GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,289
1 members and 2,288 guests
navane

Old 12-11-2001, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Disciplinary Action Report

I was passing through our Greek Sisters forum (DST) and thought of this topic...

Should Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. post a disciplinary report naming individuals and chapters who have violated our precious rules and regulations?

Should this report contain the names of individuals who are not a member of our precious organization who participate in hazing (which the organization has banned from participating in membership)?

What are your thoughts? I have my own....but I'll see what everyone has to say first.

Last edited by Happydaysf91; 12-11-2001 at 05:57 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-11-2001, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that if this type of information is posted, as far as sorors are concerned, that it should be for members eyes only. I don't see the point in non-sorors being able to see the list.

Now, as far as people who have been blackballed, for whatever reason, I don't see a problem to this being open to all NPHC members, but again, I don't see the point in putting it out for all to see.

As far as public embarassment to deter behavior, that is HAZING, right, as far as our orgs are concerned? So how can we "punish" someone for participating in hazing by hazing them in return??
Old 12-11-2001, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Yes, if a disciplinary report is posted on the Web site, it should be in the Members Only section.
Additionally, I'd make written copies available to regional directors and chapter basilei.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Why not?

I think a few Sorors know how I feel about this. Ya'll know I don't have a problem REPEATING myself.

I feel that "we" should have a "report". The "report" should exist for ONLY members of the sorority to see. If there are non-members who have exhibited unappropriate behavior (whatever the case may have been), they should have their names listed on a separate list.

To add on to Soror Ideal, maybe the NPHC could incorporate a "list" from the 9 organzation's "list" and have this great big ole "list".

hmmmmm, a thought for an upcoming NPHC meeting....(2D takes out her notebook)
Old 12-11-2001, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

AKA business is AKA business

Yes, we should have this report.

I agree with Soror Ideal08 - this information should be posted for Sorors only to access. Although I am only a week and 2 days old in AKA years, one thing that I understand the importance of is that our sorority business is our business only and it really should stay that way. By posting this information in the Sorors only area of our website, we would all have this information available to us to review.

I have looked at the DST list and will refrain from specifically talking about their list, as that's their business.

I think that what needs to be clearly defined is what would be the intended purpose?
- To collect overdue fines?
- To publicly embarrass and discourage others from hazing?
- To alert prospective members of suspended chapters and/or shady hazers?

Whatever the purpose is, there is some other way to accomplish the goal rather than air out our internal "issues" for the whole world to see.
Old 12-11-2001, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Re: Why not?

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
I think a few Sorors know how I feel about this. Ya'll know I don't have a problem REPEATING myself.

I feel that "we" should have a "report". The "report" should exist for ONLY members of the sorority to see. If there are non-members who have exhibited unappropriate behavior (whatever the case may have been), they should have their names listed on a separate list.

To add on to Soror Ideal, maybe the NPHC could incorporate a "list" from the 9 organzation's "list" and have this great big ole "list".

hmmmmm, a thought for an upcoming NPHC meeting....(2D takes out her notebook)
I agree, 2D. I especially like the idea of a great big ole list.

Prayerfull, I agree with you, too. Sorority business is sorority business and it should be for sorors only.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Mixed Feelings

I have mixed feelings....

Like many of you, I believe sorority business should stay sorority business.... That is, the list should stay inside.

But I'm also wondering should there be a 'list' distributed at all. I guess I'm concerned with member retention. If I were to make a mistake, I wouldn't want it to haunt me. Most people that would be listed on that list would probably not return to the organization (as an active member). We need to be careful how we treat out members. We don't want to push members away....So with that said, maybe Nat'l should keep this information to themself.

However, on the flip side.....as a former GA/Assistant GA at various schools, I see the need for such list. For instance, when we have members that are suspended or etc., but continue to cause problems....with a list, the interested women as well as other chapters around the city would be put on alert.

I really like the list for the blackballed individuals. I guess this is kind of personal.....I hate it when stuff goes down with a chapter and it is said by Nat'l that certain individuals cannot participate in the process (membership), but you found out a year or two later (or at a convention) that so-in-so who wrote in and did such and such is your 'soror' now(yeah...that's really personal). Also, I like it because it can put other organizations on alert. We don't want someone who is blackballed from DST coming over to AKAland.

Lastly, I also like the fine system...however, I don't know if that will work well at all. Let me think about this...'if I was suspended and couldn't participate in my organizations events and etc....would I be willing to pay fines for my wrong-doing'.....Probably NOT! But it is a good try....I don't know about you all, but I don't like my dues funding wrongful activity that I did not participate in (smile). Yea, they get suspended, but we get stuck with the lawsuits and worse (in some cases).....those individuals who participated willingly and then decided to report.

That's all for now

Last edited by Happydaysf91; 12-12-2001 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

being that i am not a member i will try and phrase my words so as to not tread on an unfamilar area but at the same time address an issue that i think does have an impact on prospective members.

i have looked at the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated disciplinary action report and the one thing that i do like is the fact that it does have an applicants rights and responsibility page filled with information that may seem common sense but it provides very specific, DETAILED information on what is expected. i particularly like the hazing section that is very detailed on what is constituted as hazing so there is NO WAY on this earth that anyone could not know whether or not they have participated in hazing activity. and it will provide the necessary information to put up red flags if prospective members find themselves in an inappropriate situation. i do think that prospective members should know whether or not there are women who have attempted to seek membership and have been for example, barred for life. i say this because i am thinking about the younger women who may not be familiar with greek life and who may connect with another prospective. it would be a shame if they connected with someone who has a negative reputation with the organization.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Quote:
Originally posted by darling1
...and it will provide the necessary information to put up red flags if prospective members find themselves in an inappropriate situation. i do think that prospective members should know whether or not there are women who have attempted to seek membership and have been for example, barred for life. i say this because i am thinking about the younger women who may not be familiar with greek life and who may connect with another prospective. it would be a shame if they connected with someone who has a negative reputation with the organization.

I agree with my sorors, but part of me tends to agree with darling 1 as well, to avoid prospectives attempting to connect with anyone that has been caught engaging in hazing activities.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Painting the Bronx, NY pretty PINK and gorgeous GREEN
we'll see...

I would think that this type of list would spark more legal ramifications than it was trying to avoid, especially with the list of women who would be barred from membership... Don't you think that it is certainly the sorority's business and not the entire world's to see barred applicants? I can see the defamation of charactor lawsuits comming from a mile away, because these women are not even members of XYZ organization and you are posting their name on your website without permission... Hmmmn?
Old 12-12-2001, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: we'll see...

Quote:
Originally posted by Diva_56
I would think that this type of list would spark more legal ramifications than it was trying to avoid, especially with the list of women who would be barred from membership... Don't you think that it is certainly the sorority's business and not the entire world's to see barred applicants? I can see the defamation of charactor lawsuits comming from a mile away, because these women are not even members of XYZ organization and you are posting their name on your website without permission... Hmmmn?
It's not defamation if it is true - I'm not saying the underlying conduct is always ajudicated as true, but the fact that they are barred from applying to your organization is true - that information belongs to the organization and they can do what they want with it. Also, the application process (depending on the organization) and forms should be worded in such a way to let applicants know that once they turn the application in, it becomes the property of the organization. Having said all that, do I think it should be published information? Not in one fell swoop - I think the applicants rights and responsiblities statement should be public and I think the list of suspended chapters should be published. Applicants barred is really only relevant to chapters doing intake and they can read the list they get every year. It also doesn't do you any good as women leave college, get married, their names change and if/when they apply to alumnae chapter, they may go undetected.
Old 12-13-2001, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BeeJae
Lightbulb

People have varying opinions of posting a disciplinary report...
Think about this...

Organizations are being sued for the behavior of their members. When an organization is AWARE of illegal activity being perpetrated by its members and CONCEALS that fact, it is then liable for any illegal activity that member perpetrates because the organization did not reveal that this person was a problem.

People have sued the courts for releasing child molesters into their neighborhoods without notifying them and then those child molesters have molested their children. AS a result, many states require sexual offenders to register so that their neighbors will be aware. It really is no different to conceal the identity of folks that the organization does not recognize as members because of their CONDUCT... none of Delta's report contains "administrative" sanctions... it is ALL for CONDUCT.

There is a current lawsuit against an organization because a prospective member was injured by a KNOWN hazer - one who was already under disciplinary action.. but the organization never released this information to the prospective members...

When you show up as a freshman on a college campus and see folks dressed in the para of the organization you want to join, you ASSUME that they are members in good standing of the organization if no one has informed you otherwise. When you then participate in activities with these women who were actually under disciplinary action, you have now subjected YOURSELF to disciplinary action.

The easiest way to avoid this is to reveal the names of the folks who've been problems.

Delta's list has always existed for perusal by all members, but many members never knew it even existed.

As for the "Applicants Barred from Membership", this list is of those women who APPLIED to DST and prior to becoming members were found to have violated the agreement that they signed with their application to not participate in any form of illegal activity. They signed a CONTRACT and then broke it.

As long as we continue to shelter the bad apples in our organizations under the guise of "sisterhood" and "sorority business", we are in fact ENDORSING their behavior... I only hope we are prepared to lose our organizations on their behalf when we are sued.

Last edited by BeeJae; 12-13-2001 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: we'll see...

Quote:
Originally posted by Diva_56
First, please do not assume that the potential legal ramifications of posting the list were not examined by my Sorors on the National Executive Board in consultation with our legal advisors before the decision was made. This was not a step taken lightly in any way, shape or form.

Second, Delta is not the only organization to list suspended members on their website. The Omega Psi Phi website has had this information listed for a while now. Interesting I have never seen the same hoopla over it. I am sure there may have been when it went up but apparently it has not posed a problem.

Third, all of the listed individuals are either members who made binding commitments to the organization as far as conduct was concerned or applicants who also signed a contract when they applied. Both groups were fully aware of the possible disciplinary action that could result from breaking their part of that agreement. There is an investigation process that must be followed before one is included on the list and there is an internal appeal process. Of course the courts always exist as a last resort, however a defamation suit will only succeed if the information put out is false. If the Sorority has suspended you, what is false about telling that to the world? If you are barred from membership, again, that is a fact. The underlying allegations are not published. And truthfully, even if they were, those on the list would want to have their ducks in a row (pardon the expression) before setting foot in a courthouse.

No one is out to embarrass Delta Sigma Theta, least of all the National Executive Board. As Beejae stated, this was done in many ways to PROTECT my beloved Sorority. A far more pressing legal issue facing all BGLO's today is whether they KNEW or SHOULD have known about illegal hazing and hazers within the organization. Publishing the list to make others aware who is not to participate with Sorority activities and to alert interests as to women they should avoid in their pursuit of Delta is a way of demonstrating that we are not trying to conceal this information. If the offenders are embarrassed- so be it. Don’t do the crime if you can't do the time. And many of those listed would not be there if they paid their fines.

How other BGLO's will choose to deal with this has yet to be seen. To each her own. Each organization has to do what is right for her and look honestly at what the situation calls for. It would be the greatest tragedy and embarrassment to see any of the Divine Nine brought down under the weight of pricey litigation over hazing, unable to fulfill the mission of her Founders.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: we'll see...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmie1913
Second, Delta is not the only organization to list suspended members on their website. The Omega Psi Phi website has had this information listed for a while now. Interesting I have never seen the same hoopla over it. I am sure there may have been when it went up but apparently it has not posed a problem.
Probably, because before this, no one knew that ANY org had such a list. I know I didn't. Does the NPHC website have anything like this listed on it's website?

I'm sorry, but I feel like this discussion is kinda getting off topic. Soror Happydays didn't start this thread to bring more drama to our DST sisters, and I kinda feel like that's where this is going. We've had enough of that. Sisters of DST, you don't need to explain your reasons or whatever for having the DAR on your website. Shoot, do your thang.

I am not trying to thwart the discussion here, I simply don't want it to get completely off topic, and I don't want any drama. Sisters of the Divine 9 and SF's, please, continue to feel free to post your opinions. I know that it's hard to not compare this thread topic to the DAR on DST's website, but please try not to. I only say this, because you just never know. It has already been a touchy topic.

Please, talk amongst yourselves!
Old 12-13-2001, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

You are right soror....

Thanks for stepping in Ms. Moderator.....

My question is: "Do WE, the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., think it's a good idea for such a report and what would we include in such".

Now, this is not to exclude other greeks or sisterfriends to responding. YOU MAY RESPOND...and your opinions are welcomed. But to make the question more fitting to you....answer it from your perspective. That is, for sisterfriends/propsective candidates....reply as to how you think such a list would be beneficial or not to you in your pursuit of membership. For other greeks....do you like the idea of having such a list in your organization/would you publish it/what would you include in such.

I actually knew about the Omegas listing...they have had it for quite a while! And I actually talked to several greeks about such. I don't think that people are making a big deal out of this -- most of us were made aware of the report via postings in the DST forum as well as our own forum. Its new! And like with anything new, new discussions/debates/and etc. are going to be brought to the forefront.

Therefore, the other greek organizations who do post listings, do not take this as people criticizing/judging your organizations for doing such. I actually applaud you all! None of us have figured out how to eradicate/deter hazing....I don't know if this will...but it may insulate you from numerous lawsuits -- something all BGLO need right about now!

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Last edited by Happydaysf91; 12-13-2001 at 03:26 PM.