GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,443
3 members and 1,440 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 03-23-2000, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb GAYS IN YOUR SORORITY/FRATERNITY?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU FOUND OUT THAT ONE OF YOUR SISTER/BROTHERS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION WAS GAY? THIS IS AFTER THE INTAKE PROCESS IS OVER AND THEY ARE 100% MEMBERS. NOT ONLY ARE THEY GAY BUT THEY ARE OPEN GAY. I ASK THIS BECAUSE I KNOW A SOROR OF MINE WHO IS GAY IN ANOTHER CHAPTER AND SHE SAID WHEN THEM FOUND OUT THEY TREATED DIFFERENT. THEY WOULD SHOW HER LOVE ON THE CAMPUS TO KEEP UNITY, BUT THEY WOULD NOT INVITE HER TO STEPSHOWS, OR ROAD TRIPS. BUT BECAUSE SHE HAD OTHER FRIENDS AT OTHER SCHOOLS SHE WOULD STILL MAKE IT THERE. AGAIN MY QUESTION TO YOU IS DOES THAT GAY SISTER/BROTHER GET THE SAME LOVE LOVE ARE THAT STRIGHT SIS/BRO???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-23-2000, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Smile

My fraternity is coed and culturally diverse, and, at least on my campus, there were a couple of gay members. Some of them we knew before they were members, some not. And it was never even an issue. I think that part of this is because of our already diverse environment and mentality as a group. Also, the area the school is located in (and the school itself) has a large gay population, and i don't know anyone at that school who didn't have at least 1 or 2 gay friends.

Old 03-23-2000, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that the person should be treated differently just because they are gay or lesbian. If you call someone your sister or brother on campus only to turn your back on them once you're off campus, you're no better than those who openly talk bad about people. They must know they are being left out if ya'll end up in the same places and they weren't invited. Unity and love for all of your sisters & brothers is only one aspect of Greek Life. By treating a person differently from the rest, you are not exactly practicing what you preach. If you can wear your letters and call one another sister or brother, I think you should truly mean it.

I actually won't be rushing until the fall, but these ideas are ones that I have picked up while I've been visiting this site. I think as long as you and your feelings are being respected then, you give the other person the same amount of respect and treat them no differently.

Allison

------------------
A mistake at least proves that somebody stopped talking long enough to do something. ~ Anonymous
Old 03-24-2000, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I get along with gays just fine–*I would definitely tolerate a gay brother, because it's the right thing to do.

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi –*ucla
Old 03-24-2000, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that this is just one of those issues that doesn't make sense. If people don't allow gays into their orginization or they treat members badly--it's discrimination. Plain and simple. It's just plain stupid in my eyes. There should not even be a problem. I feel that people are an asset for their actions, ideas, and commitment. If someone is gay and they have these qualities, then they will be an asset to any organization they want to join. A person's sexual prefrence has nothing to do with greek orginizations so why is it an issue. If they want to be greek, they have to prove themselves just like everyone else, and they should get the same treatment as everyone else, and they should have the same opportunities as everyone else. If a member is uncomfortable, that's their problem that they have to work out on their own. If the orginization is going to benifit from this person, then they have to put their personal feeling aside and do what is right for the orginization.

Also, not to be disrespectful to anyone's orginizations, but I feel sorry for the people who would treat someone badly for being homosexual. They just weren't blessed with an open mind, respect for other human beings, and confidence in themselves and others.

Just my opinion.

Mikki

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited March 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited March 24, 2000).]
Old 03-25-2000, 03:26 AM
Miss Jay

I don't think you should treat a person different because of their sexual preference I am in an organization and I have a gay sister but, I am the only one who knows and she is not open with it so I pay it no mind but, however I wonder if she did become open with it would it give us a bad name.
Old 03-29-2000, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel that a gay member of your sorority/fraternity should be treated just the way you would treat a gay family member or friend. Even if you disagree with their lifestlye, you still love the person. You know, love the sinner hate the sin.(For those who think homosexuality is a sin.) when it comes down to it, people are still people, no matter what they choose to do. And if you are bothered by it don't be, in the end only God can judge us. I don't see how being gay can affect the organization. It took a long time for minorities to be somewhat accepted in majority white fraternities. I think in time the gay issue will follow suit.
Old 04-06-2000, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

If someone in my chapter turned out to be gay, they would be kicked out of the chapter immediately. It is disgusting and there is no place for it. We are an elite organization. One of the reasons I chose to join my chapter is so I would not have to deal with immoral crap like this. It amazes me how much society has become brainwashed in the last couple of decades. Homosexuality is not okay and is not normal. I really pity all of you weak minded individuals who think otherwise. I know that I will get replies telling me that I am intollerant and close-minded. To those of you who think that: kiss my ass, we'll see what happens on judgement day.
Old 04-06-2000, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

SouthernGent-

I'm glad that my chapter (+ my entire GLO) didn't have this attitude. I didn't join "an elite organization" so I could discriminate + act better than the rest of the campus. I joined a fraternity because I truly believe the same things that the GLO stands for, and the people are rad, and it offers me the opportunity to do a whole lot of really cool stuff.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com

Phi Beta Fraternity
Old 04-06-2000, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Oh, just 2 afterthoughts SouthernGent...

1) I wouldn't be at all surprised if you did have gay brothers and you just don't know about it. Because they know your attitude. Of course, if that reflects your whole chapter, I doubt they would join in the 1st place.

2)If you do "find" a gay brother (that sounds like a witch-hunt!) and proceed to "kick him out immediately" I hope your chapter (and nationals if applicable) is prepared for an immediate lawsuit.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Old 04-07-2000, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

GLO's are social organizations, not religious. We don't pray, we don't read the BIBLE, we do community service. Which leads me to the next question.

Speaking of witch hunts. . . what would you do if you found out one of your members is a witch?

------------------
Mikki Gates
Delta Zeta Alum
Kappa Mu Chapter
Sigma Alpha Iota Alum
Eta Tau Chapter

"I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

--Julia Roberts
(Steel Magnolias)

Visit me at:
http://homepages.go.com/~dzkm433/index.html
and
http://www.calypso.com/dzkm433/welcomtomyworld.chtml
Old 04-07-2000, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

WELL I A DO AGREE WITH SILVER TURTLE. YOU SHOULD NOT FEEL THAT WAY. AND I DON'T KNOW ANOT YOUR ORG. SouthernGent BUT WHEN i JOINED THEY SAID ONCE A MEMBER ALWAYS A MEMBER SO HOW DO YOU FELL YOU CAN PERSONALLY KICK SOMEONE OUT OUT THE ORG. WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE THAT MEMBER. THAT PERSON WILL BE THERE ON JUDGEMENT DAY ALONE. LET THEM DEAL WITH THAT. AND I DO NOT BELIVE THAT "society has become brainwashed in the last couple of decades." IF I MAY USE YOUR WORDS. SOCIETY HAS JUST DECIDED TO EMBRACE THESE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN REJECTED FOR SO MANY YEARS. YOU DON'T KNOW WHO HAVE WHAT SEXUAL INTREST, YOUR CLOSES FRIENDS OR OTER MEMBER MIGHT HAVE THE INTREST. BUT IT IS OK AND I DON'T KHINK YOU ARE CLOSED MINDED BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN OPINION, AND SO DOES EACH AND EVERYONE ELSE, AND THAT IS WHAT MAKES UP DIFFERENT. WEATHER IT IS SIZE, RACE OR SEXUAL INTREST. WE NEED TO EMBRACE EVERYBODY AND GIVR THEM THE SAME OPPROTUNITY THAT WE HAD. NOW THE NEW QUESTION FROM mgdzkm433, LET LOOK AT THAT IN A Y2K PERSPECT, WHAT IF YOU FOUND OUT ONE OF YOUR MEMBERS WERE HIV +? HOW WOULD YOU TREAT THEM? CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR YOU HAVE TO SAY ON THIS ONE!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) REMEMBER IT IS GOOD TO SMILE AND BE HAPPY IN LIFE.:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Old 04-07-2000, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you asking me what I would do or what southerngent would do about members diagnosed with AIDS? You didn't say anything about witches? I want to know feeling on what people would do about witches in their organization.
Old 04-07-2000, 02:18 PM

Cool

Well, we had a lesbian in our chapter a few years after I graduated. I admit, I was a bit taken aback at first, but after awhile I didn’t even think about it. She was not trying to “make a statement” or anything (as a matter of fact, she was closeted at first), she just liked our company and wanted to be a part of us. If someone would have the attitude of “I’m gay and you have to accept me or else you are homophobic” I think I’d be the first one to kick their ass out of there. That goes for anyone, actually.

And guess what? We had a Wiccan too. As far as people acting “witchy” that is another story! 
Old 04-07-2000, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

witchy? How do you act witchy? Just wondering. Most wiccans practice witchcraft, most---not all.