GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,339
1 members and 2,338 guests
amileqtivanova1

Old 11-28-2001, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Significant others parents gift ideas

What is a good gift idea for your boyfriend/girlfriend's parents? Do you get them something together or individually? Here is my situation:
Been with boy long time. Last year was the first time we did the holidays together. I'm at his house about 4 times a week (they consider me part of the family). They got me a tin of mixed nuts and some ice cream. I got her a candle and his dad a movie.

This year, they have p*ssed me off a lot with some of their comments. What do I get them?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2001, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
I just give my fiance's parents a box of Godiva chocolates and I grin and bear it. I don't like them very much.
Old 11-28-2001, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb I understand how you feel!

My boyfriend's stepmom is easy to buy for, but his dad is really difficult. I have no idea what to get him!

This weekend, we discussed buying him a DVD player and giving it to him as a "joint" gift from me, my boyfriend, his brother and his brother's wife.

I'm hoping that we end up doing that since it will take the pressure off of me picking out an individual gift that I'm not sure he'll like!
Old 11-28-2001, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

At what point is it "expected" to give SOs parents gifts for the holidays? I've been with my boy for 20 months, but we're pretty close and I've been invited to meet the rest of the (extended) family for the holidays. If I do a gift, it will be a family gift, like a homemade dessert (I love doing that!) or a board game (they love it). I've already been put in the secret santa exchange...so, what to do?
Old 11-28-2001, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was in high school, I took a really great pic of my guy for my photography class. Last year, I had a copy made and got a nice silver-plate frame for it.

His mom LOVED it.

And I also make them cookies.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Get one of them a really nice poinsettia, maybe one of the new varieties with unusual coloring!
Old 11-28-2001, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

A few years ago, I gave my then boyfriend's parents an egg. It was a jeweled egg. They displayed it. It was pretty nice, this was the same set of parents who gave me the fake gold. (see the worst xmas presents thread)

I haven't thought of what to get zntke's parents yet.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

For the fam (his brothers and parents)- a plate of homemade cookies or brownies with cute decorations.

Mom- A cookie cutter and a bag of cookie or biscuit mix from William Sonoma or a Candle Holder or frame from Pottery Barn.

Dad- A bottle of wine or a CD of his favorite music.

I guess I am pretty close to my best friend's parents and I buy things for each of his brothers as well.

If you are pretty close , think of what you would get your own fam members.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
gourmet food baskets are always good...as long as there is variety there is bound to be something in it they will like. or if they are coffee drinkers a sample of different flavors...a nice dated ornament is always nice too.....or a collectable figurine with the date, snowbabies, precious moments. All went over well with my boy's parents. Or so I am told...
also...if they have a nice car, bmb, wv jetta, and you think they are into this stuff you could get them various items with the car logos on them. His parents have BMW mugs from the dealer when they got the car but i know there's tons of Jetta merchandise you can get too...try the web
Old 11-29-2001, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Would a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant be ok? I've been to Olive Garden with them enough times that I know they like it...
Old 11-29-2001, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I've been with my boyfriend about 10 mos. He and I are getting them a really expensive bottle of wine (they are wine connesseurs, its a new hobby of theirs) and a day at a some winery in PA for a tour and stuff.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenC725
Would a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant be ok? I've been to Olive Garden with them enough times that I know they like it...
That would be a great idea, Karen.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

My Boyfriend's parents live in South Africa and they will only be here for his graduation a week and a half before christmas. I plan on taking them out to a nice restaurant or getting them something they can only get over here.

If my bf's parent's lived over here I would probably get his mom a fragrance gift bag from Victoria's secret and a cologne for his dad. (can you tell i love fragrances) If I were not on good terms with his parents like someone mentioned, I would get a very impersonal gift for the house like a wall clock or something.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Of all the ideas, I like Junirogirls picture and frame the best. Carnations poinsetta and Karen's Olive Garden were CLOSE seconds. OH< THE BAKED GOODS TOO-Who wrote that?

Never spend too much, don't get too personal because unless there's a ring on your finger, a date set OR you are POSITIVE your future will be together, ya just never know how The parents REALLY feel about you. Not to scare anyone, but it's the truth.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks JAM His mom loves pictures and this one was really quirky and cool. It was a black and white, Josh leaning on a wall, arms folded, and a leopard beanie baby on his shoulder. It was definitely unique.

Every year, my boyfriend brings my mom a Pointsettia. Its a tradition that his older brother started when he was dating (he's now married.)