GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,129
4 members and 2,125 guests
aantonygooglet9, Kevin, Pinkmagnolia921
Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jp685
Exec board kind of corrupt?

I'm the social chair for my sorority, so I'm in charge of planning formal. We haven't had socials for over a year and we only have formal once a year. They gave me $1500 as a budget for formal and I figured if I charged $35 for tickets it would cover a really nice formal (usually our formals are crappy). I was told however I wasn't allowed to raise tickets from $30, and now we can't have a sit down dinner only "snacks" like cheese and crackers. I was a little upset because what kind of formal is that? I'm also a senior so I want my last formal to be memorable and not another formal with a bad DJ and bad food. So that's my problem with formal is that they won't let me raise prices or give me more money to make the formal nice.
I recently learned however that the entire Exec board of 6 girls had a retreat in another state using our money from dues that was not authorized by the rest of the chapter. They also admitted they bought monogrammed sweatshirts for themselves only. An advisor from National came down and told them they had to buy something for the chapter to "make up" for the money they used from OUR budget. So they bought us all hair bows with our letters printed on it. Which in my opinion isn't equivalent to a beach retreat or monogrammed sweatshirts.

None of my other sisters like confrontation and most of them aren't even aware their dues money was misused. Some of them have asked to see the budget, but the finance chair still has not honored their request. I am standing up in front of the entire chapter next week and confronting Exec board myself for an explanation. I sent them an email telling them my concerns and they got really defensive and gave me attitude. I've never had a problem with any of my sisters and I've always been very reasonable. However the way Exec board treated me when I was looking for answers was incredibly uncalled for and unprofessional. It's so bad that if the meeting next week does not go as planned and they do not give us an explanation or change their spending I'm considering disaffiliation. All I ask is that they share the budget with the members of the chapter and we vote on how the money is used. Am I wrong for thinking that the budget shouldn't be used for a select few of the board members without the knowledge of the rest of the chapter? Because the members of the board seem to think that they have done nothing wrong, and that really bothers me. I am on the exec board of an honor society and we always get input from the rest of the group before we make any decisions. I think that's how it should be. I really feel uncomfortable being in a chapter where things are happening behind closed doors without my knowledge and with MY money.

But anyway the Exec board is really unhappy with me and plans on giving me my disaffiliation papers at the meeting. I doubt my sisters will stand behind me because they're too afraid to confront the group, even though they have told me they don't like the Exec board at all. I just want your opinion about whether or not I'm overreacting. I've been in the chapter for over a year and have made such close friends, and disaffiliation would be sad for me, but I can't stay in the group if this is how they are going to continue to operate, especially if the advisor from Nationals condones it. I really appreciate your input.

Edit: I also found out that exec board is talking behind my back to other sisters saying I'm out of line for the email I wrote which just had a list of my concerns about the budget and the treatment of the chapter (Eboard is rude to the chapter and yells at the new members, and gets defensive when someone offers suggestions about how to be a better exec board). They also brought my boyfriend into it who is in a fraternity stating that he is the reason I sent the email and he's a bad influence on me. Because I've never had a problem with Exec board before, I've never told them any concerns, but now that I have concerns I am confronting them about it not sitting back and watching. The fact that they would think my boyfriend who is completely unrelated to the topic has anything to do with my actions really offends me and makes me wonder if my sisters even know me at all.

Last edited by Jp685; 09-12-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-12-2014, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp685 View Post
I'm the social chair for my sorority, so I'm in charge of planning formal. We haven't had socials for over a year and we only have formal once a year. They gave me $1500 as a budget for formal and I figured if I charged $35 for tickets it would cover a really nice formal (usually our formals are crappy). I was told however I wasn't allowed to raise tickets from $30, and now we can't have a sit down dinner only "snacks" like cheese and crackers. I was a little upset because what kind of formal is that? I'm also a senior so I want my last formal to be memorable and not another formal with a bad DJ and bad food. So that's my problem with formal is that they won't let me raise prices or give me more money to make the formal nice.
I recently learned however that the entire Exec board of 6 girls had a retreat in another state using our money from dues that was not authorized by the rest of the chapter. They also admitted they bought monogrammed sweatshirts for themselves only. An advisor from National came down and told them they had to buy something for the chapter to "make up" for the money they used from OUR budget. So they bought us all hair bows with our letters printed on it. Which in my opinion isn't equivalent to a beach retreat or monogrammed sweatshirts.

None of my other sisters like confrontation and most of them aren't even aware their dues money was misused. Some of them have asked to see the budget, but the finance chair still has not honored their request. I am standing up in front of the entire colony next week and confronting Exec board myself for an explanation. I sent them an email telling them my concerns and they got really defensive and gave me attitude. I've never had a problem with any of my sisters and I've always been very reasonable. However the way Exec board treated me when I was looking for answers was incredibly uncalled for and unprofessional. It's so bad that if the meeting next week does not go as planned and they do not give us an explanation or change their spending I'm considering disaffiliation. All I ask is that they share the budget with the members of the chapter and we vote on how the money is used. Am I wrong for thinking that the budget shouldn't be used for a select few of the board members without the knowledge of the rest of the chapter? Because the members of the board seem to think that they have done nothing wrong, and that really bothers me. I am on the exec board of an honor society and we always get input from the rest of the group before we make any decisions. I think that's how it should be. I really feel uncomfortable being in a chapter where things are happening behind closed doors without my knowledge and with MY money.

But anyway the Exec board is really unhappy with me and plans on giving me my disaffiliation papers at the meeting. I doubt my sisters will stand behind me because they're too afraid to confront the group, even though they have told me they don't like the Exec board at all. I just want your opinion about whether or not I'm overreacting. I've been in the chapter for over a year and have made such close friends, and disaffiliation would be sad for me, but I can't stay in the group if this is how they are going to continue to operate, especially if the advisor from Nationals condones it. I really appreciate your input.

Edit: I also found out that exec board is talking behind my back to other sisters saying I'm out of line for the email I wrote which just had a list of my concerns about the budget and the treatment of the chapter (Eboard is rude to the chapter and yells at the new members, and gets defensive when someone offers suggestions about how to be a better exec board). They also brought my boyfriend into it who is in a fraternity stating that he is the reason I sent the email and he's a bad influence on me. Because I've never had a problem with Exec board before, I've never told them any concerns, but now that I have concerns I am confronting them about it not sitting back and watching. The fact that they would think my boyfriend who is completely unrelated to the topic has anything to do with my actions really offends me and makes me wonder if my sisters even know me at all.
GC is not the place for these types of issues.

Who is your chapter advisor? Is there a HQ liaison such as a Leadership Consultant (known by various terms depending on which sorority) on campus with you? Those are your channels of command and should definitely be aware any any happenings in the chapter of this type of nature.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 09-12-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Do they have the power to make you disaffiliate for a reason like that? I admit I know nothing about how an executive committee works. This seems like a trivial reason to me.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
GC is not the place for these types of issues.

Who is your chapter advisor? Is there a HQ liaison such as a Leadership Consultant (known by various terms depending on which sorority) on campus with you? Those are your channels of command and should definitely be aware any any happenings in the chapter of this type of nature.
I have no idea. I could contact Nationals directly and go over Exec board's head but then they'd just hate me more. I guess if the meeting next week doesn't give answers then I will contact Nationals.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with tinydancer. I have not heard of an executive board being able to disaffiliate someone like that. Those decisions are not done lightly and usually require consultation with your chapter advisors and your National offices. There must be something more to this story. Remember, your membership in your organization is for life. Your collegiate years are a small portion.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
Do they have the power to make you disaffiliate for a reason like that? I admit I know nothing about how an executive committee works. This seems like a trivial reason to me.
I'm unaware of any NPC group that can terminate membership with only the chapter's vote, rather than approval from MUCH higher up in the food chain.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
I told them I threatened to disaffiliate if the problems were not resolved, that's why they're bringing the papers. They didn't really give a second thought to me disaffiliating, since they said they'd have the papers ready for me and anyone else who wished to disaffiliate (6 other girls want to leave as well). It just makes me wonder how much they actually care about the chapter as a whole, if they don't care if we leave. I got us 2 socials lined up for the first time in over a year and have been working with the Director of Greek Life to get our reputation better on campus. But I guess my efforts aren't valued.
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
You're a senior and haven't taken the time to find out what the proper avenues are?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
You're a senior and haven't taken the time to find out what the proper avenues are?
I have the Avenues manual and I've read it but it doesn't help me.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

When sending an email such as you did, in any way questioning the ethics of your executive board, you should always send a copy to your advisors.

It may not be too late, however, if you send a copy to your advisors now. Let them know why you're sending it, also.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
When sending an email such as you did, in any way questioning the ethics of your executive board, you should always send a copy to your advisors.

It may not be too late, however, if you send a copy to your advisors now. Let them know why you're sending it, also.
I sent a copy to my advisors and gave them the back story. They never responded to me.

They only sent a group message to me and Exec board saying the issues would be addressed at the exec board meeting...a meeting I'm not allowed to attend.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I sent a copy to my advisors and gave them the back story. They never responded to me.

They only sent a group message to me and Exec board saying the issues would be addressed at the exec board meeting...a meeting I'm not allowed to attend.
Then, go up a level, to the district or state advisory level. I don't know about every sorority, but I can't imagine that you would not be permitted to defend yourself. Even a Standard Committee would allow you that privilege.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Get of Greekchat. Now.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 09-12-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I know who you are. Your email to the chapter was inappropriate. The budget has been sent to the chapter. Throwing a fit because you don't get what you want is unprofessional and childish. The budget has a lot of over site by people other than Exec. I suggest you sit down, accept the will of the chapter and stop making trouble where none is needed. I will be forwarding your post to your adviser.
My email wasn't inappropriate. I don't know anyone is AOPi so I do not think I am who you think I am. My email was professional. But you may very well forward this post if you please. I'm still meeting with the exec board next week because there are problems in the chapter that need to be addressed.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My email wasn't inappropriate. I don't know anyone is AOPi so I do not think I am who you think I am. My email was professional. But you may very well forward this post if you please. I'm still meeting with the exec board next week because there are problems in the chapter that need to be addressed.
Wow.

I'm outta here. Leaving this to AOII Angel.
Closed Thread