GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,136
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PoodleDeNovo24
» Online Users: 1,258
2 members and 1,256 guests
Cookiez17, MSKKG

Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Pledge Education

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what goes into your pledge education process. Right now, ours is composed of:

-fraternity history and traditions
-local greek life
-chapter history and traditions
-social/dinner/dress/LIFE etiquette
-anything else that our Director of Pledges feels appropriate (how to tap a keg, names of local advisors and alumni, etc.)

Next semester I think we'll be incorporating parliamentary procedure through Robert's Rules of Order.

So, any suggestions for additonal material to cover?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
My chapter incorporates:
-Understanding of core values: Love, Honor, Truth
-Fraternal history (founders, Alpha chapter @ VMI)
-Greek Alphabet (nothing more embarassing than misspelling an invite to a sorority... didn't happen to our guys, but another fraternity lost a social over it! haha)
-Social etiquette (or "How not to get slapped on a date.")
-Campus greek history
-RISK REDUCTION (aka, how not to be a dumbass and get yourself or the fraternity in trouble by being smart)
-Anti-hazing seminars
-Public speaking practice/presentations to the chapter of what the core values mean to the individual pledge
-Study sessions/brother tutoring for academics (School first, Fraternity second)
-Robert's Rules of Order
-How to unclasp a bra one handed while blindfolded (just kidding)
-Traditions and historic locations around our campus related to our fraternity
-Circle of Trust exercise (Private event where everyone present discloses their greatest fear, one of their deepest secrets, and their happiest memory. This serves to humanize other pledges that you might have thought you had nothing in common with... Discussions follow about similar experiences. Also works well as a brotherhood teambuilding exercise! What is said at this event STAYS at this event.)
-Brotherhood walks (where bigs/lils discuss the above material prior to initiation)

I wouldn't add anything alcohol related to formal pledge education for liability reasons, but not a bad idea about keg tapping... haha!

Good luck to you!
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 04-27-2007, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Would agree with the risk reduction - that was probably the very first thing my pledge class learned because another chapter had a party the previous week where a bunch of their guys got MIP'ed. I don't think we ever covered it as well, or as early the rest of the time I was in the chapter. Certainly, before the first party you can cover things like staying inside, don't take alcohol into the DD's cars, don't go outside to smoke, look after your brothers, what to do if the cops come, etc. A lot of it's going to be campus specific based on how the cops normally treat college parties, and what sort of specific issues have been a problem in the past for your chapter.

I also think that the requirements within a pledge program can go a long way to imparting the values a chapter has. My chapter required a certain number of community service hours, minimum numbers of intramurals, certain requirements at house events, involvement in at least 2 on campus organizations, and a pledge semester GPA higher than our General Fraternity requirements or most of our rival chapters in order to initiate. That sets it out from the beginning that we expect new members to be complete college students doing well academically while also getting their name out on campus and doing good things in the community.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-27-2007, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuHX766
Yeah, we set the GPA bar at the College Man's average for the previous semester (usually around a 2.4 to a 2.5).

Also, when I say risk reduction, I don't mean how to party safely... we teach that outside of our formal candidate education. I mean also doing STD education/prevention, mandatory DD duty until 2:30 AM on the night you vollunteer to take part (everyone rotates through our "Risk Reducer" position once a month), etc.
--Since 1869--
S N E T T
Old 04-28-2007, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joescott View Post
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what goes into your pledge education process. Right now, ours is composed of:

-fraternity history and traditions
-local greek life
-chapter history and traditions
-social/dinner/dress/LIFE etiquette
-anything else that our Director of Pledges feels appropriate (how to tap a keg, names of local advisors and alumni, etc.)

Next semester I think we'll be incorporating parliamentary procedure through Robert's Rules of Order.

So, any suggestions for additonal material to cover?
You seem to have covered most of the Basics and all of the above have given great insights.

Trying to keep the attention is also important for Members.

1. GPA or held over or gone. You are in school to grad!
2. National History.
3. National Principles= R & M and what is expected.
4. History of the local Chapter.
5. Etiquette- while basic is important. Easy, do not dress like a slob, treat your date well and do not be an ass.

Since today, many HQ's want to get new Associates Initiated with a shorter Association period, it gets harder and harder.

LOL, learning Roberts Rules, that can be trained in the Class or when they become members. If it is not done correct, they will not get much be done properly.

Remember, You do not make and admendment!

You Move!

Sounds good over all! Getter Done!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-02-2007, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

First off, why do you have ettiquette lessons?
Do they not already have proper ettiquette? They were raised by their parents!

Pledge education has a "normal ring to it.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Actually, just New Member Education for sororities. Once they accept a invitation to membership, they are no longer 'potential' new members.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
1) Of course the pledges are well-mannered. We use a book called "How To Be A Gentleman" by John Bridges. It goes over everyday etiquette. Here are some sample chapters:
How To Write A Sympathy Note
How To End A Conversation
How To Make A Toast
When To Send A Thank-You Note
Anyone can open doors for girls or carry their books. The etiquette section helps make these guys better men.
Hampden-Sydney College, an all male school in Virginia, issued to issue (and still might) its students a pamphlet titled "To Manners Born, To Manners Bred". My chapter requested a copy from a brother at the campus. It was very helpful in 'fine tuning' for situations that some of our members had never dealt with before college.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yale08 View Post
So I guess during line-ups you grill them on the proper way of writing a thank you note?
Uh, no. We used it as a referrence to talk to pledges about the proper behavior and actions in certain circumstances. Even people raised with proper manners come across situations that they have not encountered before. And, the girls loved the fact that we went over etiquette with the brothers.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If you don't know proper etiquette by the time you get to college........something is wrong. Reading a damn book? Ridiculous.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
If one of them fails (below 90%), then the entire class has to return at 5:00 the next morning to take another test. It repeats until they all pass on the same attempt.
Hmm...can you say Risk Management issue?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh Shut Up. Please.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:43 PM

joescott -

How long is your organization's pledge period?

Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We don't do line-ups. The pledges take a written test every week. If one of them fails (below 90%), then the entire class has to return at 5:00 the next morning to take another test. It repeats until they all pass on the same attempt. If anyone fails miserably, then we grill them (yes, even if they don't know when to send a thank-you note).
i can't stop giggling about this. but on a more serious note, i think this is a great idea (having etiquette lessons, not the 5 am test!). in fact, i think it's such a good idea i'm sending this thread to my brother.

it doesn't hurt anybody to have etiquette lessons, and it can be a great asset in life, and it guarantees that girls are impressed and talk favorably about you afterwards
Old 05-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
We're restricted to only sixty days. Why?
Just curious to know how much time you have to teach them about fraternity history, public symbols, etc.