GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,776
0 members and 1,776 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
That is pretty much what I thought from the little that I have seen on this site today. I am not sure she is really interested enough to do all that work that is required for the SEC school sororities. Networking would be especially challenging because of the distance we are from these schools. So it looks like perhaps she can seek out other activities such as those offered through the honors programs/ dorms, dance team, and or performance related activities associated with a dance minor. Although I think she might just do a little research and then try to wing it at rush time. If she is not willing to put alot into it I think it is safe to say she probably would not be overly disappointed if she didn't get in. However it is good to have this info and it will, I am sure, help narrow down the college choices.
So you think that your gifted, brilliant daughter, who you've said will be spending a lot of time learning and doing RESEARCH as part of her major, someone who dances competitively and likely has to practice for hours and hours, is going into something as complex as SEC sorority recruitment with just "a little research" and then "try to wing it"??

That just doesn't add up.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

More, and more, this just reeks of troll.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM

1. If your daughter is going to be involved in dance team to the detriment of all else (to the point that she may "major" in dance) she shouldn't rush.

2. If she is attending any school listed in this thread and you have the knowledge that you have now (i.e. it doesn't matter what it says on the school's website, you need to have recs to have optimum success in recruitment unless you are super lucky or Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and she is unwilling to put in the prep time to get recs and just wants to "wing it," she shouldn't rush.

3. If she dislikes being in the company of people who don't have her same interests and same IQ, she shouldn't rush.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

3. If she dislikes being in the company of people who don't have her same interests and same IQ, she shouldn't rush.
or go to college, or have a job, or mix with the general population in any way.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I need to clarify. I said that I think she might do a little research. I was in a hurry when I wrote this. I tend to be a planner- so I will make sure my dd knows what she needs to do to prepare. I think we will get a few recs and do some research... perhaps not as much as what some people here put into it. I just don't see us pursuing a rec for every Greek sorority on campus. While that would be very thorough, I don't see us going that route. Also of note is that meeting sorority members and establishing connections would be very difficult due to distance issues. Therefore, this is not something that I feel we should beat ourselves up about and we will not be brainstorming or researching for ways to meet current members at the schools she is interested in. Although I think preparation is good, I also believe that God has a path for each of us.

BTW- I shared some of the positive advice I received here and dd does seem interested in following through. It does involve some work and preparation and she basically said she is willing to do that. So, I am on board with that if that is what she wants to do. I would never in a million years be interested in joining a sorority for myself- but I will certainly support that path if that is what interests my daughter. My mother and grandmother were members of a sorority, so perhaps she can carry on their tradition.

Last edited by JLCo; 01-26-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

While I understand why you may not want to do all the labor before recruitment, I think it may be something to think over. Re-dos in SEC sorority recruitment are very, very uncommon. Without recs at many of the SEC schools, you are stacking the deck against you. This isn't something your daughter can decide on after recruitment. If your daughter emails her teachers, dance teachers/coaches, family friends, old babysitters etc, it is amazing how many sorority women one knows. There are a ton of panhellenic alumnae chapters throughout the US. Legacy status (aka your mother's sorority) will not matter at many SEC schools because there are a ridiculous amount of legacies going through. Why not try to put her best foot forward if this is something she wants to do?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 01-26-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also of note is that meeting sorority members and establishing connections would be very difficult due to distance issues. Therefore, this is not something that I feel we should beat ourselves up about and we will not be brainstorming or researching for ways to meet current members at the schools she is interested in.
One does not always get Recs from current sisters at the college your daughter may attend. I mean, you CAN, if you know those sisters really well and their organization allows that kind of thing. (Not all sororities function the same when it comes to who can write Recs. Some are alumnae only, some are alumnae or active collegiate sister at a different school, etc). However, it is absolutely not necessary to meet current sisters at the college she chooses to go to in order to get Recs. Have your daughter talk to her teachers, parents of friends, friends from church, friends who graduated a few years ago, etc. This is how one gets Recs. Network within your OWN community. Not the community in Tuscaloosa (or where ever). There are also Alumnae Panhellenic organizations all over the country that have members who are happy to write Recs for girls in their geographical area. So if your daughter has a teacher who was an AwesomeAlpha at Iowa University, she can write a Rec for your daughter for the AwesomeAlpha chapter at SEC U. If her grandmother is still around, SHE can write a rec for her sorority for the chapter at the school your daughter goes to, even if Grandma didn't go to school there.

You CAN do this. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I just don't see us pursuing a rec for every Greek sorority on campus. While that would be very thorough, I don't see us going that route.
If you're not going to try to get a rec for everyone (or worse yet, if she or you have already chosen groups that you think would be "suitable" and don't want to bother with the rest) then she shouldn't waste time going through rush.

Ditto if whatever school she's attending has a Panhellenic preview weekend (the majority of schools do not do this, and it can be an enormous help to a rushee) and she isn't planning on attending it. If she was going to a small school with a small Greek community, she could probably half-ass it and turn out fine. However, that isn't the case at a "large university" especially an SEC university.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I think we've all said enough. If OP's daughter is as thorough and diligent as she says, and I suspect she is, the daughter will do all the research she needs to do and act accordingly. A gifted student who wants to be a doctor and dances competitively is Type A enough to get all her recs.

I think we're misreading the situation. Mom doesn't care if daughter goes Greek or not; daughter is interested. Mom just came on here to see if girls like her daughter tend to join sororities and have successful college experiences. I think we've satisfied her that it is possible, armed her with some info and warnings on the competitiveness of SEC recruitment and can let it go. We're not going to force people to get recs if they don't plan to take it seriously.

There's plenty of info on how to secure recs floating around on GC. Daughter seems bright and will figure it out if she wants to.

I don't think mom is trolling. I think she's a typical parent.

ETA: I just reread this and I sound like Tom Earp. Transitions between paragraphs would be nice...
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
ETA: I just reread this and I sound like Tom Earp. Transitions between paragraphs would be nice...
Nah.. not even close. Your writing made sense.

Besides, you forgot all the smilies and the abortive syntax and the !!!!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, she put me off when she referred to her daughter as "dd."
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think I need to clarify. I said that I think she might do a little research. I was in a hurry when I wrote this. I tend to be a planner- so I will make sure my dd knows what she needs to do to prepare. I think we will get a few recs and do some research... perhaps not as much as what some people here put into it. I just don't see us pursuing a rec for every Greek sorority on campus. While that would be very thorough, I don't see us going that route. Also of note is that meeting sorority members and establishing connections would be very difficult due to distance issues. Therefore, this is not something that I feel we should beat ourselves up about and we will not be brainstorming or researching for ways to meet current members at the schools she is interested in. Although I think preparation is good, I also believe that God has a path for each of us.

BTW- I shared some of the positive advice I received here and dd does seem interested in following through. It does involve some work and preparation and she basically said she is willing to do that. So, I am on board with that if that is what she wants to do. I would never in a million years be interested in joining a sorority for myself- but I will certainly support that path if that is what interests my daughter. My mother and grandmother were members of a sorority, so perhaps she can carry on their tradition.
I'm sure you meant that you AND your daughter will make sure she knows what she needs to do in order to prepare. Part of the fun is planning/preparing for recruitment. It's important she be part of the process.

And you do not have to contact members of the school she wished to attend. As many have already mentioned, for recommendations, you can reach out to those in your own community. There are some great threads on this board on how to secure rec's. This is why it is important to do ALL your research, not just a "little". It will resolve any "issues" you think you have (i.e. distance issues) that aren't even an issue to begin with!

In the end, if you daughter is truly interested, she will want to take an active part in researching, securing rec's, and be truly prepared for recruitment. If she isn't, her participation (or lack thereof) in the process will be evident come recruitment time when she is surrounded by other PNM's who are prepared.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't help with SEC recruitment, but I noticed that you (OP) mentioned being from the Midwest. Is the University of Michigan on your radar at all? They are often more generous with scholarships for OOS applicants--one of my sisters had a full ride (and possibly a stipend), and she's from Ohio. Also, we have a thriving but not cutthroat Greek system and a highly ranked dance team (I knew a couple girls who were involved in both), and of course, the academics are almost unmatched, no matter what major she ends up choosing. It might be worth her while to look at U of M or a couple of other schools outside the SEC!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

The difference between these two paragraphs is amazing.

Keep in mind that your daughter will now be going off to college, and many things will no longer be "us" and "we". She needs to make her own decisions. Don't be surprised if she counts on you less, shares less with you, and doesn't talk to you as much as she used to once she leaves for school. I understand that you're trying to help, but you also need to let her branch out and succeed or fail on her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi95 View Post
In the end, if you daughter is truly interested, she will want to take an active part in researching, securing rec's, and be truly prepared for recruitment. If she isn't, her participation (or lack thereof) in the process will be evident come recruitment time when she is surrounded by other PNM's who are prepared.
This.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 01-27-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I'm going to answer your question, then, since you are so obsessed with proving to us how "gifted" your daughter is and how she is above anything that isn't "productive" in her eyes.

So, NO, Greek life isn't right for your daughter.

If she is too good to make a scrapbook or learn fun songs or have an ice cream sundae party at midnight during finals week - stuff that any typical sorority might do - then it's not for her. Then again, you might want to let HER decide instead of you spilling her personal information all over the place.
Do sororities really have parties during finals week?