GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,366
0 members and 1,366 guests
No Members online

Old 01-08-2010, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

And not to be a debbie downer, but what if you break up with your non-Greek boyfriend that lavaliered you? What would you do with the lavalier? It's a technical question, because I'm sure you'd wear it, but it's like wearing a promise ring after you break up. Having been the recipient of one of those (a promise ring), I never quite felt right wearing it after, even though I loved it.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxy View Post
I agree with 33girl in that a girl should never ask to be lavaliered. Its basically a pre-engagement so make sure that that is how you view it.
Not necessarily. It varies greatly from one campus to another.

I think it's strange to ask to be lavaliered especially by a non-Greek. I would go with the promise ring that's been mentioned. Or here's an odd idea; make a lavalier out of your initials.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Though it could be argued that even for fraternity men the letters aren't theirs to give.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I agree, and that's one reason why lavaliering for boyfriends and girlfriends is such a strange thing to me. I don't understand fraternity men "giving" their letters to a woman or "giving" a woman her own letters.
We actually put it into a our Constitution four years ago that only brothers may wear our letters, but I know that many other fraternities do allow it for something like a lavalier. If the fraternity allows it, then I guess they are a brother's to give.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
My ex, who is in a fraternity, gave me my own letters after I got lavaliered by my big after about a year (as is chapter tradition) but with a gold one which is what I really wanted instead of the silver I got initially [cos that's what I deserved, yeah I said it].
Yeah, but did you have a ceremony within your chapter or was it just a question of him buying the lavalier for you as a present? There's a difference between buying someone a lavalier and lavaliering them. What you're talking about, your parents could have done just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
We actually put it into a our Constitution four years ago that only brothers may wear our letters, but I know that many other fraternities do allow it for something like a lavalier. If the fraternity allows it, then I guess they are a brother's to give.
Can your brothers give their girlfriend a necklace with the fraternity jewel on it or something like that? That is, do you allow for anything else that can show a "promise" between a brother and his girlfriend?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Can your brothers give their girlfriend a necklace with the fraternity jewel on it or something like that? That is, do you allow for anything else that can show a "promise" between a brother and his girlfriend?
Good question. We don't have an official jewel, so that's not an option. The decision four years ago was the result of conversations that had been going on for a while and reflected the practice of most chapters. I know there was some discussion about a lavalier-substitute when the decision was formally made, and I can remember there were some suggestions, but so far the only thing we seem to offer officially is a sweetheart charm or necklace. (I think we actually told Herff Jones to stop offering lavaliers for us.)

I guess the sweetheart necklace would do in a pinch, but perhaps chapters are developing their own traditions here, or perhaps something official will still come out later.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongreek123 View Post
Hey, I am not in the greek life but my girlfriend is and she has mentioned lavaliering. If I am not in a fraternity can I lavalier her? Is there any special rules or anything? I do not want to come off as an ass trying to do something that is special to the greek life.
No. You can't. You can try, but you'll probably have at least one member of a fraternity in your face asking you about it.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

op, your girlfriend could have a candlepass,white candle, candlelight or whatever her sorority calls it if you got engaged.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
He mentioned Greek because I mentioned it in my response and linked to the other thread about this topic. I can see how this could be confusing as my post was deleted.

Why my post was removed, I have no idea...
Sorry about that. This topic was originally posted in the Kappa Alpha Theta forum. I originally deleted your post trying to keep it on topic but then I realized the whole thread really didnt have anything to do with Theta, so I deleted my own reply and just moved the thread here.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the explanation - I didn't mean to sound like a Bitter Betty, I was just a little bit confused.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
[QUOTE=33girl;1882861] Yeah, but did you have a ceremony within your chapter or was it just a question of him buying the lavalier for you as a present? There's a difference between buying someone a lavalier and lavaliering them. What you're talking about, your parents could have done just as well.

He was going to do the ceremony w/ the help of my big (who was an alum by this time) but he chickened out and just gave it to me. We're still good friends after having dated for a very long time, and if I had a chain to fit that tiny loop, I'd still be wearing the lavalier. And yes, you're right, it's about the same as just having it bought and given to me, but that's why I'm not against a non-Greek guy doing it as long as it's within the tradition of the chapter (my chapter your big is supposed to give it to you), but if at her's this is not the case then what does it matter who buys it, if they break up, it's her letters and I don't think I'd ever not wear a lettered item I liked regardless of where it came from so I don't see the harm as long as his intentions of what it means are clear.

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 01-08-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 PM

I'm missing something here. If he was Greek, why didn't he just lavalier you with HIS letters?

The OP's girlfriend wants a full out candlepass. If he's non Greek, there are two options: 1) promise ring or something similar 2) SHE lavaliers HIM with HER letters.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm missing something here. If he was Greek, why didn't he just lavalier you with HIS letters?

The OP's girlfriend wants a full out candlepass. If he's non Greek, there are two options: 1) promise ring or something similar 2) SHE lavaliers HIM with HER letters.
No. Bad 33. He cannot wear her letters as a lavalier. That would be just all kinds of wrongness. Plus, she is the one who wants a necklace like all her friends have.

I'm still not convinced that this is a legit thread, but oh well.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

A. Girls should not ask to be lavaliered.

B. Lavaliering is for lame-o's.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 AM

Let me clarify my opinion on this matter.

A non-greek man can certainly lavalier his greek girlfriend. Can he give her a lavalier with his letters? Obviously not, as he's not in a fraternity. Can he give her a lavalier with her own letters? No - he doesn't know their significance, and, honestly, it would be weird. But he can give her a pendant to show her that he loves her and he may one day propose. And her sorority may choose to treat this as an equivalent to a fraternity lavalier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
And not to be a debbie downer, but what if you break up with your non-Greek boyfriend that lavaliered you? What would you do with the lavalier?
What would you do if you broke up with your greek boyfriend who lavaliered you? What would you do with the lavalier?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I would give the lavalier back. I had a Greek boyfriend who was an alum and I was still in college. He gave me a letter shirt to wear-which was his equivalent to a lavalier. When we broke up, I gave it back. What would I want with it?