GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,331
1 members and 1,330 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 08-18-2006, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Upper-tier vs. Lower-tier groups?

Recruitment starts in about 2 weeks for me, and I'm really excited. I've been reading all of the rush threads (I think I'm an addict now, too haha), and I've noticed on several different occasions that people have referred to different chapters as being a top-tier group or a lower-tier group. I was just wondering what was meant by that. Aside from obvious things like chapter size, what type of criteria do people use to rank chapters? Or is it mostly just "tent talk" and reputation that makes a group "better"? I'm always skeptical of basing my oppinions solely on reputation though. One quote I that actually remember from my highschool English class: "Reputation is oft got without merit, and lost without deserving."

Aside from the type of people I know my friends to be, I know nothing about the reputations of the different houses that they belong to (which I see as a benefit since I definitely want to go in with an open mind), but from an outsider's perspective, it seems like all of the chapters on my campus are strong with great girls I'd appreciate any insight you all have!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

You have a good start on the top tier if you're in knits and pearls.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

All of our chapters are strong with great girls.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitsnpurls
Aside from the type of people I know my friends to be, I know nothing about the reputations of the different houses that they belong to (which I see as a benefit since I definitely want to go in with an open mind), but from an outsider's perspective, it seems like all of the chapters on my campus are strong with great girls I'd appreciate any insight you all have!

Take this attitude and run with it. Forget about tiers. It means nothing if you're in a "top-tier" sorority, but are completely uncomfortable.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the responses Sailboat Sis - It's great to hear that coming from someone already active at UNC. It makes me even more excited to visit all of the houses for myself
Old 08-18-2006, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

knitsnpurls, also keep in mind that Phi Mu will be recolonizing at UNC, I am assuming during spring 2007. I'm not sure if they will be participating in formal recruitment in 2007. I'm not telling you this because I think you'll have a difficult rush as a junior, but because it's something to keep in mind if you don't find a house you fall in love with in two weeks, but really want to be involved in a sorority. I for one can't wait for their recolonization; it'll be great to have ten houses!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I had forgotten about that. I'll be sure to keep that in mind in case things don't work out this fall. Will there be information about that posted around campus closer to the time, or would that be something to check up on with the Greek Affairs office?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Greek Affairs will know more. I'm surprised it hasn't been more public. Apparently there was quite the party at Top of the Hill this summer for Phi Mu alums.

Best of luck to you during rush!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:43 PM

Ths whole "top tier/low tier" thing is just hearsay, rumor, and opinions of others. It's nothing factual or concrete and is totally subjective. You need to go through recruitment and join the sorority that is best for YOU. Not the one that the frats/your friends/your bf/whoever says is "top tier".

I know a girl who joined a chapter solely because this one is considered "the best" by all the fraternities. She was miserable and dropped a week after initiation. She knew all along she would probably have fit better in another chapter, but she thought she'd feel better about joining the "top tier" chapter after initiation. She didn't, and she was really upset when she realized that since she was initiated, she couldn't join another chapter.

Moral of the story: you are choosing the chapter that fits best for YOU. If you go by whatever anyone else says, you could potentially end up somewhere you're not entirely happy with.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-18-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

That sucks that she wasn't able to join the chapter that was a better fit. But I know how friends can influence a decision. I would definitely be upset.

And just to make it clear in case some are reading into it, it's not that I'm looking to join the "top" chapter on campus...unless it was a fit of course It's just that, when someone mentions a top-tier school (like...Harvard) vs. a low-tier school (Party U), I know what type of differences there would be (graduation rates, partying, admissions, etc...). With sororities, it seems like there are so many great people (in most cases) that it'd be hard to say one chapter is better than another.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitsnpurls
One quote I that actually remember from my highschool English class: "Reputation is oft got without merit, and lost without deserving."
This is is an incredibly accurate quote particularly in regards to Greek organizations.

Something else to keep in mind. It's been my experience that campus reputations can lag behind reality by several years. At a minimum a college generation of 4 years but often longer. It takes time to get the word out and for people to witness changes, both good and bad.