GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,716
1 members and 1,715 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-06-2004, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

How to start a new chapter?

I am considering transferring to another school next year and rushing as a soph. the only thing is they only have 6 sororities and most of them are ones I have never even heard of. I was just curious as to how a new chapter gets started. A friend of my sister's helped start a sorority at her school that she is a legacy of. I am a legacy for the sorority I want to be in too but unfortunatly they don't have a chapter at the school I want to attend. I also know how hard rush can be for a incoming sophomore. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2004, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are interested in starting an NPC Sorority, you should contact your local Panhellenic office or the National Panhellenic Conference.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
You might want to contact the HQ of the sorority that you have in mind. Tell them where you will be transfering. They should be able to provide you with valuable insight.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: How to start a new chapter?

Give the other sororities a chance. Look at the web site of the 6 sororities and learn about their history and values. Next, go online to see if the chapters at your new school have web site.

Go into recruitment with an open mind. I'm sure with 6 groups of diverse women, you will find your niche. If not, there are many great ways to get involved on campus, including starting your own organization, local sorority, etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by texasgirl12345
I am considering transferring to another school next year and rushing as a soph. the only thing is they only have 6 sororities and most of them are ones I have never even heard of. I was just curious as to how a new chapter gets started. A friend of my sister's helped start a sorority at her school that she is a legacy of. I am a legacy for the sorority I want to be in too but unfortunatly they don't have a chapter at the school I want to attend. I also know how hard rush can be for a incoming sophomore. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that the 6 sororities there are great chapters and I would love to be a member of one but I am afraid that I will get cut just b/c I am a sophomore and I won't know anyone b/c I am new. I really wanted to go where they have a chapter of the sorority im a legacy of so I'll have that edge plus I have always wanted to join that particular sorority. But I can't pick a school just based on that you know. Once I decide for sure I am going to that school I will probably rush and if it doesn't work out I will look into the possibility of starting a chapter there.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
I agree with the others about giving the other sororities a chance, however if that doesn't work out, like gphib_95 said contact your university's panhellenic office but you may also look at the Rush at UCSC thread for some tips on how to start one from scratch if thats what you are looking into. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I figured this would be pointed out by some of our more knowledgeable members but since it hasn't I'll take a shot.

In order to start a chapter of an NPC, the campus first has to be open for expansion (a decision made by the local Panhellenic). Then all NPC orgs not there are invited to present and one will ultimately be chosen to come on campus. So it isn't like you would be able to just say "I want to start a chapter of XYZ group".

The campus may not even be up for bringing on another national group.

Now, you could always start a local......
Old 03-07-2004, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
This is a little misleading. For a new chapter to be "invited" to expand onto the college a unanimous(?) vote by NPC has to be made. Then the Sorority would come and recruit a new group, probably after the traditional formal rush period came and went.

The alternate route is recruit a large amount of girls to start a new sorority. You will still need NPC's acceptance but it creates more pressure on them to say yes and makes it more likely that a National Sorority will want to expand there.

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
I figured this would be pointed out by some of our more knowledgeable members but since it hasn't I'll take a shot.

In order to start a chapter of an NPC, the campus first has to be open for expansion (a decision made by the local Panhellenic). Then all NPC orgs not there are invited to present and one will ultimately be chosen to come on campus. So it isn't like you would be able to just say "I want to start a chapter of XYZ group".

The campus may not even be up for bringing on another national group.

Now, you could always start a local......
Old 03-07-2004, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Affiliation by Petition

Another option is to organize a local group of women and then petition to join the sorority of your choice. The particulars of the group vary from national sorority but generally the group of women petitioning must number at least 30, have been established a minimum length of time -generally a year--, go through an interview process etc.

This is taken directly from the Phi Mu website:

Phi Mu is a member of the National Panhellenic Conference, which is an organization of 26 women's international/national sororities. NPC has established some guidelines for expansion on a college campus.

If there are national women's sororities on a campus, a vote of the college Panhellenic must be taken to determine if there is a need for a new group through expansion. A local interest group or local sorority must receive the approval of the college Panhellenic before pursuing affiliation with an NPC group. If there are no women's sororities on campus, it important to know if the university would welcome the addition of women's sororities.

The Extension Committee of the National Panhellenic Conference will assist any campus wishing to add a NPC sorority chapter or establish a Panhellenic system. The Committee also will assist any local sorority wishing to affiliate with Phi Mu or any other NPC member group. Any individual, college Panhellenic or local sorority needing information should contact:

The Extension Committee
National Panhellenic Conference
NPC Central Office
3905 Vincennes Road, Suite 105
Indianapolis, IN 46268
317/872-3185
317/872-3192 FAX
Email: npccntral@npcwomen.org
www.npcwomen.org

How Does Phi Mu Establish a Chapter?
Phi Mu can establish a chapter in two ways: Colonization by membership selection or acceptance of a petition from a qualified group of women. Phi Mu's goal is that each new colony and chapter is a strong, vital and contributing member of its campus community. Phi Mu staff and volunteers provide the support necessary to build a new chapter and sustain and guide the existing ones. Support is given by an advisory council of local alumnae, Chapter Consultants, a Colony Director, other national officers and Executive Office staff. For further information, contact the Phi Mu Executive Office
Old 03-07-2004, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow a story of another transfer student

Hi texasgirl12345!
As a fellow Texan, and person who went through a somewhat similar situation, I just wanted to chime in here, because after I transferred I felt a little bit the same as you do right now.

When I transferred, I was a junior, so I felt a little awkward about going through rush even though I knew it was something I really really wanted to be apart of. I thought none of the groups would want me because I was "old" () or I would completely freak out b/c of all the crazy stressful rush stories I heard on this board. My first university was a very small one, and I didn't know a lot about NPC sororities or even the ones that were on my new campus. I thought I would just try to start up a new one on campus, but it didn't quite work out. So I decided to do what adpiucf and some others have suggested: I went out on a limb and got to know some members of the sororities on my new campus, and lucky for me, I found a place that I can call home I couldn't be any happier than where I am now, and I am sooooooo glad that I listened to everyone who told me to just go out there and get to know the sororities on my campus, because then I wouldn't have a zillion amazing women that are now my Sisters!!!

Like you, I also felt like I would be at a disadvantage b/c when I transferred to my school, I didn't know a single person... but one of the cool things about rush is that you meet SO many people... like your Rho Chis (or whatever they are on your campus), people in your rush groups, and sisters in all the houses.

Whatever you end up deciding to do, I really hope you keep all your options open. You never know what could be waiting for you if you just open your eyes to something you didn't see was right there the whole time.

Last edited by texas*princess; 03-07-2004 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Re: a story of another transfer student

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
Hi texasgirl12345!
As a fellow Texan, and person who went through a somewhat similar situation, I just wanted to chime in here, because after I transferred I felt a little bit the same as you do right now.

When I transferred, I was a junior, so I felt a little awkward about going through rush even though I knew it was something I really really wanted to be apart of. I thought none of the groups would want me because I was "old" () or I would completely freak out b/c of all the crazy stressful rush stories I heard on this board. My first university was a very small one, and I didn't know a lot about NPC sororities or even the ones that were on my new campus. I thought I would just try to start up a new one on campus, but it didn't quite work out. So I decided to do what adpiucf and some others have suggested: I went out on a limb and got to know some members of the sororities on my new campus, and lucky for me, I found a place that I can call home I couldn't be any happier than where I am now, and I am sooooooo glad that I listened to everyone who told me to just go out there and get to know the sororities on my campus, because then I wouldn't have a zillion amazing women that are now my Sisters!!!

Like you, I also felt like I would be at a disadvantage b/c when I transferred to my school, I didn't know a single person... but one of the cool things about rush is that you meet SO many people... like your Rho Chis (or whatever they are on your campus), people in your rush groups, and sisters in all the houses.

Whatever you end up deciding to do, I really hope you keep all your options open. You never know what could be waiting for you if you just open your eyes to something you didn't see was right there the whole time.
But you have to remember that some chapters have hard and fast rules about taking anyone who is further along than freshman/sophomore. Perhaps if you focus more of your energy on organizations that don't have strict rules against sophomore/junior/senior, you'll have a happier time! You can usually get this information from your Greek Life office or Student Affairs.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:29 AM

Re: Affiliation by Petition

Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
Another option is to organize a local group of women and then petition to join the sorority of your choice. The particulars of the group vary from national sorority but generally the group of women petitioning must number at least 30, have been established a minimum length of time -generally a year--, go through an interview process etc.
This is how my chapter got founded. A group of 7 women petitioned the campus Panhellenic to bring a chapter of AEPhi to campus. The request was denied, so the women formed a local sorority instead. Two years later, we again approached Panhel, and at that point they were willing to expand. We were still interested in AEPhi, they were interested in us, and a match was made.

But if I were you, I'd see what your existing options are first. You may find your match among the existing chapters, and besides, being a chapter founder is hard work! Sororities can and do take sophomores, especially if they are transfers. At some schools, there is a separate junior/senior quota, so you're not "competing" with freshmen who have the advantage of having a full 4 years to devote to their collegiate chapter. This won't help you as a soph, but it's something to keep in mind.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Let me also point out that just because you have never heard of a particular sorority, doesn't make it any worse or any better than the ones you HAVE heard of.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Who are these chapters? I am sure everyone on GC could give you a little info on them.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by texasgirl12345
I really wanted to go where they have a chapter of the sorority im a legacy of so I'll have that edge plus I have always wanted to join that particular sorority.
You never know...just because you're a legacy doesn't mean you would get a bid to that particular sorority. Being a legacy may give you a little "edge," depending on the campus, but sometimes there are so many other legacies that it doesn't really matter. Both my older sisters were Chi Omegas, so I grew up thinking I'd be a Chi Omega, too. I even had a little sweatshirt with an owl on it like my sisters had. But when I went through rush, I was disappointed...I liked many of the other chapters way more than I liked Chi O. It just depends on the person and the chapter. Even though I was kinda bummed, though, I gave the other groups a chance and ended up ecstatic when I got my bid to DZ. I'd say try rush and check out the sororities that are already there before you make a decision.