have seen debate on here before about what's okay and what's not, how much can be worn, etc. Both with HBGLO's which I (on GC) have seen to particularly focus on the problems of 'perps', and other orgs.
I also AGREE with you that getting your name out there is good! I was just trying to find out whether it would be generally FROWNED UPON by the Greek community if people who were not actives of a GLO were freely allowed to wear a) the name in English of the org. b) the Greek letters c) Crest also on T-shirt. What's ok and what's not. For example, I've seen posts where people have said XYZ (might've been the Pikes?) on their campus allows girls to wear their letters as it always does them good to have beautful girls sporting their letters.

Also, hope springs eternal, but I do not have a national. We're a petitioning group, (who're only interested in one 'national).

ETA: Ohh sorry..... you didn't mean me . Okay, feeling stupid now...

Last edited by decadence; 12-01-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

dec, i started another thread that may better provide an answer to your specific question, as an interest group is much different than a new member:

Interest Group Using Letters
Old 11-30-2003, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

The start date on this thread was in 2001. At some point, starting a new thread becomes acceptable

We allow candidates to wear and possess anything but the crest. This varies from chapter to chapter. In no way has HQ set this in stone. One expansion advisor advised us one way on it and another said it didn't really matter..
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-30-2003, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Flame post (IMO)

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
I don't think it's appropriate to infer/suggest that a moderator - Tom Earp doesn't "attach value" to his letters. He is an active alum, and he has been so for FAR longer than you have (and possibly will be). He also started his chapter of a 'national NIC fraternity. The concepts of marketing your org and wanting your org to succeed because you value it are not mutually exclusive. He hasn't been involved this long because he doesn't "value" his Fraternity.
I don't think it's appropriate for you to infer/suggest that I made an assertion that Tom Earp doesn't attach values to his letters. I believe that we all have different value sets, and that each are equally valid, in the context of our individual organizations. Where I disagreed with Tom is that he asserted his value set onto that of a different GLO.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Dec, of course did not mean you!

Just saying, OH Golly Gee Whizeer, the Newbies dont know the TRUe MANY of the Letters! Hell NO they dont, they have not been Initiated yet.

But to deny them the fact that they have Pledged themselves to s certain Orgaization and CANNOT wear The Fraterity/Soroity Letters!?

Oh, give me a damn break!

How course is the sand that some of you place your head in!

ARRRRG!

Yes, We are Secret Societys, but dont be silly, We aint the Skull and Bones!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-30-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: New Orleans. Or pure unpenetrable evil, depending on what I feel like at the moment.
Send a message via AIM to GPhiLlama Send a message via Yahoo to GPhiLlama
We're allowed to wear letters as pledges. Our formal jersey has "Gamma Phi" spelled out, but when my sister-mom gave me my family letters (we have family jerseys), I wore them. Another girl in my pledge class made her own! We also made pledge class jerseys, which were the letters and our pledge nick. The only thing we couldn't wear was the formal jersey with our formal nick until after we got initiated.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
All we are allowed to wear is Sigma Delta Tau spelled out. When the girls go to Something Greek to get paddle stuff *usally a week before they get in* they aren't allowed to order letters or even buy anything with letters *keycahins, etc*. The only gifts they are giving before they get in is on big/lil night and thats usally a big/lil candle, candy jar, etc

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Closed Thread