GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,997
0 members and 1,997 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2000, 09:19 PM
Artimis

While I understand that not all GO's [Greek Organizations] fall under IFC/NIC, NPHC, NPC, they are governing councils that the fraternities and sororites can be generalized in. If I said all NPC sororities prohibit hazing. That policy is verifiable. While use of these terms exclude locals, and small nationals, they're traditions and practices can vary from location to location and many of the National organizations are too young to necessarly follow the restrictions of the governing councils.

Now with my opinon with regards to the use of GLO's, WGLO's, BGLO,... I have always seen the use of GLO as a catagory for any brotherhood or sisterhood that has taken on Greek letters to name their organization. (also including some of those that havn't: ie: Triangle, Farm House). But I'm hesitant to justify the use of WGLO or GLO to exclusively refer to any org that isn't a BGLO, LGLO, etc. (or visa versas). Because BGLO's and LGLO's (and other similiar) have as part of their mission and focus to promote and uplift a specific community of people, use of BGLO or LGLO, or MCGLO may be approriate. But even these terms are misnombers as to the uninformed may imply to an exclusion based on heritage. Another reason don't like the term "WGLO" is many refer to these groups as "historically white". However, some of these older groups were not tolernate of non-Protestant religions. Thus while many blacks may have felt shuned/prohibited from these groups so were Catholic and Jewish students. And I'm sure that certain European nationalalities were shyed away from as well. While some of these "WGLO's" may still be predominatly white, and may have been initially exclusionary to "whites", to call them a WGLO would be to draw a parrallel with say BGLO. I think through privious discussion, most will agree that the fundentals of purpose and beliefs on which NPHC organizations vs NPC and IFC organizations are based upon are completely different.

This draws me to a question.. what about greek organizations that have formed in the last 20 years? Some of them are note traditionally of any "race". Where do they fall in? What do you think their impact on the greek system will be?

[This message has been edited by Artimis (edited August 19, 2000).]
Old 08-18-2000, 11:48 PM
AmieLynn

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by alpha1906:

GLO's have an overwhelmingly white membership. That is a fact.
And BGLO's have an overwhelmingly black membership. That is a fact.

By the way - as is well documented in research, a person cannot say "white" to describe one group, and "African-American" to describe another or "Caucasian" and "Black" - if you use "Black" you must use "White" and if you use "Caucasian" you must use "African-American"

Old 08-19-2000, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I really wanted to stay away from this, but once again, I just couldn't help myself. And I apologize now for this being long as hell, but I had to let it out

Artimis, you've made some good points in your posts. I'd like to address some of the other points you made that were of a concern to you. And this isn't necessarily to just Artimis but to anyone else who would care to respond.
I'll start at the end of your post where you ask:
Quote:
This draws me to a question.. what about greek organizations that have formed in the last 20 years? Some of them are note traditionally of any "race". Where do they fall in? What do you think their impact on the greek system will be?
Well as everyone on this board should know by now, I am a part of a multicultural sorority. So to answer your question of "where do they fall in?" Well we obviously don't fall into the "black", "white", "latino" or "asian" greek orgs becuz we've got'em all! Therefore, we make up our own category: multicultural Simple as that.

Now, what is our impact on the greek system? Well it is my sorority's desire and part of our purpose to create a more unified campus and community. That means doing things that will bring students of all races, backgrounds, creeds, nationalities together--greek or not. That's what we want to do and are doing. As far as our impact on specifically the greek community goes... All I can say is that my org has come up w/ quite a few ideas to better unify the greeks at my school. I have stated on another board that the greeks at my school aren't that unified in many different lights. So many, that I could probably write a novel! But that's what we are trying to do. The greeks we have encountered on my campus accept us because it goes w/out a doubt that regardless of our skin color, histories, colors, and letters, we are all greek! And as greeks, most of us have a duty to help our respective communities. Therefore, as a multicultural org, we are trying to create an atmosphere where ALL greeks will come together and do things like community service or programs together that will benefit our campus. I think as a multicultural org we will definitely create a positive impact on the greek system b/c at my school, the greek system is very segregated.

Now to address this whole WGLO/BGLO issue. I myself try not to say "white sororities and fraternities". I really try not to. But I think that there can be a number of reasons why we need to differentiate b/t them. For example, on my campus, the NPC/IFC orgs are predominantly, predominantly white. The percentage of minorities w/in the Panhel and IFC is 2%. So if you were on my campus and see virtually NO minorities (ie black, indian, latino, etc) w/in these systems, tell me how would you distinguish them from the BGLOs or the LGLOs or even my org, a MCGLO? They have been that way for the past 4 and 1/2 years I've been at my school. The same goes for the BGLOs on my campus. They have been predominantly, predominantly black. I can make this statement for the LGLOs and the AGLOs on my campus as well. So if your campus has a mixture of ethnicities w/in the NPC or IFC or even BGLO groups, then maybe you don't need to differentiate by ethnic identity. Maybe you can say, "Oh she's in XYZ" and everyone will know what org you're talking about. But at my school..ha ha...you try going up to someone who's in the NPC and say "hey the So and Sos are having a party next week". I can GUARANTEE you that the first thing they'll think about will be all the orgs w/in Panhel and IFC. If they can't place it, they'll probably look at you like "what?" So on my campus, you HAVE to say "Oh, XYZ, that's one of the BGLOs" or else folks will be looking like "what the hell?...who's that?"

Another reason I tend to identify orgs based on white, black, latino is b/c of who they chose to uplift in the community. Ok, now I know that the "white" GLOs are saying "but we weren't founded to help/uplift/support whites, etc, etc."

Ok, damn good point. So I ask this: who did your founders chose to help/uplift when they started out? Let a sista know!

Were your founders uplifting blacks? Nope. Were your founders uplifting latino/as? Nope. Were they uplifing asians? Nope. Umm, well I'm running outta ethnicities here...oh were they uplifting indians (those from SE Asia/India) or were they uplifting Native Americans? Nope and nope. So who does that leave us w/? Hmmmm? If you say your founders were helping the community back in the day, then what "community" might that have been? Cuz the way I'm seeing it, blacks (and other ethnic groups) weren't even allowed in these orgs so I doubt they were helping other ethnic groups if they didn't even see them fit to be in the orgs in the first place! But hey, if I'm wrong, please do correct me!

I'm not trying to be mean about all this cuz what it all comes down to is: "to each his/her own". I personally think that we can debate/argue about this until we are blue/peach/pink/red/gold/black/green/maroon/purple/white/brown in the face! People are gonna refer to a particular org in the way that they see fit to. I say that for those who are new to the greek system, it's all about research, research, research! If you are planning on joining a sorority/fraternity, yet you are upset/concerned about why they are called this or that--do us a favor and just read up on it and you can decide for yourself what you wanna call it. Or better yet, ask the members what they'd like to be called. That way you don't offend anyone. Hell, I'm damn proud to be in a multicultural org and ya'll can call my org that anytime cuz that's what we are!! All this technical wording and stuff is nothing but stress. So let's de-stress and worry about something else.

peace
oh and if you've got issues w/ my post, please email the hate directly to me. Don't torture other GCers with it. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited August 19, 2000).]
Old 08-20-2000, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
My first statement is very important to me. In no way are my opinions or words meant to attack anyone's organization. I want to be part of this discussion without conflict, so please do not get upset with my post if I make any “wrong” statements, I'm just trying to discuss this. So please do not take my opinions personally if they offend you.

I think the term BGLO is condescending. It sets a negative tone, in my opinion, towards the older “white” Greek organizations stating that we have pushed one group away and forced them to create a separate group. I would of never believed this to be true no matter how my fraternity started. We have white founders, but they started our fraternity because of exclusion from the group. I strongly believe my chapter is one of the most diverse groups on campus. Less than 50% of my house would be categorized as "white" by racial/ethnic definitions. Does it matter how we started? I certainly don’t see how it has any relevance to the term WGLO, it just seems to label every fraternity as a branch of the KKK, and that’s a degrading concept. I apologize if no one else sees what I’m saying, I’m not trying to anger anyone here, but this is how I’m perceiving this whole thing. When I hear WGLO, I’m trying to figure out why someone feels that I’m not just a GLO, but a WGLO. Because my origin is white, I have subjugated all fraternities of african american origin? That’s just beyond absurdity!
Alpha 1906, the reason why I made the statement about the term BGLO being formed on this board was because even with all the different fraternity/sorority orgs. at my college, no one, not even the "minority" orgs. have ever used or referred to themselves as BGLOs. I'm sorry if this statement offended you, I apologize to everyone for that.
This isn't about me or anyone else being right or wrong, I hope no one is seriously looking for a “winning” side to this debate. I just believe if this sort of separation continues as is, people will never stop discriminating against each other. Creating these terms appears to divide us further, I don’t like that at all. Everyone should be proud of their origins and have respect for who they are, but don’t use it to make your group sound superior to the rest. I don’t think I’m ignoring any issue if I chose to call everyone a GLO, and I never thought it would be so complicated to understand.

Thank you for reading,

RUgreek
Old 08-21-2000, 03:18 PM
Delta695

Lightbulb

I think the answer to your question lies in history. I think you need to look at and understand why black fraternities and sororities were established. If you are new to greekdom than I suggest you get with an older memeber of your organization and ask them to share some knowledge. I'm not trying to come across crass, but when I pledge Delta, we were taught why black fraternites and sororities were established. Good Luck
Old 08-21-2000, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I appreciate everyone for their comments and critisism. My question has been answered and I didn't mean for this to get out of hand as it did.

Delta695 - I don't know if you were referring to me or not but I do know and understand why black sororities and fraternities were establish. I was just confused on not having much knowledge on the other GO's. Thanks for your comment though.

I appreciate everyone's help and concerns!

------------------
Ivypearl98

[This message has been edited by Ivypearl98 (edited August 21, 2000).]