GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,474
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, TitusPpd20
» Online Users: 2,076
1 members and 2,075 guests
No Members online

Old 10-07-2005, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Multi-Million Dollar Lawsuit Filed Against Alpha Kappa Alpha

There are two sides to every story. In this story, the accused hazers strike back -- hard.

Two Howard Alumni filed a $10 million lawsuit against Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. in US District Court for the District of Columbia on Thursday, charging that the AKAs made false allegations of hazing against them.

Joie Jolevare and Salome Tinker, both members of the sorority, claim in their lawsuit that they were unjustly suspended from the organization after assisting members of Alpha chapter in a practice in March 2005 for the group's post initiation ceremony.

The two women allege that AKA Regional Director, Joy Elaine Daley stopped the sorority's authorized practice, and began an investigation into the event on the grounds that it constituted hazing because it was held outside.

In the lawsuit Jolevare and Tinker claim that contrary to regulations outlined in the AKA Constitution, they were never informed of the allegations made against them and they were suspended without any evidence that they participated in hazing.

More:

http://www.thehilltoponline.com/medi...ml?mkey=579017
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2005, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Have there been other instances where members have sued their organizations??
Old 10-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Are they suing to be reinstated as well, or do they just want the $10 million?

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920

I've heard of a number of actions brought by alleged victims of hazing -- but this is the first time I recall something like this.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

While The Hand Book Says "NO", doesnt it or cannot it happen?

But a Law Suit of This Magnatuide can and will Bankrupt a Well Known and Respected Greek Organization?

Never to say this did not happen would be wrong for any of us to say.

Maybe, Just Maybe, there was a reason behind this.

True Sisters, it just makes one wonder.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-09-2005, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920

Yes. There was a case loooooooong ago (like the 1910's - 20's) where members of an NPC sued their org for what they said was an unjust removal of their charter.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I learned this past weekend at my Region's Area IV meeting that hazing can occur after being initiated. I did not realize that. Something as simple as the group needing to buy the same t-shirt can be seen as hazing because there may be one or two members who may not be able to afford or like the t-shirt, so they are being put under pressure to conform with the group, i.e. they are being hazed.

I don't know what was specifically done in this case, but all it takes is one person to say 'Hey, this action is making me uncomfortable. I am going to complain.'
Old 10-09-2005, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
...all it takes is one person to say 'Hey, this action is making me uncomfortable. I am going to complain.'
Pretty close.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
Are they suing to be reinstated as well, or do they just want the $10 million?
According to the article, they are still both members of AKA.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I learned this past weekend at my Region's Area IV meeting that hazing can occur after being initiated. I did not realize that. Something as simple as the group needing to buy the same t-shirt can be seen as hazing because there may be one or two members who may not be able to afford or like the t-shirt, so they are being put under pressure to conform with the group, i.e. they are being hazed.

I don't know what was specifically done in this case, but all it takes is one person to say 'Hey, this action is making me uncomfortable. I am going to complain.'
And that really upsets me. The definition for hazing is so broad and includes so many behaviors that make our organization unique.

If the one or two can't afford the t-shirts, then they just don't buy them. OR the rest of the sorors chip in to get their shirts, which is how we roll.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Well if that's the case, then there is a hell of a lot of hazing going on during NPC rush.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=58562

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=36705

If it's gotten to the point where we actually believe things like that are hazing and would act on them, we might as well all fold up our tents and disband our GLOs now, because you cannot make everyone happy all the time. If little things like that make you that upset, you shouldn't be Greek - or in any other group where you can't make every single one of your own decisions for that matter.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

This is PC run amuck.

Show me the first chapter that has been disciplined or punished for any such thing?

Is making someone pay their dues, as every other member does, hazing (would that make them feel bad?)
Old 10-10-2005, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Well if that's the case, then there is a hell of a lot of hazing going on during NPC rush.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=58562

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=36705

If it's gotten to the point where we actually believe things like that are hazing and would act on them, we might as well all fold up our tents and disband our GLOs now, because you cannot make everyone happy all the time. If little things like that make you that upset, you shouldn't be Greek - or in any other group where you can't make every single one of your own decisions for that matter.
I agree with you. I agree with all of you.

People have become so lawsuit happy, that GLOs have to really protect themselves, therefore the broad definition of hazing. I am sure that there is hazing in all types of organizations - the intermural soccer team, the ski club, the senior honor society, but for GLOs, since we aspire to be better people and better to those around us (read many of our creeds and open motto's), society is holding our feet to the fire. The moment one of us slips, then the public can say 'See, I knew those greeks were only about partying and breaking the rules, what good are they?' We, GLOs, are being held to a higher standard. When we fall, we fall hard.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluecattitude19 Send a message via Yahoo to bluecattitude19
I just want to see how this all plays out...I mean, how will other Greek organizations protect themselves, especially BGLO's...this kind of stuff can bankrupt a group if they are small enough....
Old 10-11-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by bluecattitude19
I just want to see how this all plays out...I mean, how will other Greek organizations protect themselves, especially BGLO's...this kind of stuff can bankrupt a group if they are small enough....

Your Point is Well taken by Members of GC and I wish We had a True Answer and How to prevent it

It does take a Long Term phylosophy to change this around by either Busting Chapters to a Point or let it continue.

I dont know of any GLOs who do not State an Anti Hazing Program.

It actually seems in many cases that Flag Ship Schools are given LeeWay over smaller Schools and Chapters.

But, a case in point, LXA is not at All Major Schools as Most GLOs arent at for many reasons.

LX Z # 1
Alumni