GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,383
1 members and 1,382 guests
Sarak24034

Old 09-03-2000, 07:09 PM

Talking College Rankings

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/corank.htm

The USNews rankings are out...and they ranked colleges by the percentage in sororities or fraternities! Answering a lot of questions that have come up before.

Looks like the #1 school with 97% is Clearwater Christian College in Florida.
Old 09-03-2000, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Let's not forget the University of Richmond!

Number 1 Southern University for the 7th straight year!!!!!! A 100% ranking!!!!!!!!

just wondering...were you trying to be funny about Christian Clearwater College? They're ranked in the third tier of southern liberal arts colleges, they don't have a #1 ranking. They don't even rank after the top 25, they're after at least #69...not sure what the 97% thing is. Sorry, just confused..not trying to be obnoxious in the least! Just hoping you could clear that up...
Old 09-03-2000, 11:32 PM

Talking

Clearwater Christian College ranked #1 in the %age of students in fraternities and sororities. 97% are in a Greek org, which would make around 620 of the 641 students there.

This was down on the bottom in the "online only" ratings.

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited September 04, 2000).]
Old 09-04-2000, 02:20 AM

Angry

Yup, I meant 1st place in percentage of Greeks.

I'd really encourage everyone to check out their school's profile. I wish UCSD was as good as it says. There were so many mistakes that it's pathetic. Where do they get that info?! I guess when you're ranked so well you don't argue with the lies.

Some examples:

Apparently my school has 19 fraternities and 14 sororities! Hmm...Where are they hiding the rest of them?

All their members must be part of the 3,000
students that were not counted.

When did my school get stuck in a City setting. They better come tear out all the trees and canyons!

Avg. HS GPA: 3.90! That one guy that I met with a 3.3 must have been counted multiple times. It's really more like 4.10!

Ethnicity: Asian-American 34% White 53%
More like 44% and 43%!

My favorite is that 48% of classes have less than 20 students! Throw on another zero and drop the percentage to 30% and I might believe it. My smallest class was still more than 100 students!

The Fiske Profile was hilarious too. According to it we have a Renaissance Faire and a Reggae Festival. WHATEVER! But it doesn't mention the one thing that students look foward to all year. SUNGOD FESTIVAL!!!
Old 09-04-2000, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone! You really cleared that up

My school's profile was off on a few things too! Where do they get some of that info? They forgot important varsity sports (our synchronized swim team is nationally ranked--and men's swimming and diving and water polo don't exist anymore!), claim there is no special housing for international students (the 2 International Houses are BEAUTIFUL residence halls for them), etc.......

Well, I guess with so many schools, it's hard to get everything right!
Old 09-05-2000, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm wondering if the false information is from bad communication, lack of research, or the schools giving wrong information. Certain things about my schools information tended to be sketchy. First, it says there is close to 5,000 students on the campus. . . yeah right! There's MAYBE 4,000. When I was there there was 3,600. I know for a fact they were itching for housing at that point, and I know NOW that they haven't added any. There's no WAY they could hold that many students. Another thing that got me was the percent of students living on campus. They say 25%, yet it's a REQUIREMENT for students to live on campus, unless commuting, and there are very few commuters, most of the students that attend Shepherd are out of state students from Maryland. If I had to guess a percent it would be like 65% live on campus. 47% of classes are 20 or less, I'd say about 60%, 2% over 50--I've never seen a class over 50 there. A lot of the class rooms are tiny, smaller than my highschool class rooms--and my high school graduating class was 98. But the one that REALLY got me was the stats on Greeks. It was beyond off. They were correct in the number of fraternities and sororities as far as social organizations go, but they didn't include professionals, but number of fraternity members 1%, number of sorority members 1%. That is so wrong. I think the school provided that information because it's been known now for a long time that the school officials would like for the greek organizations to die out. Out of all students living on campus, I would say that 50% are greek, off campus students- 20%.