GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,530
0 members and 1,530 guests
No Members online

Old 06-07-2007, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to alphagamphi
Phi Retro Recruitment

Okay Im new to greek chat. I went though rush at Oregon State in 1997 and loved every minite of my time in the sorority.

I grew up in Southern California and now live back in California . I was ready to move back. I followed my best friend to school out of state. At the time we had recruitment before school started. I had been on swim teams for as many years as I could and was walking onto Oregon State's swim team. I had another friend from a rival high school that went on to swim there.

At the time in 1997 these were the sororities

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Phi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Delta Delta Delta
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa

There were 12 sororities and 4 rounds of recruitment over four days.

Here are the code names

Beaver
Panda
Kangaroo
Monkey
Lion
White Tiger
Wild Cat
Horse
Cheetah
Squireel
Dolphin
Bear

I hope you all enjoy my story as I tell it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Although I enjoy reading all the recruitment threads, I especially like the ones that have Alpha Gam chapters involved.

(Even better when I know that the poster actually went Alpha Gam )
Old 06-08-2007, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

What? No penguin? snap, alright monkey and beaver it is.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

oh u want a happy feet penguin. sorry. I did not think about them when i was randomlly naming them.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

We meet with our Rho Chi’s and we were assigned groups based on our last names and we meet our rho chi’s . I feel that I am out by saying rho chi's when they were recruitment counslor. They were so nice they gave us each a candy necklace My mom and my two older sisters were both greek but I thought I wouldn’t fit in with a house I defeinitly would not off at there aluma matter. I had references at most of the houses by the time I left for college.

The first house Iwent to was Bear This house was off sorority row. I was introduced to this women Rory who was totally this gourgous brunette and we had this amazing conversation with her and felt like I connected. I thought before I went into rush this was the blonde house but my preconceptions were wrong. Then I talked to two other girls who were cool but not as cool as her but I managed to have good conversations with them. Then I talked to some girl whom was from that area and also played sports and we ended up talking about all the interrmural championships that this house had one. I was surprised by the signing as we left this house.

Then I went to White tiger.. I had wanted to go see this house because my best friend whom was a year older then me Jordan was a member of this house. Then I talked to this girl Jessica whom I totally loved and played on their softball team. We then talked about both being from out of state and the love we have for the outdoors and my experience. They were also signing it was so cute. Then Jordan came up to me on the way out and said she was excited to see me. I was super impressed by this.

Then I went to Horse.I talked to this girl Katie whom I had meet a couple days ago when I was talking to the girl whom was on the swim team. I thought this was someone whom I could be friends with. We ended up just talking about our competions and state. We had a totally amazing coverstation and we found out we went to rival high schools and grew up one town apart from each other. They showed me how much they loved their house. I was also intrroduced to two other girls.

Then I went to Kangaroo. I really wanted to like this house because this my mom’s house when she went to school at a different university. I meet this girl Kaylene whom seemed to be this nerd from Idaho. I thought anyone from there was bad but slowly as we talked we started talking about something everyone was surprised I liked. I thought I would be lost without the surfing and she had done that. She wanted me to teach her which I though was cool. Later on I had a class with her that semester and we became friends.

Then I went to dolphin.My best friend had told me that they were stuck up before rush. I went in with ideas that were not true and luckily they changed as soon as i got itno the house. I talked to this girl Elle totally loved her she was hyper just like me. I just found her intriguing and this was the best converstation of the day. She told me of all the activities that she was in and I just was like wow someone has time for all of that. She had my major which I ended up changing. We ended up talking about kids. I felt so connected to her. I did not want to leave this house when the 15 minites were up.

Then I went to beaver.I had heard this was the top house. I talked with Jennie. She was mellow and I wanted someone that was excited. I could tell that she loved her sisters but she was a senior and wanted me to get the right impression. But then I meet Claire and we hit it off when we were talking concert and movies that we had gone too. It just felt more natural. All the girls were so skinny in this house. I wondered if I would fit in but I was going to give it a chance.

Then I went to Panda I talked with Ness there.I was getting tired. But she threw a pillow at me and that made me laugh. The girls were rowdy and full of energy it was so much fun. I loved Ness she seemed like a girl that I could see myself. I thought she was full of energy which I loved. I totally loved this house. She was from the big city and I thought that I connected with her.

Then I went to Cheetah. I talked to Crystal. She seemed disinterested but this was my sister house at her school and she told me to go with my heart. I felt disinterested because other houses were so much better then this. This was definitely a house I didn’t think I belonged at. I was glad to leave.

Then I went to Lion. I had heard this house took a lot of girls during informal recruitnment and my roommate in t he dorms joined this house that way. I loved this house from the minite I went into it. The girl Kelsie seemed to be just like me and really ausome girl. We had this fantastic conversation. I felt like I could be myself here> I wanted to go back

Then I went to squirrel. I was so excited to see this house. Then I got paird with Asheligh. Gosh I loved here I ended up seeing here a lot later on. We could talk about anything and everything and some of the hardest questions I got in round one. These girls just reminded me of me so much. I felt so ausome it didn’t matter to much that I wasn’t from Oregon anymore intill me and Ashleigh began talking about beaches my favorite place is the water and when I swam with a dolphin the summer before at Sea World.

Then I went to Monkey.I then talked to Cassie and just felt like I never really connected with her. It was like the end of the day but I don’t think that mattered as much.I felt as I had to push the conversation. I tried to give it a chance but I finally realized that it was not me. I didn’t feel like I could fit in there.

Finally I went to the last house of the day wildcat. This house ended up leaving campus I believe my sophomore year and I talked to Anne whom was nice. The girls were all super nice. The conversation felt good.

I ranked the house as

Squirrel
Bear
White Tiger
Dolphin
Lion
Beavers
Horse
Cheetah
Kangaroo
Wild Cat
Panda
Monkey

I was definitly ready for the day to be over...seeing all 12 houses was quite amazing and tons of information to take in and definitly some I felt better with.

Last edited by alphagamphi; 06-18-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

i think that it is neat that you clicked with so many of the chapters. i can't wait to hear more!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay Im not sure anybody is reading this or even enjoying it but I guess I will contine. The cuts didnt make me mad this round as they did in the next two rounds.

I was elimanted from ALpha Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, Chi Omega and Pi Beta Phi. I was excited to have 8 or 9 possible invites back. This made me feel really good like I was on cloud 9. This was house tour day so I was excited because we were required to live in the house as a sophomore and junior.

The first house that I went to was dolphin. I meet with this women Sarah. She showed me a six person room called the zoo because it could have the most women live in it. Then they made their theme a mountain and they did a country dance and singing to it later. Sarah was a pre pharmacy major and I wasnt sure that I would fit in being an education major but then the girl Elle I talked to came up and said hi and oh we talked again and I found out she was a psychology major. I was thinking that this house had diversity. It was something that I wanted from a house and not to have everyone be the same.

Then I went to squireel. I thought this would be my house after round 1. Then I was paired with Allie and them signing to Grease was totally ausome especially with all the seniors in this skit. It was so cute. But insted of grease it was Squireel. I found this so adorable. All the houses were set up to have themes of grease and pieces of candies and water in the rooms. And When I was going on the tour with Sarah I ran into Ashleigh from round 1 and she said She was glad to see me back and Allie seemed just as ausome as her. She was down to earth and this is a house I could totally see myself in.

Then I went to Panda This was a house that I was not excited to be going back to. I had decided to give it a chance. I talked with Leila whom I had a better feeling about then the girl that I did in the first round. The house was so cute and done in a boutique like a place that we would want to buy. They did some cute shopping skit and it was id rather be shopping with Panda's. Oh it made me laugh. I had such a great time. I walked away totally amazed by this hosue. It had changed my opinon on the house. It made it move up.

Then I went t horse. I meet a girl Noelle whom was in the band and the total opposite of me. AN engineering major. But I kept reminding myself that Katie, whom later became a good friend of mine, was lots of diversity. I just felt like their was no connection here and I wanted to love this house. Was I trying to hard for the girl that i thought was amazing? They did a fashion show of how the horses dress it was cute. I just could not quite picture myself in this house. Was I doing something wrong?

Then i went to white tiger. I was rushed by my best friend from home Jordan. I was kinda disappointed that I did not get to meet anyone else but someone whom I was friends with. I knew she had this beach them that i felt connected to. I knew she wanted me to join white tiger. She talked about how great it was especially all the work over the summer. The theme reminded me I was back home but hey i was in Oregon now.

Then I went to Bear. I was paird with Courtney here. So was so excited to show me the house where all the rooms were about different places to visit. It was fun. I thought that was cool! Then we went to see a skit in Oregon and Black showing their spirit for OSU. I was excited to see this house

Then I went to beavers I was excited to go back and I got there the presidents wife had come by dinner a few nights before and found out a lot of girls were education majros like what I had planned to be when I first went to college. They did a Saturday Night live mock. It was so funny. I liked Elisabeth and I felt connected to her but as much as some others. We had an okay conversation but not totally great.

Then I went to Kangaroo I was excited to go back to this house. They had a cute Tiffany's theme house all blue tiffany. It was so adorable. I meet this girl Brynn whom was a cheerleader with lots of energy. I was totally exhausted by the time I got to Kangaroo. But I loved the excitment all t he girls had for Kangaroo.

At the end of the day I reanked them

Panda
Kangaroo
Squireel
Bears
Dolphin
Beavers
White Tiger
Horse

Last edited by alphagamphi; 06-18-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I am reading, and I am intersted. Keep posting!

-

"My Crown is in my heart, not on my head;" ~King HenryVI, Shakespere~
Old 06-12-2007, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the update - I'm enjoying reading your thread! It's interesting how Panda moved to the top of your list.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm enjoying your thread very much! Please Continue.....................
Old 06-12-2007, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

loving it already though I was sad you got cut by your legacy house
Old 06-12-2007, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I'm pretty sure I know who Squirrel is just from some things you said, but the rest...I'm clueless! Keep going! Great job!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

You said Kangaroo is your legacy chapter, but you said you were cut by your legacy chapter. What gives?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessSigKap View Post
You said Kangaroo is your legacy chapter, but you said you were cut by your legacy chapter. What gives?
If I read this right, Cheetah is also a legacy chapter, but it doesn't sound like she was superinterested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamphi View Post
Then I went to Cheetah. I talked to Crystal. She seemed disinterested but this was my sister house at her school and she told me to go with my heart. I felt disinterested because other houses were so much better then this. This was definitely a house I didn’t think I belonged at. I was glad to leave.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

It still doesn't make sense because:
1. Kangaroo=mom's sorority, which she likes
2. Cheetah=sister's sorority, which she did not like
3. She said she was cut from Pi Beta Phi
4. She says Pi Beta Phi was a legacy chapter that she was interested in

But:
1. Pi Beta Phi can not be kangaroo because she returns for round 2
2. Pi Beta Phi can not be cheetah because her description in round 1 doesn't match the "I wanted to be a part of it" description of Pi Phi.

I am still confused unless there is another legacy chapter that I missed.