GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,091
1 members and 2,090 guests
John

Old 09-12-2006, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom: NPC expansion WORKS for the vast majority of cases. Women who choose not to join existing GLOs do not tend to do so because of the GLO in question, but because of the women in the GLOs. Those women would be the same no matter the letters because they're all coming from the university.[/QUOTE]

Hm, while an interesting point, the smaller amount of GLOs to choose from narrows down the selection process for the PNMs doesnt it?

If let us say, that PNMs are looking for a certain GLO and it is not there, they do not want to join or they do not like the women in the existing GLOs, then where do they go (?), No where and do not join any GLO.

As said in another Thread about Affiliation and Transfering, that is to me wrong. It is used as a stepping stone and will not work out as each chapter is a different entity while the same so to speak.

To be a happy Sister or Brother, it has to work both ways for both parties.

How many Alums have been lost because they joined just to join and say I was a so and so member of ABC.

Expansion needs to be strongly considered in many ways, but not well, None are making numbers!

The question should be, why are they not making numbers? Where is the problem?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-12-2006, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
Tom: NPC expansion WORKS for the vast majority of cases. Women who choose not to join existing GLOs do not tend to do so because of the GLO in question, but because of the women in the GLOs. Those women would be the same no matter the letters because they're all coming from the university
Hm, while an interesting point, the smaller amount of GLOs to choose from narrows down the selection process for the PNMs doesnt it?

If let us say, that PNMs are looking for a certain GLO and it is not there, they do not want to join or they do not like the women in the existing GLOs, then where do they go (?), No where and do not join any GLO.

As said in another Thread about Affiliation and Transfering, that is to me wrong. It is used as a stepping stone and will not work out as each chapter is a different entity while the same so to speak.

To be a happy Sister or Brother, it has to work both ways for both parties.

How many Alums have been lost because they joined just to join and say I was a so and so member of ABC.

Expansion needs to be strongly considered in many ways, but not well, None are making numbers!

The question should be, why are they not making numbers? Where is the problem?
If there are not enough women to fill up all of the chapters on campus, there does not need to be another chapter on campus.

If one chapter is failing, it will close and open up the opportunity for another chapter.

If all 26 NPC sororities were on every campus, there would be a few with 100 members and a few with 2. The small ones cannot function this way, much less run a house.

Going Greek is great. For women who drop because they don't like the letters they're doing it to themselves. For women who drop because they couldn't find a fit, it has more to do with the entire Greek culture of that campus then whether or not XYZ was there.

Last edited by Drolefille; 09-12-2006 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Because Tom broke the quotes
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa is colonizing this fall at University of Nevada, Reno!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD670 View Post
Muah! This is coming from a boy, no less.

Back to the topic at hand...I heard Alpha Phi will be recolonizing at UNC-Wilmington in a few weeks.
Alpha Phi is recolonizing at the University of Oklahoma as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
If there are not enough women to fill up all of the chapters on campus, there does not need to be another chapter on campus.

If one chapter is failing, it will close and open up the opportunity for another chapter.

If all 26 NPC sororities were on every campus, there would be a few with 100 members and a few with 2. The small ones cannot function this way, much less run a house.

Going Greek is great. For women who drop because they don't like the letters they're doing it to themselves. For women who drop because they couldn't find a fit, it has more to do with the entire Greek culture of that campus then whether or not XYZ was there.
I have asked this many times.

When a State Un. had 6500 + Students then there is/are Women there to join if they desire and dont, then where is the problem?

There may be Sororitys that some heart for or hear of and they are not there and are limited to who they may choose from brings me to the conclusion that maybe there is a lacking some where?

If the choices are not there for them, then why join if they do not like the women in those GLOs?

Most State Schools are not emuried with Greeks as some of the Big Southern or Major Uns., but what does one do to find friendship if not a member of a small and select few?

Dont each GLO attempt to recruit those who are like themselves?

What if other women do not like or feel like they want to be a part of them for what ever reason?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
I have asked this many times.

When a State Un. had 6500 + Students then there is/are Women there to join if they desire and dont, then where is the problem?

There may be Sororitys that some heart for or hear of and they are not there and are limited to who they may choose from brings me to the conclusion that maybe there is a lacking some where?

If the choices are not there for them, then why join if they do not like the women in those GLOs?

Most State Schools are not emuried with Greeks as some of the Big Southern or Major Uns., but what does one do to find friendship if not a member of a small and select few?

Dont each GLO attempt to recruit those who are like themselves?

What if other women do not like or feel like they want to be a part of them for what ever reason?
My translator broke and I can't even begin to understand your post. To summarize: GLOs are made up or women on campus. On one campus they could be the "smart brunettes" on another the "Barbies" etc. Despite this, they share the same letters. So no GLO is identical nationally, we're all made of a mix of women.

If someone's life long goal is to be an XYZ, then she shouldn't go to a campus w/o XYZ. If her goal is to join a sorority, then she will find plenty of options on campus. The number of women who don't join a sorority because the "right one" isn't on campus is tiny.

The system keeps us on relatively equal footing and keeps a system from expanding too fast and then collapsing underneath itself.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Alpha Phi is recolonizing at the University of Oklahoma as well.
And at Dartmouth too.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat Sis View Post
... and that when we have mixers, the ratio is probably 2.5 girls to 1 boy.

what's wrong with that? are you afraid of competetion?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:16 PM

From a college friend who is a Sigma Pi:

Sigma Pi is expanding in Fall 2006 to:

Ohio State University - re-charter
University of Michigan - re-charter
University of Delaware - new chapter
Kansas State University - new chapter
University of Texas at San Antonio - new chapter

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-13-2006, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anybody heard if any campuses will be open for expansion?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPhiSierra View Post
I know Pace was for this year (as there are two new colonies there, us and KD)...if your looking in terms for next yer though, I have no clue.

How is your chapter doing @ BC btw?

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Sig has some stuff going on in Colorado... but I forget which schools...
Old 09-13-2006, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPhiSierra View Post
San Diego State – Groups have been invited for presentations but I forgot when they start.
Northwestern Univ. - Panhellenic is supposed to announce presentation invites soon.

Others still in RFP:
Central Methodist Univ.
Union College (KY)
University of the Incarnate Word
Knox College
Old 09-13-2006, 04:06 PM

What's RFP?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-13-2006, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
My translator broke and I can't even begin to understand your post. To summarize: GLOs are made up or women on campus. On one campus they could be the "smart brunettes" on another the "Barbies" etc. Despite this, they share the same letters. So no GLO is identical nationally, we're all made of a mix of women.

If someone's life long goal is to be an XYZ, then she shouldn't go to a campus w/o XYZ. If her goal is to join a sorority, then she will find plenty of options on campus. The number of women who don't join a sorority because the "right one" isn't on campus is tiny.

The system keeps us on relatively equal footing and keeps a system from expanding too fast and then collapsing underneath itself.

It is a shame that you cannot understand plain English and not Earp Speak.

I asked a simple question and get a two step instead. I explained my position very plainly and do not feel it is necessary for a "We" keep on and even footing when it is not true in many cases.

If Women are not happy with either the Chapters and or the woment in them, then, where do they go?

Oh, GDI=not affilated in any form.

So I guess my next question is who does this help, You or them?

In any parlie, GLO just means Greek Letter Organization, not different between Mal or Female.

Correct?

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 09-13-2006 at 04:20 PM.