GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,625
1 members and 1,624 guests
navane

Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter131 View Post
Sorry, im new to this whole frat thing. An explanation would be nice.
The stuffed unicorn is rolling its eyes in an animated picture saved in the .gif format.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If your father was in the frat you are rushing, does that give you a much better chance of getting in, or is that just a myth?
Generally, fraternity legacies are given much consideration. However, it is not a guarantee.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry, im new to this whole frat thing.
Then let me give you a word of advice before someone else does. FYI, some (though not all) fraternity members consider the term "frat" offensive, as it can carry something of an immature party animal connotation. Some even consider it very offensive. Unless you've heard fraternity members on your campus regularly using the term, you're safer sticking with "fraternity."

My other word of advice: Take a deep breath and relax.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

A few brothers in the frat told me that being a legacy is an automatic bid. Geez, that was easier than I thought.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
A few brothers in the frat told me that being a legacy is an automatic bid. Geez, that was easier than I thought.

Really?? Well, I guess different chapters at different schools have their procedures regarding legacies, but I sure know and know of people (guys and girls both) who have been cut by their legacy houses. (I addressed this some in another thread you asked a question in, but you may not have seen my response yet.) I have a friend feeling the sting right now. In August, her son was cut by the fraternity his dad and grandfather are members of. Come to think of it, I believe she told me an uncle was also a member.

My oldest son just accepted a bid from his legacy. Several men in our family, including his dad, are members, with two being past presidents of their chapters and one being a founding member of his. Even with the long standing family involvement with this fraternity, my son was advised by his dad not to approach recruitment all cozy and comfortable with his legacy standing -- he knows those bids don't always come.

Again though, different chapters at different schools may do it their own way. Personally, I wouldn't like it. What if the legacy is a rude, obnoxious, arrogant jerk with a history of causing trouble, barely makes grades and is disrespectful to women? Who would like having to extend an automatic bid to someone they know will not be a good representative of their organization?

Also, I second the advice you were given to use the word "fraternity" over "frat." Some members are cool with frat while others aren't and find it offensive. (My husband hates "frat" and always has. ) You can't go wrong with "fraternity", so play it safe and good luck with your recruitment!

Last edited by greekdee; 09-16-2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If that's the case, I can honestly say that it's the first chapter I've ever heard of that automatically bids all legacies.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Troll.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Unless the pledge in question turns out to be a real closet case...like Fred.

It may be an automatic bid, but guess what? Fraternities are not sororities. Some of them take great delight in "whittling down" the pledge class as the semester goes on. Just because you get a bid, doesn't mean you'll become a brother.

And for the love of all that's holy, stop saying frat. It makes you sound so trashy that not even Snooki would go out with you.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdee View Post
Really?? Well, I guess different chapters at different schools have their procedures regarding legacies, but I sure know and know of people (guys and girls both) who have been cut by their legacy houses. (I addressed this some in another thread you asked a question in, but you may not have seen my response yet.) I have a friend feeling the sting right now. In August, her son was cut by the fraternity his dad and grandfather are members of. Come to think of it, I believe she told me an uncle was also a member.

My oldest son just accepted a bid from his legacy. Several men in our family, including his dad, are members, with two being past presidents of their chapters and one being a founding member of his. Even with the long standing family involvement with this fraternity, my son was advised by his dad not to approach recruitment all cozy and comfortable with his legacy standing -- he knows those bids don't always come.

Again though, different chapters at different schools may do it their own way. Personally, I wouldn't like it. What if the legacy is a rude, obnoxious, arrogant jerk with a history of causing trouble, barely makes grades and is disrespectful to women? Who would like having to extend an automatic bid to someone they know will not be a good representative of their organization?

Also, I second the advice you were given to use the word "fraternity" over "frat." Some members are cool with frat while others aren't and find it offensive. (My husband hates "frat" and always has. ) You can't go wrong with "fraternity", so play it safe and good luck with your recruitment!
It doesnt mean I'm going to act cocky or anything, Ill still treat it the same way as if I wasn't a legacy.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Troll.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Troll.

I don't see what was so wrong about my last post, I just said before what they told me, it might not be true, but I'd have a legitimate beef if they rejected me.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, no you wouldn't.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Actually, no you wouldn't.
This. There is no such thing as a right to a bid.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
This. There is no such thing as a right to a bid.
And if for some reason they are required to bid you because you are a legacy, nothing prevents them from dropping you the first opportunity they can. My chapter has actually had people bid, then dropped a week later. It sucked for them, but it showed that nothing is guaranteed.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It doesnt mean I'm going to act cocky or anything, Ill still treat it the same way as if I wasn't a legacy.
Sorry, did not intend to imply that being a legacy would cause you to act cocky, and that certainly was not what my husband had in mind when he advised our son.

It's just that some people really have their hearts set on joining a legacy chapter, and think being a legacy makes a bid guaranteed. That simply is not always the case, and the shock and disappointment of not receiving a bid from one's legacy can be fierce. Also, someone wanting and expecting an automatic bid from their legacy may not check out other Greek orgs and end up without a chapter at all.

That is kind of what happened to my friend's son back in August. He wasn't invited to his legacy chapter's last event during formal recruitment. I don't know if he had invites to other houses, but he withdrew from recruitment and is presently a non-Greek. I think he's still having a great college experience, but I saw his Facebook status the night he got cut. He was pretty surprised and bummed at first.

Once again, best wishes in getting a bid.