GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,394
0 members and 1,394 guests
No Members online

Old 07-27-2005, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

'Ghetto Talent Show,' Watermelon Eating Contest Outrages Community

'Ghetto Talent Show,' Watermelon Eating Contest Outrages Community

Miami city leaders are apologizing for a news release that invited summer campers to a ''Ghetto Style Talent Show'' and ''Watermelon Eating Contest.''

The release said that children participating in the summer camp who "know the meaning of ghetto style" would have a chance to "prove just how ghetto they are.''

Members of the black community expressed outrage at the wording of the invitation to the talent show. The show will be part of the grand finale picnic for the city's summer camp program to be held Friday at Hadley Park.

After being criticized by residents of the nearby Model City neighborhood and community leaders, Miami Parks Director Ernest Burkeen, who is black, released a formal apology and announced the renaming of the talent show.

Read More Here
Old 07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

so everybody's chagrined over the wording/description of the contest, yet the contest itself, as designed, is still scheduled to go on?
~ Luke 19:10
Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB06
so everybody's chagrined over the wording/description of the contest, yet the contest itself, as designed, is still scheduled to go on?
This reminds me of something a friend of mine use to say....
you can't pour syrup on chit and call it pancakes. LOL
Old 07-27-2005, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

This incident reminds me of my undergraduate years. The IFC and NPC groups organized a date auction to raise money for various charities. For some reason, they couldn't understand why any of the NPHC groups weren't interested in participating in an event that sold humans beings to others.

Everyone has their opinion...i guess (slavery flashback).
Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
This reminds me of something a friend of mine use to say....
you can't pour syrup on chit and call it pancakes. LOL
Good Quote.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ARTIC-U-LATE
This incident reminds me of my undergraduate years. The IFC and NPC groups organized a date auction to raise money for various charities. For some reason, they couldn't understand why any of the NPHC groups weren't interested in participating in an event that sold humans beings to others.

Everyone has their opinion...i guess (slavery flashback).
HAYLE, the NPHC groups at my graduate institution would have the NPC groups sponsor the fraternities in shakin' there thang while for a "date auction" on campus... They would say the proceeds go to a "battered women's shelter"... And got mad at me when I said they need to take that chit off campus, somewhere else... Girls paying for dates... Brothaman shakin' his dang-a-lang while the prices go up... I was hated. But, my afrocentric friends said what would you expect from "those" greeks...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 07-27-2005, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes we do it to ourselves to. On my campus (an HBCU) a BGLO sorority held an auction every year. A person would literally stand on stage while bidding on him/her.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB06
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

they were talkin about this on the way to work.

some hispanic chick was like...."white peole and latinos eat watermelon, too....i don't get it!!"
Old 07-31-2005, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Unsspeakable what can I say....in 2005!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to leebug1219 Send a message via Yahoo to leebug1219
This may just be where I am from, but calling someone Ghetto is not a compliment...Here, ghetto is more of an attitidude that you adapt...and you can be white,black,blue,purple....to be called ghetto is basically to be called uneducated. Its the same as being called redneck. And to be labeled as one it does not matter where you live. Not all people from the "projects" are ghetto, and not all people from the country are "rednecks". It depends on how you present yourself and if when you open your mouth you sound like a moron. Does this make sense? I understand why people were upset by the tagline of showing how ghetto your are, but what I don't understand is why it was only the black community that was upset. And the other thing I don't understand is why people are upset that the contest is still going on... maybe I was not reading it right, but as long as they aren't making it about "how ghetto your are" then what is wrong with a talent show and a watermelon eating contest? To me thats like a pie eating contest....but like I said I could have been reading it wrong....

Elicia
Old 08-05-2005, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leebug1219
This may just be where I am from, but calling someone Ghetto is not a compliment...Here, ghetto is more of an attitidude that you adapt...and you can be white,black,blue,purple....to be called ghetto is basically to be called uneducated. Its the same as being called redneck. And to be labeled as one it does not matter where you live. Not all people from the "projects" are ghetto, and not all people from the country are "rednecks". It depends on how you present yourself and if when you open your mouth you sound like a moron. Does this make sense? I understand why people were upset by the tagline of showing how ghetto your are, but what I don't understand is why it was only the black community that was upset. And the other thing I don't understand is why people are upset that the contest is still going on... maybe I was not reading it right, but as long as they aren't making it about "how ghetto your are" then what is wrong with a talent show and a watermelon eating contest? To me thats like a pie eating contest....but like I said I could have been reading it wrong....

Elicia
You had me until the end of your quote... Blacks in minstrel shows were constantly portrayed as big lipped, big nosed, non educated, black, chicken smackin, WATERMELON eatin, porch monkeys. Hmmmm now ask yourself.... why would a black person NOT be offended by a WATERMELON EATING CONTEST IN A GHETTO TALENT SHOW??
Old 08-05-2005, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to leebug1219 Send a message via Yahoo to leebug1219
Please don't misunderstand me...I understand that people would be angry about being sterotyped. That is why I cand see the outrage at calling it a "ghetto" show. What I was confused about is if they are taking the "ghetto" part out than why is it still so offensive? How I read the article, people were mad at the talent show part...not the watermelon contest. And I guess the part I am struggling with is that there are so many different kinds of food eating contests, why is a watermelon contest so different from a pie eating or a Krystal eating contest? I could see it being extremely offensive if they only let black children participate because that would be feeding into the sterotype. If I offended you with anything I have said, that was not my intention...I have trouble wording some things. I am just trying to understand.
Thanks- Elicia
Old 08-05-2005, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigtau305
Good Quote.
I have an older bruh that I look up to that use to say, "You can't shine a turd....it only smears." This usually came up during voting on interest.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leebug1219
Please don't misunderstand me...I understand that people would be angry about being sterotyped. That is why I cand see the outrage at calling it a "ghetto" show. What I was confused about is if they are taking the "ghetto" part out than why is it still so offensive?
Maybe the difference of opinion stems from the fact that those whose cultural history has been offended and made fun of by such "depictions" in the past, aren't parsing this event as finely as you may be, or as some of the organizers may now be doing after drawing some criticism for it. To many people it's still just an offensive event. It really may be no more complex than that.
~ Luke 19:10