GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,488
2 members and 2,486 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 05-10-2002, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation FLASHBACK to your PROM

Tonight is the prom for the school I teach at. The seniors this year were my first class ever -- my babies and I cannot wait to see some of them all gussied up and stuff.

Anyway, I was thinking back to my prom 9 years ago -- it was not what I wanted it to be mainly due to my date.

Did you go to your prom?
What did you wear? Colors?
Were you prom king/queen?
Did you go with someone special or friend?
What was your prom theme?
How much did your prom cost? Some proms now have ish prices?

Tell me all.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: FLASHBACK to your PROM

Did you go to your prom?

Yes I went

I wore white long dress. My back was out with a criss cross tie across my back. A little bit of my sides were out as well. It was very cute. I got a lot of compliments. Even from older people. I was a bit surpised because I was showing so much skin. They said it was done tastefully and I looked elegant.

I was not the queen

He was one of my good friends

"If Only For One Night"

Its only been for years and I can't really remember the details. I just know I spent a total of about $700 including the dress, hair, nails, pictures, the general prom fee, and the trip to Gurnee, Illinois to shop and go to Six Flags Great America.

Last edited by candygirl; 05-10-2002 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

17 years! Boy, do I feel old.

I went to my prom with my HS sweetheart who attended our brother school (we went to his Jr and my Sr). Since many of our classmates dated each other, we saw many of the same faces.

We wore Royal Blue and White ( ) and arrived in a white limo. Our theme was "If Only for One Night"; it was expensive because traditionally we held our prom at the Bellevue Stratford Hotel, a very old and distinguished hotel in Philly. I believe the hotel is no longer open.

Boy, those were the days...
Old 05-10-2002, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Memorial Day Weekend 1993

I am loving that you 2 both had the same prom theme as I did. If Only For One Night

BTW SOROR McCoy 1985, I was in the 4th grade still wearing stirrups and pony tails.

I wore a turquoise dress trimmed in pearls that my mother made for me. I loved the hell out of that dress. No high school sweetheart for me. Instead I went with this lame o who could not slow dance to save his life. Keep in mind that my prom was the summer of Silk's FREAK ME and H-TOWN'S Knocking the Boots.
**I ditched him @ Cedar Point that Sunday**

Our prom was held at Landerhaven this ritzy ball room. After prom was held at the Mediterranean. That Saturday night we went to see the premeire of Menace to Society.

Our prom for a couple was $95 -- that was for prom, after prom and Cedar Point tickets for 2. My dress was made and we went in on the car with another couple.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 05-12-2002 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you go to your prom?
Yes, I went to both my junior and senior prom, but this info is about my senior prom

a red satin(with lace) floor length off the shoulder gown

nope

Just a friend. He, my best friend, and her date rented a room in the hotel along with pretty much everyone else on the same floor, so that we could have one big party and just stroll around from room to room or hang out in the hallway. Anyway, around 3am, I and my best friend were getting sleepy wanted to go lie down. Our dates said cool and then left the room to go hang up with everyone else. Anyway, I later found out that my date was accused of raping one of our classmates that night! Apparently after we and my friend went to sleep, he went to the room across the hall and raped one of our classmates that was to drunk to stop him. WOW!!! After that, I purposely lost touch with him.

Saved the Best For Last

How much did your prom cost? Some proms now have ish prices
Well, this was in 1993 but our prom tickets were $30 I think. We had it at some building called the Cotillion. I think I might have spent about $150 on the dress.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Anyway, I later found out that my date was accused of raping one of our classmates that night! Apparently after we and my friend went to sleep, he went to the room across the hall and raped one of our classmates that was to drunk to stop him. WOW!!! After that, I purposely lost touch with him.

Giiiiiiirl me oh my.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Three_Love
Re: FLASHBACK to your PROM

Did you go to your prom?
I went to both my jr. prom and senior prom. At my high school, the junior class planned the prom and I was jr. class president, so I pretty much had to go. We also have an "After Prom" at our school, and I went to the afterprom my sophomore - senior years.

I wore a red satin floor-length dress to the prom. Actually, it was a "shirt and skirt" which my mom made - the pattern I picked actually was a shirt and skirt rather than a dress, LOL. My man did the black tux, red cumberbund thang. Soror Mccoyred...oooh, I'm still laughing picturing you and your man in royal blue and white...HEE HEE!! I wore a black lace tea length dress to my jr. prom, and actually had a better time and looked better there than I did at my senior prom.

No, and I was HOT about it, LOL. That year, they decided that each organization would nominate a couple for prom king/queen, and I just KNEW that since I was cheerleader captain that the cheerleaders would nominate me and my man. Those knuckleheads nominated ANOTHER COUPLE, and I was PIZZED!! I think the football team ended up nominating me and my man tho, but two TOTAL GOOBERS won. Everyone was like, HUH???

Oh, I went with my high school sweetheart to both my jr. and senior proms. In other words, a STRAIGHT UP KNUCKLEHEAD. Trip this, two of my friends came to the senior prom without a date, so my man, being the nice (CONCEITED) guy that he is, took photos with them. And do you know that those heffa's photos came out BETTER THAN MINE?? I was, again, pizzed.

Chalk up another point for Luther V. - "If Only For One Night" was also my prom theme. Class of 1986 - In the Mix!!!

A prom bid (for a couple) was either $65-75 I believe, and it was held at a hotel - the LAX Hilton I believe. Someone usually has a champagne party beforehand (a la Beverly Hills 90210, remember when Donna got drunk and they weren't going to let her graduate??). Anyway, for our money, we got dinner and a champagne glass that said our school name, the theme and date and such (lawd, I probably still have those glasses somewheres...). The After Prom cost $40 a couple, and lasted from 2 - 6 am or something like that, and they served a breakfast buffet. The next day (Saturday), we'd all go to Six Flags Magic Mountain. My car broke down just as I arrived at Six Flags, and I had to bum a ride home. Again, me, pizzed.

So...I don't really have fond memories of the prom...
(but my date didn't rape anybody, YIKES!!!)
Old 05-10-2002, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyPetite
Talking

My prom was five years ago...class of 1997. (Senior Prom)

I didn't go to Junior Prom, but I did go to Senior Prom.

I wore a red floor length crepe satin dress. It was form fitting and the straps crisscrossed in the back. For some reason, red was the color that year. I have a picture with all the girls who wore red to the prom, and let's just say, everyone didn't fit in the picture! (I believe like, 75-100 ladies wore red out of about 200) I must admit my dress was one of the better looking dresses, because I got compliments all night. Looking back, the combination of my hairstyle and the dress and accessories really made me look like an elegant young lady. (Some of my classmates looked like they stepped out of a Luke Freakfest Video, with all the chest and backside that was showing.)

You know, at my school, we didn't do that. We had something called a Valhalla (our school mascot was the Vikings) court that was picked during Homecoming Week...that was the big thing. No one cared about the prom king/queen thing.

Did you go with someone special?
I had a boyfriend at the time, but I really didn't want him to come (he went to another school), so I didn't bring a date. Amongst my clique at the time, it was planned that we would all go solo. So, about 10-15 of us piled into a stretch limo, and did the stag thing. A lot of folx went stag at our prom.

What was your Prom Theme?
This was a Keith Sweat Prom--Make It Last Forever was the theme. The colors were Silver and White (we called it White and Dirty White, since the silver balloons and things that the committee purchased DIDN'T LOOK SILVER. )

How much did your prom cost?
Well my ticket was...65 dollars, but add the price of a 150-200 dress (I don't remember the exact price) plus limo...spending $$$ afterwards (we hit South Beach...we didn't have an after prom event), and an 'after prom outfit'...I know my mother (cuz I didn't have a j.o.b. ) spent a good 500-600 dollars. Our prom was held at the Airport Radisson in Miami, and it wasn't all that. To be honest, it was a real ghettofabulous production. My sister's prom was much better (she graduated from the same school three years after me) and her ticket was the same price.

My prom was alright. I'm glad I experienced it, but it wasn't the best night of my high school life--I had more fun at Homecoming, lol.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DramaQueen42401 Send a message via Yahoo to DramaQueen42401
I went to the prom, my senior year in high school (2000).

I wore a long, shimmering white dress with silver lines running all through it. The back was completely out, with criss cross straps that connected the neck with the sides.

The only thing I reign is the throne of drama, lol.

Initially, I was dateless, so I rode there with a friend of mine who also had no date. But, when I got there, this guy who claimed he had been admiring me for a lil while asked me to be his date! On the night of the prom ! So, I figured, hey, this is my only prom, why not just accept his offer and enjoy it to the fullest?

There has to be an epidemic, b/c "If Only For One Night" was our theme too. I think schools just go from which prom favors they like best from those prom catalogs, lol.

I think the prom ticket was between $50 and $60.

All in all, prom was tight. I danced all night and didn't sweat a bit! Thank God for air conditioning, in a room filled with black folks, and Secret deoderant, shhhhhh. Lol.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Prom Report

Prom was cool. For the most part, my babies looked nice. I kept getting asked to dance. I finally did the Cha Cha slide.

Now let me tell y'all about the ONE outrageous outfit that we had!

One of my former students and her date wore white and orange coordinating outfits. Not bad you say??

YALL THE OUTFIT WAS ORANGE AND WHITE DUCT TAPE!!!! I swear. I felt it and e'erythang.
I took pictures too. You have to have goo gobs of courage to wear that as well as tons of spare deodorant.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Prom Report

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
YALL THE OUTFIT WAS ORANGE AND WHITE DUCT TAPE!!!! I swear. I felt it and e'erythang.
I took pictures too. You have to have goo gobs of courage to wear that as well as tons of spare deodorant.
CTHU!

Maybe they couldn't afford a dress and tux, that stuff can get expensive.

Did you go to your prom?

I went to my Junior and Senior Proms. I had more fun and the junior but looked a million times better at the senior prom.

I wore a strapless champaign colored gown that had a bustier top (kind-of) and just a little bit of a train. I wanted my date to have on a black tux with the shirt, tie and vest all made in the same fabric of my dress but he was too cheap to pay the seamstress to make it for him, and I dayum sure wasn't going to pay for it.

No, in my high school only the people at the prom voted for the prom king and queen. Normally, not many black people went, so no black people ever won.

At the time he was a mixture of a special someone and a friend. One of my friends calls that "a friend with privileges."

Again, the black people in my school didn't really take part in student council. So, our ideas were normally voted down. For my junior prom, it was "A Time to Remember" and for the Senior Prom it was "Wonderful Tonight."

The senior was way more expensive. The tickets were only $75 for a couple but my dress was almost $300 because I had it made by a seamstress. My hair was $75. The pictures were another $65 and I didn't even like them so I never let anybody have any. We went to Six Flags the next day, so that was about another $150. And, we rented a luxury car for the weekend instead of a limo for one night so that added on another $200-$300.

I spent all of this money and we were only at the prom for about an hour and a half. I can say that we had a ball at the after prom though.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Prom Report

Quote:
Originally posted by ClassyLady

CTHU!

Maybe they couldn't afford a dress and tux, that stuff can get expensive.
Girl please they came to prom in a JAGUAR!!!

I don't know when was the last time you priced duct tape but umm err to have enough for a dress ( full length), his suit and hat was probably the equivalent to a dress and tux. I forgot to tell you all that old boy has orange hair (for over a year) and an orange beard.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Prom Report

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

Girl please they came to prom in a JAGUAR!!!

I don't know when was the last time you priced duct tape but umm err to have enough for a dress ( full length), his suit and hat was probably the equivalent to a dress and tux. I forgot to tell you all that old boy has orange hair (for over a year) and an orange beard.
PLease, oh please post pix of this when you get them Soror!

I cannot even draw a mental picture of this.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: home of the nation's highest car insurance rates :(
Send a message via Yahoo to stillwater15
Did you go to your prom?

yes and it sucked.

a long red dress. my date word a black tux w/red bowtie, etc.

no

he and i were just friends

whatever song was popular by atlantic starr back in '90. but it wasn't secret lovers.

How much did your prom cost?

dress, tickets, shoes and all that stuff cost less than $100. i looked nice, only because my mother knew how to really stretch a dollar.

ironically, my fondest prom memory is falling down a flight of steps, dress all up in the air, heel bent, the works. embarassing yes, but funny as all get out.
Old 05-14-2002, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to crimsinqt_dst
Ah, Prom

Actually, by the time my own prom came around I was a veteran, I was fortunate enough to go to three proms prior to my own. Needless to say I sold the dresses from those events (my closet looked like a disco ball) to purchase my prom gown. I went to my prom by myself. I had my uncle's convertible Allante (I know you remember those!) and I wore a honey brown Issac Mizrahi gown which is still off tha hook, and I can still get into (okay, i'm lying now). I don't remember who the King was, but I know the Queen didn't graduate. Our theme was "Tonights the Night" (Blackstreet song).