GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,398
2 members and 1,396 guests
LaneSig

Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

My Very "Sweet" Recruitment Story!

I have a HUGE sugar tooth so I am going to be doing a sweet treats themed recruitment story. I was too scared to post live because I didn't want to jinx anything. But today was bid day so I will be posting my story in parts during the next couple days! Enjoy!

So a little bit about me—I am a freshman at a large ACC university. I am the first woman in my immediate family to go greek. My dad was in a fraternity, but that doesn’t really matter much. I had two family members that were both Ferrero Rochers at this school. They both absolutely loved it and told me a lot about Ferrero Rocher and how much they would love for me to be a Ferrero Rocher too, but I am going into rush with an open mind knowing that I want to find a house that fit ME. My family members both wrote me recommendations for Ferrero Rocher. I also had one recommendation each at Key Lime Pie and Ghirardelli. Other than that I did not have any other recommendations or special relationships etc.

Godiva
Key Lime Pie
Ghirardelli
Cup Cake
Milky Way
Ferrero Rocher
Snickers
Key Lime Pie
Crème Brulee
Almond Joy

Pre Kickoff
So it is a few days before rush kicks off and I just finished walking around the Greek Promotional Day in the pit. Each of the sororities had a table with a poster board decorated in pictures and a few members there to talk to everyone. I walked around to all of the tables thinking it would be a great way to get to know a little bit more about the sororities and maybe talk to a few girls—and it turned out that for the most part it was a great thing! I loved seeing all the pictures. It gave me a chance to see what the sisters do together and learn a little bit about their philanthropy. I had GREAT conversations with the girls at the Milky Way booth and the Ghirardelli booth. Other conversations and information were good but nothing that really made me think I definitely want to be/do not want to be in that sorority.

Kickoff Night!
Well I met both of my Rho Chis and my recruitment group tonight! Kickoff was a ton of fun—they had the Clef Hangers sing for us and had a few different vendors there giving out tshirts and other freebies. Both of my Rho Chis seem very nice and my group is great. Kickoff has made be SOOO ready for rush to start!

Round One:

Well round 1 is now over and I am beyond exhausted. It was CRAZY hot outside and I’m pretty sure I have never sweat or walked so much in my life, but it was a lot of fun! My Rho Chis told our group a lot about what to expect, but I still jumped when the girls started banging on the windows and screaming!

First I went to Crème Brulee. I was very nervous standing outside of the house before the round started. The Crème Brulee seniors performed a song and dance for us that was really cute. The girls I talked to were all very nice and made me feel comfortable and less nervous. They definitely seemed very enthusiastic about their sorority and all seemed very close. But nothing really stood out in this house. I just seemed good. Overall though I was pretty neutral about Crème Brulee upon leaving—didn’t love it didn’t hate it. Nothing stood out in a good way or a bad way.

Next we went to Cup Cake. The house was BEAUTIFUL. All of the girls who rushed me were very friendly and seemed to be in love with their sorority. But the conversations with all of them were very forced-a bunch of questions that were definitely rehearsed. It just did not seem natural which made me not feel like Cup Cake could be my home.

Milky Way was up next on the list. I had a great impression of Milky Way from the conversations I had at pre kickoff so I was very excited about visiting this house. The girls were all very pretty. Their song and theme were adorable. I had great conversations with the girls who rushed me and we actually talked about more than just the basics. It was great to hear how much they loved the sisterhood aspect of their sorority (which is very important to me) as well as the commitment to their philanthropy. All of the girls I had talked to at the pre kickoff event came up to me throughout my time in the house and said how great it was to see me and how they hoped to see me back again. It felt very personal and was a great experience. I left LOVING the house and hoping to be invited back.

Then came Snickers. I did not know much about Snickers so I was interested to see what it was like. Their theme was beyond adorable—the best one of the night for sure. The girls however did not seem as excited as the other houses I had been to. I had two girls that rushed me that had bad breath which I know is superficial but it was a turnoff. The conversations were pretty good though and I was interested in possibly going back and meeting more of the girls to get a better feel for Snickers as a whole.

After a dinner break we made our way to Ferrero Rocher. I was excited to see the house and meet the girls after hearing all about Ferrero Rocher from my family members. The theme was very cute. The girls were definitely super excited about rush and their sorority plus the house was very cute. The conversations were very good and I could see why my family members both loved it. In the end Ferrero Rocher was definitely a top contender for me!

The girls at Tiramisu were very excited—almost too excited. It seemed a little fake and was VERY overwhelming. The girls’ personalities just didn’t quite click with me. The conversations were very general and vague. I didn’t quite feel like it was a good match for me.

I was also looking forward to Ghirardelli. I had heard a lot about the sorority from the lady who wrote me a rec and I enjoyed the conversations I had with the girls at the pre kickoff event. Their song was cute. The theme wasn’t up my alley but that doesn’t really matter much. I did notice that the girls were not that excited about rush and seemed sort of aloof. The conversations I had were good-nothing too exciting or in depth, but not horrible. I left with a neutral feeling much like that of Crème Brulee.

Key Lime Pie was much like Ghirardelli. I had a recommendation to both and had heard a lot about it from the lady who wrote me the rec. I really enjoyed Key Lime Pie. Their theme was super cute and they were all very excited about their sorority. All of my conversations were good and I left with a desire to learn more about the sorority.

Godiva was next. By this point I was super tired and hungry. It was hard to be happy and smiley but I tried. Godiva had a very different song/dance than the other sororities. They were much more crazy and wild, but it was very funny. The first girl was nice-conversation was nothing special but it was not horrible either. The second girl was also very nice and I would have liked to talk to her more but there was some sort of mix up and literally 30 seconds after we started talking a new girl showed up to switch spots. The girl I had been talking to looked at her like she was crazy and handled the situation very inappropriately. She ended up getting up and just walking away-didn’t even say goodbye or it was nice meeting you. It made the conversation with the third girl very awkward and she was obviously frazzled. I left knowing Godiva probably wasn’t for me because I’m not that goofy or wild and crazy but would like to see what it was like on another day.

Finally came Almond Joy. Their theme was cute, but not very original. They all seemed to love their sorority, but it was obvious that they were tired and ready to be done for the day—and I don’t blame them because I was ready to be done too. The conversation was ok but I just didn’t find I had a lot in common with these girls. I knew that it wasn’t the place for me.

So I met my group and my Rho Chis back at our meeting spot to fill out our card for the day. I knew I had a few top houses and a few bottom houses but the ones in the middle were hard to decide. After talking to my Rho Chis and taking a little time to think about it I filled out my card like this:

Top Seven:
Milky Way
Ferrero Rocher
Key Lime Pie
Ghirardelli
Crème Brulee
Godiva
Snickers
Bottom Three:
Cup Cake
Tiramisu
Almond Joy
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie45 View Post
I have a HUGE sugar tooth so I am going to be doing a sweet treats themed recruitment story. I was too scared to post live because I didn't want to jinx anything. But today was bid day so I will be posting my story in parts during the next couple days! Enjoy!

So a little bit about me—I am a freshman at a large ACC university. I am the first woman in my immediate family to go greek. My dad was in a fraternity, but that doesn’t really matter much. I had two family members that were both Ferrero Rochers at this school. They both absolutely loved it and told me a lot about Ferrero Rocher and how much they would love for me to be a Ferrero Rocher too, but I am going into rush with an open mind knowing that I want to find a house that fit ME. My family members both wrote me recommendations for Ferrero Rocher. I also had one recommendation each at Key Lime Pie and Ghirardelli. Other than that I did not have any other recommendations or special relationships etc.

Godiva
Key Lime Pie
Ghirardelli
Cup Cake
Milky Way
Ferrero Rocher
Snickers
Key Lime Pie
Crème Brulee
Almond Joy

Pre Kickoff
So it is a few days before rush kicks off and I just finished walking around the Greek Promotional Day in the pit. Each of the sororities had a table with a poster board decorated in pictures and a few members there to talk to everyone. I walked around to all of the tables thinking it would be a great way to get to know a little bit more about the sororities and maybe talk to a few girls—and it turned out that for the most part it was a great thing! I loved seeing all the pictures. It gave me a chance to see what the sisters do together and learn a little bit about their philanthropy. I had GREAT conversations with the girls at the Milky Way booth and the Ghirardelli booth. Other conversations and information were good but nothing that really made me think I definitely want to be/do not want to be in that sorority.

Kickoff Night!
Well I met both of my Rho Chis and my recruitment group tonight! Kickoff was a ton of fun—they had the Clef Hangers sing for us and had a few different vendors there giving out tshirts and other freebies. Both of my Rho Chis seem very nice and my group is great. Kickoff has made be SOOO ready for rush to start!

Round One:

Well round 1 is now over and I am beyond exhausted. It was CRAZY hot outside and I’m pretty sure I have never sweat or walked so much in my life, but it was a lot of fun! My Rho Chis told our group a lot about what to expect, but I still jumped when the girls started banging on the windows and screaming!

First I went to Crème Brulee. I was very nervous standing outside of the house before the round started. The Crème Brulee seniors performed a song and dance for us that was really cute. The girls I talked to were all very nice and made me feel comfortable and less nervous. They definitely seemed very enthusiastic about their sorority and all seemed very close. But nothing really stood out in this house. I just seemed good. Overall though I was pretty neutral about Crème Brulee upon leaving—didn’t love it didn’t hate it. Nothing stood out in a good way or a bad way.

Next we went to Cup Cake. The house was BEAUTIFUL. All of the girls who rushed me were very friendly and seemed to be in love with their sorority. But the conversations with all of them were very forced-a bunch of questions that were definitely rehearsed. It just did not seem natural which made me not feel like Cup Cake could be my home.

Milky Way was up next on the list. I had a great impression of Milky Way from the conversations I had at pre kickoff so I was very excited about visiting this house. The girls were all very pretty. Their song and theme were adorable. I had great conversations with the girls who rushed me and we actually talked about more than just the basics. It was great to hear how much they loved the sisterhood aspect of their sorority (which is very important to me) as well as the commitment to their philanthropy. All of the girls I had talked to at the pre kickoff event came up to me throughout my time in the house and said how great it was to see me and how they hoped to see me back again. It felt very personal and was a great experience. I left LOVING the house and hoping to be invited back.

Then came Snickers. I did not know much about Snickers so I was interested to see what it was like. Their theme was beyond adorable—the best one of the night for sure. The girls however did not seem as excited as the other houses I had been to. I had two girls that rushed me that had bad breath which I know is superficial but it was a turnoff. The conversations were pretty good though and I was interested in possibly going back and meeting more of the girls to get a better feel for Snickers as a whole.

After a dinner break we made our way to Ferrero Rocher. I was excited to see the house and meet the girls after hearing all about Ferrero Rocher from my family members. The theme was very cute. The girls were definitely super excited about rush and their sorority plus the house was very cute. The conversations were very good and I could see why my family members both loved it. In the end Ferrero Rocher was definitely a top contender for me!

The girls at Tiramisu were very excited—almost too excited. It seemed a little fake and was VERY overwhelming. The girls’ personalities just didn’t quite click with me. The conversations were very general and vague. I didn’t quite feel like it was a good match for me.

I was also looking forward to Ghirardelli. I had heard a lot about the sorority from the lady who wrote me a rec and I enjoyed the conversations I had with the girls at the pre kickoff event. Their song was cute. The theme wasn’t up my alley but that doesn’t really matter much. I did notice that the girls were not that excited about rush and seemed sort of aloof. The conversations I had were good-nothing too exciting or in depth, but not horrible. I left with a neutral feeling much like that of Crème Brulee.

Key Lime Pie was much like Ghirardelli. I had a recommendation to both and had heard a lot about it from the lady who wrote me the rec. I really enjoyed Key Lime Pie. Their theme was super cute and they were all very excited about their sorority. All of my conversations were good and I left with a desire to learn more about the sorority.

Godiva was next. By this point I was super tired and hungry. It was hard to be happy and smiley but I tried. Godiva had a very different song/dance than the other sororities. They were much more crazy and wild, but it was very funny. The first girl was nice-conversation was nothing special but it was not horrible either. The second girl was also very nice and I would have liked to talk to her more but there was some sort of mix up and literally 30 seconds after we started talking a new girl showed up to switch spots. The girl I had been talking to looked at her like she was crazy and handled the situation very inappropriately. She ended up getting up and just walking away-didn’t even say goodbye or it was nice meeting you. It made the conversation with the third girl very awkward and she was obviously frazzled. I left knowing Godiva probably wasn’t for me because I’m not that goofy or wild and crazy but would like to see what it was like on another day.

Finally came Almond Joy. Their theme was cute, but not very original. They all seemed to love their sorority, but it was obvious that they were tired and ready to be done for the day—and I don’t blame them because I was ready to be done too. The conversation was ok but I just didn’t find I had a lot in common with these girls. I knew that it wasn’t the place for me.

So I met my group and my Rho Chis back at our meeting spot to fill out our card for the day. I knew I had a few top houses and a few bottom houses but the ones in the middle were hard to decide. After talking to my Rho Chis and taking a little time to think about it I filled out my card like this:

Top Seven:
Milky Way
Ferrero Rocher
Key Lime Pie
Ghirardelli
Crème Brulee
Godiva
Snickers
Bottom Three:
Cup Cake
Tiramisu
Almond Joy
Excited for the rest!
Old 09-10-2010, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
i usually don't post in these, but i just lol at the bad breath comment at the snickers' house.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Loving this one.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm definitely loving this one! Can't wait to hear the end.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

This story just makes me hungry :P

But i'm excited for more!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Round Two

Round Two:
I was super nervous about getting my schedule. I just wasn’t sure what the girls had thought of me or what they were looking for etc. Also rush at school is larger than usual (about 700 girls) and I was worried about cuts because of sheer numbers. But I got my schedule and was happily surprised! I only got cut from one of my top 7 houses and I was not at all upset about getting cut. I got cut from Godiva and got Cup Cake back so I had a full schedule for the day! The weather was much more tolerable and I was ready to start.

First I went to Snickers. Once again the theme was very cute! Their skit was very informative and interesting. But I still did not feel a strong bond to these girls.

Next was Ghirardelli. I did not get the point of their skit. It was a cool story I guess but it didn’t really tell me much about the sorority. I had okay conversations but nothing too special. They didn’t seem as enthusiastic again and I left wondering if they actually enjoy themselves ever.

Ferrero Rocher was after that. I was interested to see if I had more of a connection with this house but was sad when once again it was just okay. Their skit was semi-informative but not outstanding. One conversation was very good which gave me hope. But the other two were just boring and simple. I felt like I was just repeating what I had said the day before. I did not get a chance to ask questions about the sorority because the girls were always just asking the next question on the list it seemed.

Then came Key Lime Pie. After Round 1 I really like this house and was ready to see if I would feel the same way or if something would change. I quickly learned that it had changed—for the better! I absolutely loved their skit. I had GREAT conversations with all three girls—especially one. I could totally see her being my Big if I ended up in the sorority. I felt at home and very relaxed the whole time. Key Lime Pie quickly made its way to the top!

After Key Lime Pie I was worried all the other houses left on my schedule would seem like they weren’t a good fit. But Crème Brulee quickly made me feel differently. I loved their skit because it was so informative and fit me in so many ways. I also had GREAT conversation and felt very at ease in the house. It quickly became tied with Key Lime Pie.

I was excited to go back to Milky Way because I had loved it so much the first day. I was hoping for another great day at Milky Way but it ended up just being okay. The conversation almost felt like it should have been the conversation the first day. It was very general and boring. Also I did not feel like my questions were answered very well and left the house with an unimpressed feeling. The girls obviously loved their sorority and their philanthropy. I still have hope for Milky Way and am hoping today was just an off day and I get invited back again so that I can investigate the situation a little bit more.

The last house of the night was Cup Cake. I was hoping that today would be better and I would end up being glad that Cup Cake was back on my schedule. Unfortunately not much changed. Their skit seemed very boring and uninformative compared to the other houses. My first rusher was BEYOND nervous and boring. She asked a string of practiced questions and there were so many awkward silences. I felt like I had to carry the conversation and the time passed SO slowly. The second girl was better than the first but still wasn’t amazing. I just didn’t feel a connection and immediately decided that Cup Cake was not for me.

So the night finally ended. I went back to the meeting spot and found myself struggling to decide between two houses for my bottom keep spot and my first cut spot. My Rho Chi was super helpful and I realized that I knew what I had to do. In the end my card read like this:

Top Five
Key Lime
Crème Brulee
Milky Way
Ferrero Rocher
Ghirardelli

Bottom Two
Snickers
Cup Cake
Old 09-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

can't wait to hear more!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

You go!

Last edited by carnation; 09-11-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDelta2010 View Post
You go to ---!
Welcome to GC. It's considered bad form to out a poster's school if she hasn't done so herself. Sure, it's easy to figure out by reading her story, but when you actually put the name, it makes her thread searchable.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Co-Sign. Newbie, please remove your post.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
You go to xxxx!
Aren't you quite the rocket scientist? I'm so happy that you used all that energy to register just to make this post. You are sooooo much smarter than everyone else here!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Aren't you quite the rocket scientist? I'm so happy that you used all that energy to register just to make this post. You are sooooo much smarter than everyone else here!
Alright, it's edited, settle down folks.

OP, I'm liking this story so far, cant wait to hear how it turned out!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You go!
LOL. Nice edit!!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIBuckeye View Post
Alright, it's edited, settle down folks.

OP, I'm liking this story so far, cant wait to hear how it turned out!
1. The post hadn't been edited when the comments were made. Thanks so much for pointing out something anyone can see.

2. No one is riled up thus there is no need to "settle down."

3. No one has appointed you as the GC posting police so it is completely unnecessary to tell others how to behave. It just makes you look stupid.