GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 306,958
Threads: 114,627
Welcome to our newest member, SuzetteScu

Old 04-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
This is how I am: If I hear that Amanda said something about me, I'm not gonna go to Jennifer about it, I'mma go to the source.

To me, the ONLY source for info on Sigma Gamma Rho is A SIGMA GAMMA RHO! I'm not gonna ask an Alpha Chi Omega about Delta Delta Delta, I'mma go to the source.

If someone asked me about Phi Beta Sigma, I'm not going to try to act like I'm an expert. I'm going to refer that person with the question to the appropriate person they need to talk to, so that I don't end up giving them some incomplete or inaccurate information, out of respect for Phi Beta Sigma. I'd appreciate some of that respect back.
Can someone that isn't an SGRho say your org is in the D9?

In all honesty, I wouldn't have even known to ask about that had elldawg not even brought it up so I wouldn't have ever learned.

-Rudey
Old 04-11-2005, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Can someone that isn't an SGRho say your org is in the D9?

In all honesty, I wouldn't have even known to ask about that had elldawg not even brought it up so I wouldn't have ever learned.

-Rudey
Rudey,

All this is common sense (or at least it is to me). You got a question about Sigma Gamma Rho? ASK a Sigma Gamma Rho, don't ask someone outside of that. That was my entire point.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Rudey,

All this is common sense (or at least it is to me). You got a question about Sigma Gamma Rho? ASK a Sigma Gamma Rho, don't ask someone outside of that. That was my entire point.
Can I ask how I would have even known about it to ask you?

You also said earlier: "And as was mentioned before, Black Greek 101 is a great book. I think I would answer a lot of your questions."

So by reading that book or by reading what elldawg posted, we can learn more and then ask you if we have questions, right?

-Rudey

Last edited by Rudey; 04-11-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to elldawg
Quote:
Sorry, but we both know that books written by those outside of the organization may have some inaccuracies in them. I would only take a book expressly written by Sigma Gamma Rho, Inc. as actual fact. But you do what you wish.

And you still miss the problem: YOU aren't a Sigma Gamma Rho, so don't speak on it. YOU speak about Phi Beta Sigma.
I'm not a member of the U.S congress, the KKK, or Bally's Total fitness, but to the extent that I have public information from reputable sources, I will share that information about those organizations as I see fit. I encourage you to share (or not share) what you know as you see fit.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

*Jumps in*

I agree that one should leave comments about a particular organization to members of that organization. I would be pissed if someone (I dont care what you've read, who you've talked to, or if you have a mother/sister/auntie/grandmother/neice/cousin who is a Zeta) spoke about Zeta who WASN'T a Zeta.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
*Jumps in behind Epitome*

I wanted to illustrate, for all, how people know from a young age which org they will most likely pursue once they reach college:

http://oldgoldsoul.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=281

Compliments of Rashid

ETA: For anyone who isn't clear, HBGLOs serve and are involved in the community. Children are included...the elderly are included...the impact is tremendous.

ETAAgain: I know it's a little boy watching a Zeta probate. I'm not suggesting that he would be a Zeta.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 04-11-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Can I ask how I would have even known about it to ask you?

You also said earlier: "And as was mentioned before, Black Greek 101 is a great book. I think I would answer a lot of your questions."

So by reading that book or by reading what elldawg posted, we can learn more and then ask you if we have questions, right?

-Rudey
Once again Rudey, its common sense. Please feel free to read "Black Greek 101"; like I stated, I think its a great book.

But I wouldn't take anything read in that book about a specific org's history as gospel, since that book was not commissioned to be a history book for any one particular book. There can be inaccuracies in the book if its not coming straight from the org.

I don't know how I can explain it to you anymore. I made a request of elldawg to not try to speak for my org, and that was it.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elldawg
I'm not a member of the U.S congress, the KKK, or Bally's Total fitness, but to the extent that I have public information from reputable sources, I will share that information about those organizations as I see fit. I encourage you to share (or not share) what you know as you see fit.
Of course I can not stop you from doing what you want to do. I assumed that out of respect for another org, you would respect and honor my request to not answer questions for my sorority.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So she asks you to respect her org's bounderies and you say, naw playa, fuck you! MAn you have issues.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to elldawg
Quote:
Originally posted by ThaBrickHouse
So she asks you to respect her org's bounderies and you say, naw playa, fuck you! MAn you have issues.
She asked me to respect her wishes. So far as I can tell, her boundary isn't universally shared amongst her sorors. As I've stated, I know several of her sorors and many, many of your sorors who have no problem with what I've shared, and even encourage it. So who's wishes should I respect?
Old 04-13-2005, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

In terms of incorrect information, I've even seen incorrect bits on our international website. History books of the respective groups would be a good place to start for "official" information. But another source for not only information but non-PC perspectives, consult biographies or better autobiographies of BGLO members. For Omega Psi Phi members, I've read about the fraternity experience of Langston Hughes, Roy Wilkins, Sterling Brown(Howard Univ. English Prof. and poet of the Harlem Renaissance),and Vernon Jordan, former Exec. Director of the Urban League and Managing Director of Lazard Freres. In most cases, they discuss hazing incidents they suffered or witnessed, or in the case of Roy Wilkins, the elitism of A Phi A which served as the springboard to found a chapter of Omega Psi Phi.

Another interesting oeuvre is "Black Haze," a scholarly work by a Nupe(member of KA Psi) who uses the work of Rene Girard to understand te phenomenon of hazing in BGLOs. He also discusses a bit of the "secret history" of Kappas and Alphas, viz. the role that NIC-member groups played in helping the founders of these fraternities in their quest to form these groups, viz., NIC fraternities allowing them to peruse their rituals when they saw that they were not a threat to them.

"THe value of our fraternity is not in numbers but in men, in ral brotherhood..."-Bro. Walter H. Mazyck,Esq., The Oracle, 1925
Old 02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

ttt

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She asked me to respect her wishes. So far as I can tell, her boundary isn't universally shared amongst her sorors. As I've stated, I know several of her sorors and many, many of your sorors who have no problem with what I've shared, and even encourage it. So who's wishes should I respect?

Here's the thing. Basic information does not change. When I say basic, I mean history. That is not going to change. So, sure, if someone asks a question relevant to the history of the org and it's public information, then most people who know the history can speak on the history.

The problem comes when a person asks questions about membership criteria. THAT can change within a year. If someone asks you, elldawg, about how to become a member of SGRho, then you will not be able to give that interest a full complete, accurate and up to date answer. Why? Because you were not at the chapter / area / regional / national meetings to hear and get trainied on any updates about membership criteria. AND THAT IS WHERE THE PROBLEMS ARISE!!!!! An interest can easily receive inaccurate information on membership criteria from a non-GLO member. Then that interest shows up at an interest meeting hearing the correct information from the GLO members, and the interest is often left confused.

When I was in grad school, there was a young lady who was very interested in Delta. Rather than give her some bs answer about how to become a Delta, I just referred her to a Delta that I know who was active at the time. *I respected the boudaries of DST* I think that is all that is being asked. We (GLO members) would prefer that no information is given if you do not have the correct information. Bad information can be much worse that no information.

BTW, just because you may talk to a member of a GLO about membership in that GLO, if they are currently inactive, then the information they give may be out of date. And!!!!! If you are talking about membership on the college level, then there is an added level of memberhip criteria due to campus rules. So, then, you not only have to be up to date on the membership criteria for your GLO, you also have to stay current with the school. That is why being a campus advisor is stressful and hard work.