GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,340
1 members and 1,339 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 08-28-2016, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

retro rush questions

ok, this is a retro rush question story....a friend told me a story and I couldn't answer Her sister rushed at a SEC school for formal rush and had recs and was a double legacy.

She made it thru 2nd round and then nothing.

She eventually pledged a house during informal rush.

A sister told her that many were cut during that formal rush due to the new computers used to issue invitations.

So, this explanation made her feel better.

Does anyone know if this happened when computers came onto campuses?
(current sisters please don't laugh these days did used to exist)
Old 08-28-2016, 09:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that "it's the computer's fault" is the sorority rush equivalent to "the dog ate my homework. "

Any actual computer errors are probably due to things like 2 people with the same name or human error during input.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzelle View Post
ok, this is a retro rush question story....a friend told me a story and I couldn't answer Her sister rushed at a SEC school for formal rush and had recs and was a double legacy.

She made it thru 2nd round and then nothing.

She eventually pledged a house during informal rush.

A sister told her that many were cut during that formal rush due to the new computers used to issue invitations.

So, this explanation made her feel better.

Does anyone know if this happened when computers came onto campuses?
(current sisters please don't laugh these days did used to exist)
This is largely a myth.

ICS/CampusDirector doesn't magically glitch and cut women, nor did it back then. I was active in the early ICS era.

There were some people who got cut really on due to the new RFM at that time, and they blamed it on a glitch in the system because that's easier than to admit that you were cut by XYZ.

Ex: If I got cut by Sigma, it's easier for me to just lie and say "I would have gotten a bid but ICS erased my invite."

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:24 PM

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Also, on the off-chance there was a mistake and someone didn't show up on a list when they should have, the sororities were definitely telling Panhellenic ASAP so the mistake could be rectified. [/COLOR]

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
At Long Beach, it was common practice to let every chapter know if a girl was a legacy to any particular GLO.

My senior year, we had an in-house SK legacy go through (daughter of one of our advisers) and the daughter of a GPhiB adviser go through. We ended up with the GPhiB legacy and our in-house legacy went DZ.

We didn't go in thinking we were going to steal the legacy from another chapter but we didn't discourage them either from coming to our side.
Fall of 1983 recruitment at CSULB had at least 6 chapter legacies going through rush and 3 of them were for my DG chapter. Two were sibling legacies but my sister was a double legacy and our mother was a charter member of the chapter. All of the houses knew about the unusual number of legacies that year and were ready to do their best to recruit them to another chapter! In the end all of the legacies ended up pledging their legacy house. (However part of this rush story needs to be placed in the thread for "weird recruitment stories!"
Old 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

At UCLA, listing your legacy chapters is part of the registration form. (I think it's at all the UC schools.) But I know that some PNMs do NOT list their legacy status so it won't impact them in a negative way. (ie "She keeps going back to her legacy chapter, so let's cut our losses and concentrate on the PNMs that we are sure like our chapter.") This way, only her legacy chapters know that she's a legacy and the other chapters have a more open mind.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

A couple of years ago at the U of Alabama, Panhel decided to block the legacy info on the forms. The legacy chapter can see the info, but no other sorority can.
Of course, you still get a lot of that info from recommendations, so you know about those.
Normally blaming it on computer glitches is just a bunch of smoke. But it does occasionally happen.

There's always somebody else to blame, though. Like the girl who blamed our alumnae panhellenic because she was told her favorite top-tier chapter dropped her because they didn't get a rec on her.
Never mind that the alumnae panhellenic does not send recs, just hands them to the local sorority rep, and cannot recommend anybody to any sorority. Never mind that it was the local alum who didn't send a rec (or chose not to). It was still our fault.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Must... Quit... Reading... Cookbooks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
We didn't go in thinking we were going to steal the legacy from another chapter but we didn't discourage them either from coming to our side.
That was our feeling, too. I can think of two women in my chapter who went on to be outstanding sisters, one of whom was a Tri-Delta in-house legacy, the other Tri-Sigma.

And of course, there were ADPi legacies who chose another house, too. Right, KillarneyRose?!?!?!
Old 08-31-2016, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Must... Quit... Reading... Cookbooks!
Yes. I thought, "Do you serve them on toast?"

Last edited by honeychile; 09-01-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

One I remember distinctly from my senior year - our president's older sister had been in our chapter, and so her younger sister came through recruitment as a double in-house legacy.

Poor younger sister had been cut by all other 14 chapters by the third of four rounds. It was confirmed from two other chapters she was dropped because the other chapters knew her older sister was our president, and no one wanted to steal the president's little sister. We (especially pres) felt really guilty this happened to YS, a bubbly smart girl who would have thrived anywhere, but YS didn't get the chance to choose at all where she went. She went on to be a wonderful active, and just went alum

To be honest, we also sort of cheated out of earning our double-legacy - where's the win when they "let" you win?!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Original Poster: Can you confirm the question is about an NPC sorority? NIC, NPHC and other groups would likely give very different answers...