GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 973
1 members and 972 guests
zavictoiajnr131

Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I have so many questions about joining a sorority i don't know where to start!

I am 24,married and have a 2 year old daughter. I am currently living and attending school in TN. I spent three years in the military, and now i am a full time student. I feel that i could contribute a lot to a sorority, and have really been considering trying my hand a rush week! Although i am a little worried. Am i to old to pledge? Am i even allowed to since i am married and have a child? Do you have to join in your first year of school? I just finished my Associates degree! If anyone can answer my questions or even one i would really appreciate it! Thank you all.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooley View Post
I am 24,married and have a 2 year old daughter. I am currently living and attending school in TN. I spent three years in the military, and now i am a full time student. I feel that i could contribute a lot to a sorority, and have really been considering trying my hand a rush week! Although i am a little worried. Am i to old to pledge? Am i even allowed to since i am married and have a child? Do you have to join in your first year of school? I just finished my Associates degree! If anyone can answer my questions or even one i would really appreciate it! Thank you all.
No one can tell you on here if you will get a bid or not. Membership selection is private and only known to members of their sorority. The best advice I can tell you is to go through formal recruitment anyway. Make sure you get recs from sorority alumni, have a high GPA, get involved in other clubs, etc. The sorority members will judge if you are 'too old' for their chapter.

Yes, you are allowed to rush even if you are married and have children and it isn't just for first year students. Any undergraduate student can rush.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittens View Post
No one can tell you on here if you will get a bid or not. Membership selection is private and only known to members of their sorority. The best advice I can tell you is to go through formal recruitment anyway. Make sure you get recs from sorority alumni, have a high GPA, get involved in other clubs, etc. The sorority members will judge if you are 'too old' for their chapter.

Yes, you are allowed to rush even if you are married and have children and it isn't just for first year students. Any undergraduate student can rush.
However... keep in mind that recruitment will be different for you, and your outcome will probably have a lot to do with where you go to school and the campus culture.

At some schools, being married with kids might not be a problem. There was a member of my chapter in the exact same position as you (married, 2 kids, 24-years-old) and she joined and contributed A LOT to the chapter... so much so that the other sisters sometimes forgot she had such a busy life outside of being Greek. But I also didn't go to a school with a competitive recruitment, where it's unlikely that an upperclassmen will get a bid. Therefore, the sisters were more willing to consider her for membership.

Also, keep the time commitment in mind! Because it can be a huge one.

You might want to analyze the full scope of the situation before you dive right in.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-02-2010 at 02:03 AM.