GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,287
3 members and 1,284 guests
Titchou

Old 01-14-2017, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

There is no such thing as cross cut, it meant that a woman was not high enough on any of the chapters' bid lists to match before they closed their pledge classes. That was pre-RFM. Now there there is RFM, if a PMN maximizes her options she will be offered a bid. It may or may not be her first choice, but she will be offered at bid.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Well said IndianaSigKap. There is no such thing as cross cut-a myth perpetuated year in and out by campus gossip.

A PNM attends 3 pref parties:A, B, and C. She lists them on her bid card in that order of preference. She ends up with a bid from C. She thinks she has been cross cut. What has happened is that she was on the bid lists of all three sororities. The computer runs her choices trying to match her to her first choice A, but she is number 101 on their list and they fill to quota when they hit 50. The computer then tries to match her with her second choice, but she is 51 on their list and they match to all 50 girls before her, so the computer goes to her third choice C. She is 9th on their list so she matches with them and is a new member of C. Sorority C will have no idea they were not her first choice, unless she arrives in tears and let's them know in her actions that she doesn't want to be there.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
There is no such thing as cross cut, it meant that a woman was not high enough on any of the chapters' bid lists to match before they closed their pledge classes. That was pre-RFM. Now there there is RFM, if a PMN maximizes her options she will be offered a bid. It may or may not be her first choice, but she will be offered at bid.
I thought cross-cutting could still happen at Indiana because of the artificially low quota set by each house prior to recruitment. Say a PNM goes to three chapters where quota has already been set at 55 and is not high enough on any chapters' list to receive a bid, is she still placed as a quota addition despite the pre-set quota?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
I thought cross-cutting could still happen at Indiana because of the artificially low quota set by each house prior to recruitment. Say a PNM goes to three chapters where quota has already been set at 55 and is not high enough on any chapters' list to receive a bid, is she still placed as a quota addition despite the pre-set quota?
Nope. If a PNM ranks all of her chapters, she will get a bid. It might not be her first choice, but she will be placed as a QA. Last year the only PNMs who did not match on bid day, did not maximize their options.

Sent you a PM about a particular.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Preference day today! List comes out at 10:00 am. Praying that all goes well!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Right there with you mom. Good vibes headed her way!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Best wishes to all the PNMs today (and their mothers)! Congratulations to all of the chapter women and their advisors, you survived another year!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

can you get an informal recruitment bid if the house cut you during recruitment process? I'm trying to advise my daughter as she isn't sure and I think you need to drop before you get a bid if you want to do informal.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

The odds that a house which cut you would turn around and extend you a bid are slim, plus:

Only ONE house does informal - so unless your daughter wants that house, NO.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 01-15-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

After a bit of a bumpy Round of 9, where she had a full schedule but lost a couple of contenders (but not favorites), DD got a great list for pref round! We are beyond thankful for that! Her roommate dropped out as did one of her good friends from high school. This system is brutal.

Her two favorites are her first two parties today and her third party is a house she likes well enough For an IU Recruitment, we are overjoyed!

And, IndianaSigmaKappa, your info about maximizing your options and getting a QA bid is quite welcome news today! I didn't know that about IU Recruitment

Last edited by IUMomma; 01-15-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

IUSK is awesome-truly a Panhellenic spirit!
Old 01-15-2017, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If you don't get bid, you can participate in informal. HOWEVER, PNMs need to understand those choices are limited and more so at IU. Your odds of getting a bid from a group that dropped you - particularly on the first round - are slim to none no matter what campus you are on.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbkaufmann View Post
can you get an informal recruitment bid if the house cut you during recruitment process? I'm trying to advise my daughter as she isn't sure and I think you need to drop before you get a bid if you want to do informal.
Advise her to go to the preference parties, take whatever bid she gets, and tell her that she should throw herself into the chapter and run with it. ALL of the sororities at Indiana are great.

I'm sorry to say, but it is far more likely than not that your daughter's chances of getting an informal bid at a house that cut her during recruitment are slim to none.

I have sent you a PM as well.

Last edited by robinseggblue; 01-15-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter has 2 choices as of today. One housed, one unhoused. She likes both groups of girls. Her concern is what the sisterhood is like in an unhoused sorority? That is what she is looking forward to is that family feeling, being with her sisters. Any useful info I can tell her? I hate to have her just put down 1 house after today...
Any info on when/if any of the unhoused will be getting housing?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC/IUMAMA View Post
My daughter has 2 choices as of today. One housed, one unhoused. She likes both groups of girls. Her concern is what the sisterhood is like in an unhoused sorority? That is what she is looking forward to is that family feeling, being with her sisters. Any useful info I can tell her? I hate to have her just put down 1 house after today...
Any info on when/if any of the unhoused will be getting housing?
I am on campus a lot for sporting events and to visit friends who live in town. I have met girls from all of the unhoused chapters and they are great girls. Granted, I know more about ASA because a friend's daughter is a member, but to think their sisterhood suffers without a house is mistaken. They group up together to live in apartments, houses, and dorm rooms. Theta Phi has two or three buildings of an apartment complex near the stadium just for them. I cannot speak as to their future housing plans, but I know that a house does not make for a sisterhood. Your daughter should go where she thinks she will be the happiest.