GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,323
2 members and 2,321 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman

Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

What if i'm not interested in goin through the rush/recruitment?

Is there any other way that i can join a sorority without going through recruitment/rush?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
There are other ways to join a greek organization. On many campuses it is called continuous open bidding (COB) or continuous open recruitment (COR). That basically means, that the semester after formal recruitment, if an organization has room for more sisters, they may hold events.

These events are usually very informal and give the PNMs a chance to meet the sisters and find out about the sisterhood in a very relaxed fashion.

I don't know if you have something against formal recruitment, but I suggest doing that first because it gives you a chance to meet women in ALL the organizations. Every chapter may not hold COB events and you wouldn't get a chance to meet those women.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 06-20-2007, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're interested in NPC sorority recruitment, then depending on where you go to school, (and I'd check with your school's Greek Office) COB or Informal recruitment is a good option if you don't want to go through the craziness of formal recruitment. Usually, informal/COB recruitment allows you to pick and choose which events you attend for which groups - each group may have a minimum number of events required, so be sure to ask or get information about how a group's informal process works. There are some downsides to going through informal recruitment, though. Some of these AlwaysSAI mentioned, including that you may not get to meet all of the great groups on your campus because of scheduling conflicts... let us know whatever you decide! Good luck!

*Disclaimer* some schools have a more structured process, so be sure to check with your Greek Office (ex: At schools with fall formal recruitment, COB opportunities may be limited if chapters are at total and many chapters may not participate in spring informal if they are at total.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if you don't want to go through recruitment, your options are REALLY limited. Even COB or COR is a form of recruitment. So I will assume that you mean you don't want to go through FORMAL recruitment. However depending on the school you go to, COB or COR may be limited to women that the sorority already knows- so if they don't know you, you won't be invited to attend the parties. Plus, not all chapters hold COR or informal recruitment.

Is there a reason why you don't want to go through recruitment?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Poor thing is probably scared to death after reading some of the horror stories being BUMPED today!

Maybe I'm wrong, but your tiny little light lavender font makes me thing you are shy. Am I correct? Just wondering why you want to steer clear of formal recruitment.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea i'm shy thats why i think that if i'm in a crowd with other gurls i wont be noticed that much! and just reading the posts on how the recruitment/rush goes just makes me even more scared!
Old 06-20-2007, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

another thing, wat if i haven't done any community service will that be a problem also?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzcutie_01 View Post
another thing, wat if i haven't done any community service will that be a problem also?
If you're looking to join an NPC then it would very much depend on the school and chapter.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:16 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't want to go through recruitment, I don't know how you're going to fair as a member of a sorority. Even if you happened to be able to get membership in a sorority, you will have to participate in recruitment from the other side and participate in many other activities that require you to meet people, etc. If you really, truly cannot stomach going through recruitment, then greek life may not be for you.

NutBrnHair, I don't know how you can make an assessment of someone by the type of font they use.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm really getting an impression of NPHC here, the 3.0 GPA, the not wanting to do "rush" and the community service. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I'm really getting an impression of NPHC here, the 3.0 GPA, the not wanting to do "rush" and the community service. I could be wrong though.
I agree - I've never heard anyone interested in NPC call it "the" rush. The community service for sure. Unless it's someone who's been brought up around NPHC groups who wants to go NPC and is unaware of the differences.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm from the Bahamas so i dont kno about recruitment or NPC/NPHC. Basically all i kno about is the different sororities and their duties. Our colleges over here dont have sororities so i'm just trying to find out about everything before i decide to join
Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

First things first. In most cases, a sorority is a social and service organization for collegiate women. If you're interested in joining a sorority, you're going to be involved with community service activities, social events with the members (and members of other like organizations), etc.

There are many kinds of sororities, many of which have banded together to form conferences (kind of like in college football where there are "conferences" that play against one another and follow similiar rules). The most commonly known sorority conferences in the USA are:

The National Panhellenic Conference
www.npcwomen.org

The National Pan-Hellenic Council
http://www.nphchq.org/

There are also a large number of Cultural Interest Sororities (Asian, Lesbian, Christian, Multi-Cultural, etc.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultura...and_sororities

Each conference or group has its own methods of membership recruitment and membership requirements. Check them out by organization and conference and see which ones may be more suited to your interests.

In order to be considered for membership in of one of these organizations, you must be a student at a university with an existing chapter of the organization currently exists. (there are some exceptions, but this is one way to get started.)