GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,265
2 members and 1,263 guests
navane, speedsters

Old 04-24-2001, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Were you in Sub-Deb in High School?

I was wondering if anyone was in Sub-Deb in high school and is now in a sorority.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

I am sorry, but what is a sub-deb?
Old 04-24-2001, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I was in it in high school, we had to go through some serious torture. I didn't get anything out of it. I really didn't even understand its' purpose. Do you?
Old 04-24-2001, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Sub-Deb was like a high school sorority-without the sisterhood, loyalty, rituals, bonding....well actually it was nothing like a sorority.

All I remember is it was not affiliated with the school and it was invitation only. We went through one night of torture and were in. (doused in motor oil, eat on command, repeat anything asked..typical hazing)

It turned me off to sororities. I thought that is what it was going to be like in college. I am glad I was wrong. I just hope no one else makes the same mistake I did by thinking it would be the same.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

wow! our high school had nothing of that sort. I really dont think it sounds like anything i would want to be a part of anyway considering you said you had to spend one night in torture. To be honest with you, nothing is worth it if you have to go through that, and what for? just to say you are a part of it? Dont think so! Glad no one from my high school participated in anything like that.

Thanks for letting me know what it was!
Old 04-24-2001, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Doused in motor oil is typical hazing? Glad I don't go to school there!

Quote:
Originally posted by three2tango:
Sub-Deb was like a high school sorority-without the sisterhood, loyalty, rituals, bonding....well actually it was nothing like a sorority.

All I remember is it was not affiliated with the school and it was invitation only. We went through one night of torture and were in. (doused in motor oil, eat on command, repeat anything asked..typical hazing)

It turned me off to sororities. I thought that is what it was going to be like in college. I am glad I was wrong. I just hope no one else makes the same mistake I did by thinking it would be the same.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Usually, the girls are in their HS sophomore year but it can go up to college freshman. It just depends on the organization.

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorgrrl:
I'm not sure of the exact age for sub-debs, but there are a few clubs in New Orleans.
Old 04-25-2001, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Around here, being a sub-deb means an entirely different thing!

A sub-deb is what a girl is before she is old enough to be presented at the carnival balls, and other deb balls. I'm not sure of the exact age for sub-debs, but there are a few clubs in New Orleans. Its a very prestigious thing.
Old 04-25-2001, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

High school sororities were banned in my school, although I know that my mother was in a high school sorority in the 60's. I thought they had pretty much died out, because I didn't hear anything about them during my high school years.
Old 04-25-2001, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

We don't have that in my school. Personally--I find that DEGRADING and utterly RIDICULOUS that a high school even lets it happen--I don't care how "fun" it can be...it's morally ridiculous and makes us as HS students look bad. As does any hazing of any kind.

I can't believe that it even exists. And why hasn't a fight been put up about this anyhow in your school? I feel very sorry for the victims of this so-called "innocent prank."
Old 04-26-2001, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Three2Tango, they had Sub-deb where I woas originally from. They used to make the prospective new members stand on ladders beside a busy rode with bikini's on with lamp shades on their heads. Where are you from? I have only ever heard of one place with Sub-Deb.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

We had high school "sororities"...they were in connection with Rotary, Kiwanis, Optimist, etc...there were four of them where I was, and two of them were "the ones to join". Most girls got cut, and they were noticably homogeneous (I was in one of the two so-called "elite" ones, so I think I'm in a pretty good position to talk). They had initiation and sorts of stuff like that, "mixers" with the male counterparts. We even had teas and whatnot, all under the masking of a "service club".

On the other hand, debutante balls are something completely different. I expect the REAL balls to happen either senior year in HS or after freshman year in college, but NO LATER AND CERTAINLY NOT ANY EARLIER. There was a thread here relating to not allowing girls who had babies to participate. This started a lively discussion among some of my sorority sisters.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I totally agree with Bubbles. Can't believe that this happens. Absolutely insulting, ridiculous, and demoralizing. Too bad that you didn't care to think, "Oh, what if that was ME? Do I want to be treated THAT WAY? How would I feel if I were the laughingstock that day?"

*shaking head in disbelief*

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited April 26, 2001).]
Old 04-27-2001, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
We had high school "sororities"...they were in connection with Rotary, Kiwanis, Optimist
Hell yeah with the optimist.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl: On the other hand, debutante balls are something completely different. I expect the REAL balls to happen either senior year in HS or after freshman year in college, but NO LATER AND CERTAINLY NOT ANY EARLIER. There was a thread here relating to not allowing girls who had babies to participate. This started a lively discussion among some of my sorority sisters.

I worked at a country club that deb. balls. I guess they were around 18-20 maybe.

[This message has been edited by Billy Optimist (edited April 27, 2001).]
Old 04-27-2001, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MSTISHA
I was a Sub-Debutante in High School and then later on was a Debutante. It really wasn't like a Sorority but we were presented to our community as an elite group of girls who maintained high moral character in our community and at least a 3.0 GPA. As a Sub-Deb we performed at the Debutante Ball. We didn't go through any pledging type process. You were sent a letter by the organization to participate in it.