GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,338
3 members and 2,335 guests
Cookiez17, PrettyBoy, zluspitt7200

Old 11-10-2005, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AxiDwcu
Greek Abroad

Just wanted to say hello to everyone!
I am apart of Alpha XI delta at WCU and was really looking forward to seeing what Alpha Xi deltas and greek life is like outside of West chester!
Also- I wanted to know if any one had any tips on how they handled being abroad while in a sorority or fraternity. I was told is better not wear letters and such? Any ideas?

Last edited by AxiDwcu; 11-10-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-2005, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

You were told not to wear letters???????

WHY?

That's a little ridiculous.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah. they said that american things like sororities and fraternity letters will target you to have money stolen and ect.
Kinda weird.
But it's some of the guidelines i was given.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AxiDwcu
yeah. they said that american things like sororities and fraternity letters will target you to have money stolen and ect.
Kinda weird.
But it's some of the guidelines i was given.
yeah that makes sense with all the anti-american sentiment overseas. wow that sucks major...i guess i forgot that greek life is really an american thing.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I wore my letters all over Australia, New Zealand, and Malaysia. Never once did I have a problem.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it really depends where it is you are going. To be quite honest, I never once wore my letters when I was abroad, not because I wasn't proud, but because I didn't want to be a target for anti american sentiment. As it is, Americans are rather easy to spot while abroad and I thought it best to try and mix in the best I could.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah...

yeah i will be in ireland for five months.. so i just think i might have my letters in my room.. maybe break them out for my birthday or something? Its so dumb that they dont accept it.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

duh..dumb advice

the dummy who told you not to wear your letters abroad is just
that...a dummy.
I was in Europe, England, Ireland, and I wore my masonic and
my TKE regalia. It helped me meet some of the finest people. I
took sensible precautions about being robbed or pick-pocketed.
Why should you cave in to such stupid suggestions? Wear your
greek letters with pride!
Sure, in Mexico we were told not to wear our masonic jewelry and
Shriner fez, as the county is anti-masonic...out of step even with
the catholic church today....duh...but I did heed that advice.
Wear your greek letters with pride! Do not shrink on this...
You will be telling the world you are proud of your affiliation. And
you should be.
Wear your greek letters with pride!
Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Ireland may be a little different then visiting other countries in terms of anti-american sentiment. regardless of what they may think of the war they have a pretty good relationship with americans because a) tourism is their biggest industry and a lot if not most is americans and b) they have a lot of connection with America through irish emmigration. i wouldn't be so concerned over there in particular.

and a bit of sidetrack: and since when isn't the catholic church anti-mason. i know they don't focus on it now but i don't think they have ever changed their stance that catholics shouldn't join (though they are allowed by masons to join). i think the current pope condemned membership when he was a cardinal.

Last edited by AEPhiSierra; 11-11-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Re: duh..dumb advice

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik P Conard
the dummy who told you not to wear your letters abroad is just
that...a dummy.
I was in Europe, England, Ireland, and I wore my masonic and
my TKE regalia. It helped me meet some of the finest people. I
took sensible precautions about being robbed or pick-pocketed.
Why should you cave in to such stupid suggestions? Wear your
greek letters with pride!
Sure, in Mexico we were told not to wear our masonic jewelry and
Shriner fez, as the county is anti-masonic...out of step even with
the catholic church today....duh...but I did heed that advice.
Wear your greek letters with pride! Do not shrink on this...
You will be telling the world you are proud of your affiliation. And
you should be.
Wear your greek letters with pride!
How long ago was this?

Like everyone else, I think it depends on where you are. I wore mine in Sicily... none of them knew what it was. But they loved us (all of Sicilian heritage... we were there on a government sponsor) and we never had problems. The peopel there are too happy to give foreigners problems! Plus if they had a problem they'd just make fun of them. All lovers, no fighters.

KLTC
Old 11-11-2005, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: yeah...

Quote:
Originally posted by AxiDwcu
yeah i will be in ireland for five months.. so i just think i might have my letters in my room.. maybe break them out for my birthday or something? Its so dumb that they dont accept it.
How is it dumb? It's a different lifestyle in most countries than it is here, that's all. The exchange program probably told you so they could cover their collective asses and probably because students may have had problems in the past. However, in Ireland you would have less of a problem anyway as AEPhi Sierra said. I've not had problems in Ireland for the fact that they are friendly. Wearing letters shouldn't be a problem there. I've yet to experience any unfriendliness in Ireland.

I pesonally chose not to wear letters because in the country where I studied and from what I have noticed in Europe in general young women tend to dress up a bit more than women who go to colleges in the States. Then again I have also seen people who go to class in pajamas...something I wouldn't choose to do. Maybe bring a set of your letters or two, see how people there dress and decide for yourself while you are there.

Sidnote:To imply that one is not proud of their organization because one doesn't wear their letters abroad is ludicrous. I would rather uphold the values of my organization in my acts and deeds than wear letters emblazoned across a sweatshirt. I'd also rather wear a badge or a lavalier. It may not be a stupid suggestion to not wear letters, just a precaution to people who haven't experienced life elsewhere.

Last edited by AOII_LB93; 11-11-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah.. its jsut such a weird situation to me. Five months seems liek such a long time i dont want to mess anything up
Old 11-11-2005, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

You are putting WAY too much thought into this. Wear what you want, in terms of your sorority letters. Very few Americans can actually pass (at first glance) as Europeans, the letters will not be the only thing that would mark you as an American. We have completely different mannerisms, we hold ourselves different and then of course the moment we open our mouths it is glaringly obvious we are from this side of the Atlantic.

Ireland is not Northern Iraq. The people are beyond friendly, and while the guys do tend to be short, there are worse problems in the world. You are probably attending an Irish university where they are more than used to American students. Go have fun, see Ireland and make some Irish friends so you can immerse yourself (perhaps even go home with them for a holiday). Ireland is a gorgeous and amazing place.

The only thing I wouldn't do is geting into the Irish Catholic-Protestant debate.

Have fun, and don't just hang out with Americans. Your chapter will be there when you get back!!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Americans stand out like sore thumbs anyway when You are in a Foriegn Country.

We are a lot cleaner for sure! Many still take weekend Bathes and or Monthly Bathes.

If You wear Your Letters and they think You as a Greek have $$$$, they really are idiots!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-12-2005, 05:56 AM
GreekChat Member

It's very hard to blend in with another culture, like everyone else has said. We took our letter shirts with us when we went travelling and tooks pics of ourselves at every big spot you could think of in Australia in our letters. They made for some awesome pictures.

ETA: Be prepared for a lot of questions and puzzled looks, though. I got asked what the heck the letters meant a million times, and I was also asked if I was easy (!!!!!!) since the only exposure they have to Greek life (if any) is movies. I also had a few of my housemates try to tell me "the secrets" because they thought it was cool and they'd never tell.... hahaha. Definitely kept my mouth shut.