GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,519
1 members and 1,518 guests
gatordeltapgh

Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm both Greek and a Mason. I'm also slightly older then most college students. That being said I think that an organization like the Masons would be a better fit then a Greek fraternity for somebody in your demographics.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're not afraid of possibly being rejected by every fraternity you pursue, then there's no harm in trying.

I'm not going to join the chorus of people offering alternatives, because I'm not really hearing that you really want an alternative, but I think you need to see what it's like for yourself on your own campus.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I am open to alternatives... It was really just an idea.. not something I'm stuck on... I'm going to school first and foremost to get my education and my degree. After reading the websites of fraternities, I think they are rather misleading in that they claim to focus on service and scholarship. however, after reading the responses, it seems that partying and antics seems to be the primary focus, if not the only one. It's highly unlikely that I will pursue this route, and after more research, I have found some great organizations that really do focus on service to the community and welcome people of all ages.

I really appreciate all your input, because I really didn't have a good handle of what is involved in a fraternity and didn't want to judge it based on what I've seen in movies. Thanks again for all your honest and frank responses..it was a big help.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADodger213 View Post
I am open to alternatives... It was really just an idea.. not something I'm stuck on... I'm going to school first and foremost to get my education and my degree. After reading the websites of fraternities, I think they are rather misleading in that they claim to focus on service and scholarship. however, after reading the responses, it seems that partying and antics seems to be the primary focus, if not the only one. It's highly unlikely that I will pursue this route, and after more research, I have found some great organizations that really do focus on service to the community and welcome people of all ages.

I really appreciate all your input, because I really didn't have a good handle of what is involved in a fraternity and didn't want to judge it based on what I've seen in movies. Thanks again for all your honest and frank responses..it was a big help.
The bold is not really correct.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. I hope everything works out for the best.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
After reading the websites of fraternities, I think they are rather misleading in that they claim to focus on service and scholarship. however, after reading the responses, it seems that partying and antics seems to be the primary focus, if not the only one. It's highly unlikely that I will pursue this route, and after more research, I have found some great organizations that really do focus on service to the community and welcome people of all ages.

Word to the wise:

You were an interest who came to Greekchat to type to (mostly older than college age) members of fraternities (and sororities). Refrain from appearing to blow smoke up your own ass since you are the one who came here claiming to be interested in a fraternity. The fraternity was not pursuing you.

It is fine if you have done additional research and have changed your mind. Do not embed your decision in there being something wrong with the fraternities. There are many fraternities with different age ranges and different cultures. Good luck with whatever else you have found.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Word to the wise:

You were an interest who came to Greekchat to type to (mostly older than college age) members of fraternities (and sororities). Refrain from appearing to blow smoke up your own ass since you are the one who came here claiming to be interested in a fraternity. The fraternity was not pursuing you.

It is fine if you have done additional research and have changed your mind. Do not embed your decision in there being something wrong with the fraternities. There are many fraternities with different age ranges and different cultures. Good luck with whatever else you have found.
There is really no need to get nasty, I honestly wasn't trying to be disrespectful, but just responding to the responses on this thread and calling it like i see it. People seem to agree that it isn't a good idea for someone my age to join a fraternity, because of behavior of 18 year olds, how it would "appear" to outside people and that it would be a cold day in hell before I would even be considered because of my age.

That's OK with me.. I was just trying to get a feel for what the atmosphere would be like, and I think I got my answer. However, don't pretend that the prejudices don't exist, because after reading the responses, it's clear that I'm not "embedding"anything.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
I honestly wasn't trying to be disrespectful, but just responding to the responses on this thread and calling it like i see it.
Likewise. Good luck to you.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
As for AI, the only people I see initiated in my group are rabbis. I haven't heard of another fraternal group doing AI however.
Then you really shouldn't be advising someone to do something you know very little about.

It's been said many times before on GC - AI is not a direct alternative to collegiate membership. As an alumnus initiate your fraternity experience is going to be very different than that of someone who joins as an undergraduate.

Quote:
I am open to alternatives... It was really just an idea.. not something I'm stuck on... I'm going to school first and foremost to get my education and my degree. After reading the websites of fraternities, I think they are rather misleading in that they claim to focus on service and scholarship. however, after reading the responses, it seems that partying and antics seems to be the primary focus, if not the only one.

Quote:
It's highly unlikely that I will pursue this route, and after more research, I have found some great organizations that really do focus on service to the community and welcome people of all ages.
This seems like a more productive use of your time.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

There are a million and one reasons other than "partying and antics" that make 18 year olds not want to hang out with pepaw.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM

Everyone pushing the service fraternity, please STFU. That is not what it's for.

Same for the people pushing AI. Again, that's not what it's for.

And just because a chapter is using a certain program (i.e. Balanced Man) does not mean the chapter is really down with it. To assume they will be more "openminded" is folly (and also kind of offensive).

LADodger213 - there will most likely be a campus group for returning and/or nontraditional students at your school. Join at your earliest opportunity. They will be able to give you the "lay of the land" concerning Greek life and campus orgs at YOUR school far better than we can.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Everyone pushing the service fraternity, please STFU.
LOL. This must be GC's holiday theme.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Everyone pushing the service fraternity, please STFU. That is not what it's for.

Same for the people pushing AI. Again, that's not what it's for.

And just because a chapter is using a certain program (i.e. Balanced Man) does not mean the chapter is really down with it. To assume they will be more "openminded" is folly (and also kind of offensive).

LADodger213 - there will most likely be a campus group for returning and/or nontraditional students at your school. Join at your earliest opportunity. They will be able to give you the "lay of the land" concerning Greek life and campus orgs at YOUR school far better than we can.
That's the best response I've read thus far. Thanx!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I realize this doesn't really matter since OP has changed his mind, but I'm curious - would he even be eligible to rush? He said in his first post that he is pursuing his second bachelor's degree. The very first thing that I thought of is that this would make him ineligible, but no one else has mentioned it so now I'm wondering if my gut reaction was way off base.

Can someone who has already graduated and received a bachelor's degree join a fraternity as an undergraduate member?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see why not if he is pursuing a bachelor's degree. It's an interesting question though. It probably doesn't happen often enough for most organizations to have rules regarding it.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
It probably doesn't happen often enough for most organizations to have rules regarding it.
You're probably right.

As for the general topic of second bachelors degrees, Delta is one of the NPHC organizations that specifies. Delta's National website states "the student is taking courses leading to her first/initial baccalaureate degree or its equivalent."

Someone pursuing a second bachelor's or attending a university for graduate school can officially pursue membership through, and be affiliated with, an alumnae chapter and (if so desired) unofficially affiliate (or associate) with the collegiate chapter. I know NPHC fraternity members who became members through graduate chapters but you would think they were part of the collegiate chapter because they were so involved, even when they were aspirants.

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-27-2011 at 09:28 PM.