GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,545
0 members and 1,545 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2000, 04:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Post IMAGE IS NOTHING...

I've seen from time to time people post a topic to try and get a concensus about how their orgs. are perceived around the country. Well I'm here to ask, why is it important. I'm not trying to be condescending in anyway. I just wanna know. I joined my org. not because of the pretty boy, womanizing image. One of my mentors was a memeber and through him I was able to see through the stereotypes and find out what a great org. it was. I was aligned with it's principles and philanthropic efforts in the African-American community. Therefore, that's why I joined. Therefore it doesn't matter to me if the NUPES of XYZ university run the yard ( this means most popular on campus). As long as we as an organization continue to live our founders', like Janet Jackson says "Doesn't really matter". I say all of this to say think about why you joined. Was it because they had the biggest house on campus? Did they get the most attention from the opposite sex on campus? Did they have the tightest probate and stepshows on the yard? Did they throw the best socials or parties? Think about it. Peace and I'm out.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2000, 11:38 AM
Yup

Question

NUPE4LIFE,
I have wondered the same thing! I see many posts from people asking "how is XYZ on your campus?" or "I am transfering to ABC campus and I want to know if I should affiliate with my organization there." For me, there would be no question! I thought brotherhood/sisterhood meant taking the good with the not-so-good, and unconditional love. If I transfered to another campus, and my organization had a "bad" rep, I would get in there and do my best to help my sisters put their best forward! Further, if you want to know how your members at another campus "are," why not invite them to your campus and get to know them personally, instead of relying on what anonymous visitors to this board have to say?

Old 08-19-2000, 11:39 AM
Yup

Oops, sorry, NUPE, if it seemed like that entire post was directed at you personally. I should not have hit return right there

Old 08-20-2000, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

good points!!! for those that are not yet affiliated with a greek organization, the last thing you should be concerned about when trying to decide which sorority/fraternity to join is "who has the best reputation."

do your research!! get information on the org's foundation, history, national programs, local projects, and their purpose in the community and decide from there......

good luck to everyone!!
Old 08-22-2000, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree NUPE4LIFE and PRETTYPOODLE...

I think that you should join an organization that you can be proud of wherever you go...even in the face of adversity...

You're gonna here disappointing things about any org...however, can you be proud of the legacy as a whole when the org is being downgraded?...

can you hold it down by yourself...

One thing that I really like about some BGLOs is that even though they are small in number (in that area) they will hold it down for their org...

I've been places where its only been 1-3 members of an org...and they will still rep.

That's heart...that's love...

Much Love to the Pretty Poodle and Pretty Boy!

06 -- to my frat,
PHI-SKEE -- to my sorors,

I am,

The Ice Cold Kreator

[This message has been edited by Ice Cold Kreator (edited August 22, 2000).]
Old 08-22-2000, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Very well said all!

Let's be real. NONE of our organizations truly follow a stereotype. I dare say the Founders of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated would have ever been so consumed with the notion of "prettiness".
Come on now! ACHIEVEMENT. Dare I say more?!

The foundation of the all our NPHC organizations are very profound particularly in the context of the time in which we were all founded.

I am still amazed that my Mother Pearls were bold enough to start a new sorority in 1920...the DEPRESSION...and it was no social club. (Okay, they did their share of socializing). But 5 young women 17-20 years old embarked upon an agenda that spoke to necessity of educating our people to empower themselves and in turn the community at large. Scholarship!

Back in the early 20s my sister greeks were supporting each other with all of their differences...it was about the collective agenda. When Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was introduced to "society" and the "public" the AKAs and DSTs were there playing sister hostesses.

This should not suprise anyone. Let's be clear Black people...African descendants... did not have rights as we do now...no eating amongst the white populace in public places let alone living together. Very profound. And although, Washington, D.C. is a predominately African American living space (its still does not have statehood and is not classified as a city) it is south of the mason dixon line.

I say all of this to say...let's get back to addressing the real agenda...it's not about image...its about empowering our communities through scholarship, service and love for all humankind.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 08-22-2000, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thrist is Everything!! lol..drink sprite..just wanted to say that....ok
Old 08-22-2000, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I agree totally! I've posted about this before yet still you see repeatedly the whole "How do you feel about XYZ on your campus?" What is the deal? Glad to hear others feel the same way! If one organization was the best on every single campus and in every single community, we wouldn't have need for so many different org's! But because we all have strengths in different areas, we can all join together as greeks working to make a difference! And that is what really matters!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"
Old 08-22-2000, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Monique:
Thrist is Everything!! lol..drink sprite..just wanted to say that....ok
Monique, you are crazy girl!! I was going to post the exact reply! OBEY YOUR THIRST!! I just couldn't resist!