GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,091
2 members and 1,089 guests
zavictoiajnr131

Old 06-12-2005, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

New York Locals

I am just curious what are the local sororities and fraternities located in New York. How do local sororities and fraternities show greek unity amoung themselves and with other local orginizations?

Last edited by justme05; 06-12-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not in a local myself but there are three locals on my old college campus, Brooklyn College.

Alpha Sigma
Gamma Beta Delta
Kappa Phi Chi
Old 07-18-2005, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PeakSP03
I go to SUNY Alfred which is a school of all locals. Currently there are 8 recognized and active fraternities and sororities.

Fraternities
Pi Rho Zeta (Which I’m a brother)
Kappa Sigma Epsilon
Theta Gamma Theta
Mu Theda

Sororities
Alpha Beta Chi
Pi Nu Epsilon
Delta Lamda Rho

The only unity builder that we have is a lock in that we did last year, which we are doing again at the beginning of this year. We spent the night in a lodge, owned by the school, hanging out and bonding, and in the morning we had a long discussion on what things in the Greek system and the school system was holding us down the most. It was really fund and really helped start us in the right direction towards creating strong unity between some of the organizations that had little.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought that there were nationals at Alfred. I could've sworn I heard about a Lambda Chi Alpha chapter there.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

That would have been Alfred University, not SUNY Alfred.

Lambda Chi Alpha got thrown out along with all of the fraternities and sororities there in 2003.

Lenoxxx

Visit this website if you miss what TV Guide did in destroying www.jumptheshark.com a fan website run by the fans in 2009!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
if you go to www.localsororities.org, you can look through chapters by state and by letter.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PeakSP03
yea that was crap, cause a brother of a fraternity died over there and they killed the whole Greek System.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Locals still going strong
I'm an alumni member of Alpha Kappa Phi Sorority (Agonian). This is a regional sorority thru the New York college system. In 1957 NYS put a ban on national fraternity/sorority organizations, so all these groups had to cut ties with their national affiliation. The ban was lifted in eth early 1980s. Many local/regional groups still thrive at these campuses all over NYS. Many of these regional or locals do have more than one chapter and usually hold conventions to talk about tradtions, history etc. Many of them have websites, ours is http://organizations.oneonta.edu/sorority/akphi/ which has links to our other chapters. [B][COLOR=blue]
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

My Alma Mater, SUNY - Stony Brook (aka Stony Brook University) has a lot of locals and a few nationals and regoinals. I am a co-founder and alumna of a local sorority. I am not sure if this site is up to date or not, but it will give you an idea of what's there. Here's the link!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to goldendelta
Quote:
Originally posted by jitrbug238
[B]Locals still going strong
I'm an alumni member of Alpha Kappa Phi Sorority (Agonian). This is a regional sorority thru the New York college system. In 1957 NYS put a ban on national fraternity/sorority organizations, so all these groups had to cut ties with their national affiliation. The ban was lifted in eth early 1980s. Many local/regional groups still thrive at these campuses all over NYS. Many of these regional or locals do have more than one chapter and usually hold conventions to talk about tradtions, history etc. Many of them have websites, ours is http://organizations.oneonta.edu/sorority/akphi/ which has links to our other chapters. [COLOR=blue]
Do you mean NYS as in all of New York State? Because my chapter has been on campus since 1911 (Adelphi Universiy in Garden City, NY). Unless that didn't include private schools?

There are no locals at Adelphi, they were banned in 1992. I know there are a few locals at St. John's and Hofstra.

Life Loyal
Old 08-09-2005, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGPhiBete
Smile

We aren't a local but we may as well be.... I'm the President of the only NYC chapter of Phi Beta Psi, a national, non-academic sorority...though our chapter is made up entirely of college aged girls, many of whom attend CUNY schools....and unlike many of the Phi Beta Psi chapters across the country, our chapter is run as much like a regular collegiate GLO as possible.

Right now, I am trying to get us more involved in Greek Life around the NY area...though it's hard because we are a) not on a college campus and b) not always acknowledged by other Greeks...

so its hard :-( if anyone is interested in planning some kind of get together, event, mixer, etc, let me know!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally posted by goldendelta
Do you mean NYS as in all of New York State? Because my chapter has been on campus since 1911 (Adelphi Universiy in Garden City, NY). Unless that didn't include private schools?

There are no locals at Adelphi, they were banned in 1992. I know there are a few locals at St. John's and Hofstra.
Greeek Life was banned in the mid 70's - mid 80's at all CUNYs that I know

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 08-10-2005, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goldendelta

The State University of New York system banned all non-locals (I think in the 1960's or 1970's.) I believe they thought it would give them more control over the groups which isn't really how things turned out. They allowed the national and regional groups to come back in the late '80's.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AEPhiSierra
The State University of New York system banned all non-locals (I think in the 1960's or 1970's.) I believe they thought it would give them more control over the groups which isn't really how things turned out. They allowed the national and regional groups to come back in the late '80's.
Actually they banned nationals in the mid-50's due to discrimination clauses in some of the nationals' bylaws. This is not to say all nationals there at that time had them, but some did, so rather than discriminate (har) they banned all of them.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by jitrbug238
[B]Locals still going strong
I'm an alumni member of Alpha Kappa Phi Sorority (Agonian). This is a regional sorority thru the New York college system. In 1957 NYS put a ban on national fraternity/sorority organizations, so all these groups had to cut ties with their national affiliation. The ban was lifted in eth early 1980s. Many local/regional groups still thrive at these campuses all over NYS. Many of these regional or locals do have more than one chapter and usually hold conventions to talk about tradtions, history etc. Many of them have websites, ours is http://organizations.oneonta.edu/sorority/akphi/ which has links to our other chapters. [COLOR=blue]
look what I found!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-Kappa-Phi-...QQcmdZViewItem