GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,459
3 members and 2,456 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Arkansas' late to the party.

Oh well, it's coming up soon enough.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
AGDLynn - PM her - she can give you some info!

Thank you DoctorD. I will get in touch with her so I won't be such a know nothing when rush starts.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to all of the UGA moms and daughters! My source in Athens says everything is going well so far. Keep us updated from your end!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axoalum View Post
Okay...as an SEC girl, I follow this thread every year. This year, however, I have a daughter at a smaller school-West Georgia. Does anyone know anything about how rush goes over there? I am used to the nail biters of UGA and Auburn but am a complete fish out of water with the seemingly laid back rush that will start in two weeks at UWG. Any help out there?
No advice but I'm jealous! How nice it would be to have my girl going thru a small school rush right about now.

Good luck to your girl!
Old 08-14-2008, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
No advice but I'm jealous! How nice it would be to have my girl going thru a small school rush right about now.

Good luck to your girl!
Auburn Mom: Mine's going thru what I thought would be a "smaller" school rush. Trust me..it's not that different LOL! We figured out that if you go by the number of PNM's, number of houses, it's almost identical to Alabama's figures, just on a smaller scale. Still the same anxious feelings, the waiting on the phone calls etc... I almost long for the days when there was just a land line, no voice mail and once a week phone calls My parents didn't have a clue what was going on with me during rush. In fact I don't think I called them until the day after squeal day, come to think of it.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh I'm sure you're just as nervous. I shouldn't have assumed! This week has been so nerve wracking, I'm glad it's almost over! Good luck to your girl!

Good luck to the UGA girls. My sister lives in Athens and I absolutely love that town. I have wished a million times I had gone to college there.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Auburn Mom: Mine's going thru what I thought would be a "smaller" school rush. Trust me..it's not that different LOL! We figured out that if you go by the number of PNM's, number of houses, it's almost identical to Alabama's figures, just on a smaller scale. Still the same anxious feelings, the waiting on the phone calls etc... I almost long for the days when there was just a land line, no voice mail and once a week phone calls My parents didn't have a clue what was going on with me during rush. In fact I don't think I called them until the day after squeal day, come to think of it.
AXOMom: Lamplighter is absolutely correct, in both the actual process and in a mom's feelings!! And that's how its its at West Ga.-though it's a smaller school, it is still in the South, sundresses and heels will be worn, and girls are competing for the same slots. What I do think is great about West Ga. is that the sororities all "mix" well during the school year. So if your daughter and her friends end up going different ways, they will still enjoy socializing around campus. I do hope she'll have a successful rush. Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

West Georgia

I'm a UWG alumna and "product" of their Greek system. I would not classify recruitment as uber competitive per se, but it can be a heart breaker if your daughter goes in wanted to be an ABC or an XYZ. A lot of the local girls think they know where they are going the day they get there, but it doesn't tend to work like that. Rec's are good to have, but they aren't a potential deal breaker like at other southern universities.

Unlike 10 years ago when 1 or 2 groups stood out for various reasons, the chapters are pretty similar now and there isn't a "bad" group in the bunch. I am still involved as an alumna and the girls out there are really top notch and getting more successful each year in every chapter.

Best part.....NEW HOUSES next year! It is going to be a very exciting year for the campus! You have good sources of information on here. My history with the campus as an alumna and past advisor. AGDLynn is a good source of information as a past advisor and BBelleADPi who's daughter is in a UWG sorority currently.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDTrish View Post
I'm a UWG alumna and "product" of their Greek system. I would not classify recruitment as uber competitive per se, but it can be a heart breaker if your daughter goes in wanted to be an ABC or an XYZ. A lot of the local girls think they know where they are going the day they get there, but it doesn't tend to work like that. Rec's are good to have, but they aren't a potential deal breaker like at other southern universities.

Unlike 10 years ago when 1 or 2 groups stood out for various reasons, the chapters are pretty similar now and there isn't a "bad" group in the bunch. I am still involved as an alumna and the girls out there are really top notch and getting more successful each year in every chapter.

Best part.....NEW HOUSES next year! It is going to be a very exciting year for the campus! You have good sources of information on here. My history with the campus as an alumna and past advisor. AGDLynn is a good source of information as a past advisor and BBelleADPi who's daughter is in a UWG sorority currently.

Good Luck!
Thanks so much for the info everyone! I feel like my girl has a healthy respect for the process. I am still active with my chapter @ UGA (I'll be helping at the house for prefs on Sunday) and her sister was at AU -not my sorority-so she knows to keep and open mind and not to zero in on one or two groups of girls. I suppose my source of anxiety is just the unknown. I am used to the hard hitting rush before classes begin and not the delayed rush-even though they do have a few events next week. By the way...what are those all about anyway? Is it to introduce everyone? Do the sororities use the opportunity to sort of "pre-select" ?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axoalum View Post
Thanks so much for the info everyone! I feel like my girl has a healthy respect for the process. I am still active with my chapter @ UGA (I'll be helping at the house for prefs on Sunday) and her sister was at AU -not my sorority-so she knows to keep and open mind and not to zero in on one or two groups of girls. I suppose my source of anxiety is just the unknown. I am used to the hard hitting rush before classes begin and not the delayed rush-even though they do have a few events next week. By the way...what are those all about anyway? Is it to introduce everyone? Do the sororities use the opportunity to sort of "pre-select" ?
A Southern chapter pre-selecting? Unheard of.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I know, I know....it just seems like this is rush even though it is not being billed as such. I actually like the idea and wish we had something similiar as my school or my older daughters. As it was, we had a hoard of girls coming through- most of whom we did not know- with only a rec from someone we also may or may not know. I think these activites are great for viewing both the actives and rushee's in a more natural enviornment. My advice to my girl so far has been to consider these as important as the formal rush which will start in two weeks. Am I on target? She just really wants to make an excellent impression to all of the sororities.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Currently, 960 women are registered for recruitment at Kentucky. 960 PNMs / 12 chapters = 80 quota

Thanks _Lisa_ for the update. And GO BIG BLUE!
Quota is 80 at Kentucky now?!!!!
I remember when it was in the low 30's.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota will not be that high - the quota calculations take into account PNMs attending pref, not those who register for recruitment.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Bug! View Post
Where are the UGA threads? Am I missing them somehow? Or is no one writing them?
have you found uga rush chat yet?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugagreekgrad View Post
have you found uga rush chat yet?
Link?