GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,312
0 members and 2,312 guests
No Members online

Old 03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

^ I did some digging and my colony, if I choose to accept the bid, will have three (read: 6 semesters) years to become chartered.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2010, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
^ I did some digging and my colony, if I choose to accept the bid, will have three (read: 6 semesters) years to become chartered.
So? You will still be able to guide it's early growth.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
So? You will still be able to guide it's early growth.
I just wondered how long it took for a colony to be chartered. But yes, I can shape the colony from it's first day.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Being a member of a colony was one of the greatest experiences of college, probably my life. The potential for leadership and shaping your world is endless. Like the others said, you can always be an active alum within your chapter and continue to guide your colony toward its charter and beyond. You can also set the tone for the relationship between your alum and actives for years to come.

When our chapter was installed, we invited all our alum who had been through the colony process but graduated already back for installation. It was amazing to have all our women initiated together after all our work and dedication. I am proud to say I am a charter member of my sorority.

Last, I don't know what your potential organization's policy/timeline is on advisers, but you could always continue in that capacity as well
Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAlamb View Post
You can also set the tone for the relationship between your alum and actives for years to come.
Exactly, and this is SO important. The recruiter probably saw in you, among other things, that you would be someone who could be an active alum and make those connections between alums and collegians work.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

^ Recruiter said the same thing. Alumni for such a young colony are extremely important.

Just accepted my bid. Can't wait till pledgeship starts.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
Just accepted my bid. Can't wait till pledgeship starts.
Congrats!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats. Any chance you can PM me the fraternity? I'm curious.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OHNOITSJESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Congrats. Any chance you can PM me the fraternity? I'm curious.
I believe he mentioned it in an earlier post in this thread.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofM-TKE View Post
The people who have replied to you speak from experience and offer good advice. But consider why they have replied to you. They don't know you and will never meet you, but they know what their Greek experience has meant to them and they hope that you will take this opportunity to join them. This should give you some insight into the opportunity before you. Your house is your house, but the world your house is in, is the rest of us and it is a good world and never ends.

You will probably live to be over 80 years old, but you will get this chance just once in those 80 years. If you reject this, you may well spend 60 years regretting it.

As the two Alpha Xis have said, you have most of 2 semesters left as an active and then a lifetime as an alumnus. As a senior, you will set the tone for the house.

As LaneSig has said, you can help found the alumni chapter next year, so you know that you will still be connected after graduation. You may become or assist the chapter adviser. A working Alumni chapter is very important to a colony or new chapter, so you will stay very involved in your house.

Its not one semester, its your life.

Good luck with you decision.
Awesome advice and I'm so glad you followed it. I think I speak for the rest of GC when I say, we look forward to hearing about your colonization journey! Welcome to the Greek Community!