GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,306
1 members and 1,305 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 11-08-2005, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
I need some encouragement here!

I feel like giving up. I have failed two exams in my History of Psychology class. The reason why I have failed the second exam was becasue I had two other exams and a quiz all on the same week. Almost everyone did better the second time than the first time. However, I have dropped in my second exam. Could anyone give me some encouragement, please?

I wanted to ask someone for help, but the thing is that I don't have a car and my parents aren't willing to drive me out at night and chances are that many people won't be avalible to help until night time and they may not come to my house.

My instructor have a gazillion questions on the study guide and I get confused very easily and I couldn't understand the material, even if I have studied for a long time.

This course is required by the way. If I don't pass, I can't graduate. So the highest grade I can make right now is a C. I feel like quitting.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

ashley, go talk to your professor now.

surely there is someone around during the day that can tutor you. you were hoping to join a sorority. how were you going to manage transportation to sorority events held at night? what ever you were going to use to get you to the sorority events, use it to get to tutoring.

your goal is within reach. don't lose sight of it now and do whatever you must to achieve it.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:50 PM

Drop the class and take it again next semester with a different professor.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
ashley, go talk to your professor now.

surely there is someone around during the day that can tutor you. you were hoping to join a sorority. how were you going to manage transportation to sorority events held at night? what ever you were going to use to get you to the sorority events, use it to get to tutoring.

your goal is within reach. don't lose sight of it now and do whatever you must to achieve it.
Oh, I don't have a driver's license. I'm trying to save money to go to driver's school or have someone to teach me how to drive. I can't drop the class.

33girl, I can't drop the class. The drop date have already been passed. If the drop date were still avalible, I can't drop the class anyway. If I were to do that, I have to stay in school and extra semester, and I'm afraid if I do that, then I fear that my graduation day may be the same as my aunt's graduation day from law school in May.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I also think that you need to talk to your professor. Try to find a study group among your classmates. It helps when you and a group discuss what you had learned from reading the textbook and classes.

Try to find a tutor during the day or one who is able to come to your home in the evening. I had professors, grad students, and teaching assistants who would tutor students during their office hours free of charge. Ask your prof about something like that.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with everyone telling you to talk to your professor. Have you talked to your parents about needing a tutor? I think most parents would be much more willing to take their adult children places in the evenings if their needs are academic based.

Also, consider talking to some of your classmates about starting a studygroup. Invite them to study at your house or on campus during the day.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I need some encouragement here!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollergirl2001
and chances are that many people won't be avalible to help until night time and they may not come to my house.
You never know until you ask!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You've gotten some great suggestions.If you can't get tutoring during the day for free,ask your parents if they'd pay to have a tutor come to the house. If they start to complain about having to either take you to campus or the money, just remind them this could have been avoided if you had your driver's liscense. Just be very matter of fact about it when you talk to them.

Your professors are there to help you. AXID670 has a point. Unless you speak up for yourself how can they know what's going on in your head? Ask if they know anyone who can tutor you. Post a sign in the Student Center or whatever it is called on your campus advertising that you need a tutor to come to your home. I have yet to meet a grad student who'd turn down a chance to tutor for extra money.

The last semester before you graduate is sometimes the most stressful. You made it this far. There is the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

So how are things going???
Old 11-27-2005, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I mean, not to be negative, but I knew a ton of people who passed classes because they sucked up... *cough* I mean, spoke with the professor. Also, it sounds like if you had problems with three tests in one week, your time management skills need work.... do you not have a sylabus? If you do, then you should have seen ahead of time that you were going to be in this predicament, and studied a little harder throughout the semester. Even if your last week before the tests you had to slack a little, you still would have done better.

I know. Sorry. Tough love.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ejbiff Send a message via Yahoo to ejbiff
I've been in this situation before and it's hard.
I would make an appointment to talk to your professor- one on one. Go to his/her office and explain your situation. If you're confused on material, there is no better source for clarification than the prof. Ask if he/she is willing to help you personally or if there is a learning center on campus that provides tutors. Most campuses have something like this, even community colleges. Also, ask your prof how to better prepare for the quizzes/tests in the class. If the study guide is really long, start working on it the day you get it. Do a little bit each day and a review session the night before over the whole guide.
I wouldn't even bring up the driver's license issue with your parents- one of my sisters just got hers at the age of 20! There are ways around not having one. Talk to people in your classes- the ones you know who are doing well. See if they would be willing to help you out after or before class- you could offer to buy lunch or someting in return.
No matter what- STUDY!! Go home every day after class and review your notes, reread the chapter, make note cards, recopy your notes- anything to restress what you learned.

Do NOT drop the class- even if you end up not being able to pass. By staying in the class the entire semester, you are at least hearing everything you will need next semester. Worse comes to worse, you have to retake the class next semester. If you have to, talk to the professor immediately and ask how to better prepare yourself for the tests.