GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,251
0 members and 1,251 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
He didn't get a bid....
Oh ok.

Since you have Tourettes, I will not debate you about the syndrome. However, it is considered one of the more verbal and physical (facial, hand, and body movements) conditions.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:01 PM

I've heard people blurt stuff out and what was said was not attributed to any illness/disorder. It's just the person being socially awkward.

For example: We had a PNM come through a couple years back who said that because our chapter was on the 11th floor of our dorm, it was harder to hide bodies and push them out of windows without being noticed (yes she really said that). Turns out this PNM had a history of saying inappropriate things at inappropriate times, thinking it was funny to help her cope with insecurities and assumed others automatically got her humor. She was socially awkward.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
*Aspergers

I kept reading your post as "ass burgers"

Quote:
My main concern was he has Asburgers, meaning he blurts of secrets without knowing.
As others have said, that is not at all what Asperger's means. If anything, what it tends to mean is that he says things without understanding how others will hear or react to what he says -- which is more along the lines of the example you gave anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
It may be Asperger's that increases the likelihood of his doing that but I would not put that solely on Asperger's as though Asperger's causes it. There are different levels of Asperger's just as there are different levels of autism (which Asperger's is a form of). People, and especially adults, with Asperger's can be more functional which is how they are often able to live relatively "normal" lives with a few quirks here and there. Some people with Asperger's have no more quirks than those without Asperger's.

Many people with ADHD and Tourette Syndrome also blurt out things that they do not mean to say. From my experiences, there are cases where ADHD and tourettes can be more difficult to control than more mild forms of autism and Asperger's.
Yes to all this. FWIW, my understanding is that when an Asperger's diagnosis is being made, Tourette Syndrome is one of the diagnoses that needs to be ruled out.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Yes to all this. FWIW, my understanding is that when an Asperger's diagnosis is being made, Tourette Syndrome is one of the diagnoses that needs to be ruled out.
That is quite correct, Tourettes needs consistent motor tics above everything else (which comes with Autistic disorders). If that is not met, then other options are looked at.

I will just say this is still on going (spoke too soon earlier), but thanks for all your input.

As for secrets, I don't trust him. In order to give a bid, you need to have trust the person will not reveal anything. Sure pledging has aspects of this to test, but dropping someone can feel a lot worse than not giving a bid.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I will just say this is still on going (spoke too soon earlier), but thanks for all your input.
I'll agree with those who said that you don't have to be a friend to be a brother. I'll just throw out there -- as a parent of a kid with Asperger's -- that I don't think you'd be doing him any favors to give him a "charity bid." I fear you'd be setting him up for some major difficulty. People with Asperger's can certainly learn to navigate socially, and I suppose it could happen in a fraternity context, but I think it's more likely that it would be terribly stressful for everyone and wouldn't be the way for him to develop social skills. It could make things worse for him.

Quote:
As for secrets, I don't trust him. In order to give a bid, you need to have trust the person will not reveal anything.
The ability to keep secrets is certainly a reasonable expectation for a brother. I just wouldn't assume that any inability to keep secrets has anything to do with Asperger's -- frankly, I've never encountered that as an "Asperger's trait." If anything, I think it more likely that someone with Asperger's -- who tend to want to follow rules and have everyone else follow rules -- would probably be fairly careful about keeping secrets. My kid is.

But, as others have said, Asperger's can be very different from person to person.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
For example: We had a PNM come through a couple years back who said that because our chapter was on the 11th floor of our dorm, it was harder to hide bodies and push them out of windows without being noticed (yes she really said that). Turns out this PNM had a history of saying inappropriate things at inappropriate times, thinking it was funny to help her cope with insecurities and assumed others automatically got her humor. She was socially awkward.
And see, I would have thought that was extremely funny.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
And see, I would have thought that was extremely funny.
I thought it was a joke. LOL.

Those kinds of things are case-by-case basis. It depends on the people involved, how they are feeling at that time, and how the joke is relayed.