GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,816
Threads: 114,780
Welcome to our newest member, MaritzaKel

Old 07-22-2005, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I think you mean moron... and I can't remember exactly where, but that is not the only place I've read of a chapter having a drug room. Just because it's against the rules doesn't mean that people won't do it. People, affiliated with GLO and unaffliiated do things they aren't supposed to do all the time. That is why we have laws and prisons. We all can agree for the most part that the majority of greeks have not witnessed or participated in all the things she claims in her book and move on with our lives. If you add wood to the fire and continuously fan the flames, it will never go out.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

EarpSpeak--Moron=Maroon.

kapsigcub, Like Your Usage!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-22-2005, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by BabyPiNK_FL
I think you mean moron... and I can't remember exactly where, but that is not the only place I've read of a chapter having a drug room. Just because it's against the rules doesn't mean that people won't do it. People, affiliated with GLO and unaffliiated do things they aren't supposed to do all the time. That is why we have laws and prisons. We all can agree for the most part that the majority of greeks have not witnessed or participated in all the things she claims in her book and move on with our lives. If you add wood to the fire and continuously fan the flames, it will never go out.
You're probably right. Remember at the Grammy's I think maybe? When Eminem thanked all the haters because they upped his sales? Ms. Robbins is thanking all of us right now. BUT that's how controversies go. I bought the book, I'm guilty of it. You gota admit tons of people are really curious about this book.

KLTC
Old 07-22-2005, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think you mean moron...
BabyPiNK, I meant to type "maroon". It is a Warner Brothers pop culture reference that you obviously missed. It is my personal policy not to "continuously fan the flames", but thanks for the advice!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kapsigcub
BabyPiNK, I meant to type "maroon". It is a Warner Brothers pop culture reference that you obviously missed.
LOL: Hear Bugs Bunny Say "What a maroon! What an ingoranimus!"

Last edited by MysticCat; 07-26-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Mystic, you're an ultra maroon.

Haha, nice clip. I was thinking of the ultra maroon one when I heard kapsigcub.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I admit that I bought the book. I was hoping to get it from the library but there was a huge waiting list at the time.

I literally only read to page 6 before I became completely appalled by it.

I thought it was tacky that she opened the book with bid day from the early 90's where girls were hazed. Heck ADPi didn't establish anti-hazing rules until 1996.

My first thoughts on that were that she was the girl who didn't get the bid to the house where mommy and grandma and sister went, who was still crying back in the MU (or wherever the heck she was). Within the prologue you knew the book would be a complete diss on sorority life.

I finally put it down when she declared that all sorority girls were popular, pretty and rich (and I'm paraphrasing her). I most certainly WAS NOT popular in high school. I come from what would be considered a high middle to low upper class family, no way considered "rich". And I think I'm pretty but I'm most certainly not drop dead gorgeous. Right then I knew she would be using those stereotypes through the whole damn book.

Plus, once I found out that she actually divulged ritual of other sororities (Gamma Phi, if I remember correctly from reading on the boards here), I just couldn't read it. I have no desire to learn other sororities SECRET RITUALS!!!!

All I can hope is that the "movie" that is supposedly being made either is shelved or completely tanks at the box office.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't read every page of this thread(all 23!) so I hope this isn't a repeat.

What I don't understand is why she chose a sorority at a Texas school(and she gave away that it was a Texas school maybe unintentionally, I paid attention to details) and then in another part had it stated that sororities in Texas are like "the extreme sport of greek life" or something to that extent. How then can she expect to be unbiased like she says she is?? I'm from a school in the Northeast so the only things I know about sororities in Texas would have to be adopted from that book but believe me I did NOT take any of that stuff she said seriously. Every chapter of every sorority is different, I don't know why she thinks that following 2 sororities at a big school in Texas is gonna represent all of us. And she shouldn't have said she was being unbiased because it's almost impossible to be unbiased about anything.

Also, I think it's ridiculous that she published some sororities secrets in their. I refused to read it.

And there is a thing where on her website you can read updates. I think you have to have the book in front of you to be able to look up a word on a certain page that serves as a password. Read it or don't, it's up to you.

It's unlikely that she'll ever come around, although Joan Ryan did it when she published a book in the mid 90's about gymnastics called Little Girls In Pretty Boxes and how it was nothing but a breeding ground for eating disorders and that the sport was "child abuse." She later republished the book with a new section in the back saying that gymnastics was no longer like that and basically said that the 1996 Olympians were healthy young women. Hmm if she could be convinced....who knows?

Last edited by KDlady04; 08-01-2005 at 09:30 PM.