GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,594
2 members and 1,592 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Chicago?

Any Chicago GC'ers out there, or frequent visitors? I am going to Chicago for the first time for AXO convention July 13-18. I am going with my CP so she & I are looking for some do-not-miss stuff to do. We know we are going to the Field Museum for Tut -- but are on limited free time after that. So what should we definitely see, and what to avoid? I know that we will have time to go to the Pier and do the shopping thing and all that - I want to know about specific attractions and any great restaurants (we are on a budget - so nothing over the top please!) - thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-25-2006, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

You need to stop off for some Garrett's popcorn. It's just amazing if you're a carmel or cheese popcorn fan. I love love love the carmel corn. They have a bunch of locations, so here's their website so you can see if there will be one close to you.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=AXO Alum]Any Chicago GC'ers out there, or frequent visitors? I am going to Chicago for the first time for AXO convention July 13-18. I am going with my CP so she & I are looking for some do-not-miss stuff to do. We know we are going to the Field Museum for Tut -- but are on limited free time after that. So what should we definitely see, and what to avoid? I

I'm going to Tut on Friday, so if you want, I'll p/m you and let you know what it's like. I'm also going to try and wander over to the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry. AI is closer to downtown than MSI, but they're both worth the trip.

You all will love Chicago -- not that I'm biased or anything! The Pier is okay, but it's pretty touristy. I think the Ferris wheel is totally over-rated; it's so slow... I swear, you're stuck in the air for 30 minutes; you get a pretty good view of the skyline, but I don't think it's worth it. I also think Sears Tower is only eh. A couple of my friends love going on the boat tours; as long as it's not super duper hot (and you're not under a bridge when the Dave Matthews Band is driving on it....) it can be a fun way to spend a day.
Water Tower is fun and has some good shopping, but don't be afraid to branch out; once you pass the Loop, there's a lot of awesome places to shop that are not on the gold coast.

Food-wise, your options are wide open. Try and stay away from the chain restaurants; there's a lot of great ethnic restaurants. I'm a big fan of Greektown; I've been to all of the restaurants, and I've never had a bad meal. I especially love the Parthenon and the Greek Isles, though the Parthenon is a little more budget friendly. Great food, great people.

I hope you and your sisters have a great time in Chicago!
Old 06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

If you get low on money or want a quick bite to eat, try Rock N' Roll McDonald's on N. Clark, across from the Hard Rock Cafe. This Micky D's has two stories, escalators, flatscreens, rock memorabilia, and leather furniture. I've never seen any fast food place like it.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-25-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXO Alum
Any Chicago GC'ers out there, or frequent visitors? I am going to Chicago for the first time for AXO convention July 13-18. I am going with my CP so she & I are looking for some do-not-miss stuff to do. We know we are going to the Field Museum for Tut -- but are on limited free time after that. So what should we definitely see, and what to avoid? I know that we will have time to go to the Pier and do the shopping thing and all that - I want to know about specific attractions and any great restaurants (we are on a budget - so nothing over the top please!) - thanks in advance for any help!
I'm so excited! It doesn't look like we'll have much free time, but I'm excited to see Chicago.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
If you get low on money or want a quick bite to eat, try Rock N' Roll McDonald's on N. Clark, across from the Hard Rock Cafe. This Micky D's has two stories, escalators, flatscreens, rock memorabilia, and leather furniture. I've never seen any fast food place like it.
Seriously, it makes the HRC look like crap!

Any restaurant that serves a good Italian Beef is worth visiting - it's their "trademark sandwich". My favorite is Gulliver's, on W. Howard, but it's a bit out of your way (same with the ever so awesome Super Dawgs). You also want to hit the Billy Goat, where the "Chzburg, chzburg, pipsi, pipsi" skit on SNL is from.

Most of the other "cheap thrills" I know about Chicago require a car, but if you'll have one, PM me!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownxo
The Pier is okay, but it's pretty touristy. I think the Ferris wheel is totally over-rated; it's so slow... I swear, you're stuck in the air for 30 minutes; you get a pretty good view of the skyline, but I don't think it's worth it.
I was also going to say the same thing about the Pier too. One good thing about the Pier though is they have a firework show every Wednesday (at 9:30) and Saturday (at 10:15) night during the summer. If you really want to go to a museum definitely go to the Museum of Science and Industry. It's not in the loop, but as chitownxo said, worth the trip.

You mentioned shopping in your post, if you really want to do that then head over to Michigan Ave. (the Magnificent Mile). That is the best place to do shopping in Chicago.

I personally like the Hancock's sky deck better then the Sears Tower, they have more things to do there. Millennium Park is pretty cool too. They have some really neat interactive art pieces there.

As for food places, if you want a true taste of Chicago style food you should go for either pizza or a hot dog. For pizza you can go to Lou Malnati's, Uno's, or Gino's East. As for hot dogs, if you really want the best hot dog and fries in Chicago and are willing to travel outside the city, I would suggest Gene and Jude's in River Grove. If not, there is always Portillo's downtown.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me!!

Kappa Delta Sorority

Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity
Old 06-26-2006, 09:21 AM

Chicago is a great city. Have a wonderful time.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

AXO Alum, it depends on what you want. There's something for everyone. On the Michigan Ave, check out Water Tower Place with it's multi-levels. The John Hancock is next door. You can have cocktails at the Signature Room and have a great view of the city. The Museum of Contemporary Art is nearby . Then there's State Street. Check out Marshall Field's and have lunch at the Walnut Room before it becomes Macy's in three months. You can be fancy and have afternoon tea with finger sandwiches at the Four Seasons or The Drake Hotel. Next to Millenium Park is The Art Institute. You can catch a show at the Chicago Theater or Roosevelt University's Auditorium Theater.

The Chicago Architectural Foundation gives great walking tours and riverboat tours of the city as well. I'd suggest making your reservations soon. They're usually booked in advance.There is a free trolley shuttle you can take to museum campus, which has the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Field Museum. The Museum of Science and Industry is just a el stop away from downtown.

As for nightlife, you can catch live comedy at Second City where they have a wall of fame of those who've gone onto SNL. Then there's Improv Olympics in Lakeview. For live jazz there's the Hothouse on Balboa or The Green Mill in Uptown.

You can rent bikes at Navy Pier to go along the lakefront if you want to be active. Avoid The Excalibur. It's a tacky tourist trap.

Definitely check out Garrett's popcorn, the carmel/cheese popcorn combo is great. As for the best place for a hot dog, SuperDawg is a Chicago institution and that's on the northwest side of the city. Giordano's deep dish pizza is my favorite.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

I'm constantly amazed by what GC'ers think is cool. In other words, most of you probably think memorizing bar codes is a fun time.

Chicago's charm is in it's architecture and the urban planning. Some say it's the best run city in the world. The mayor is dirty, but he has created something really amazing. Too bad it's filled with midwesterners

-Rudey
Old 06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

If you're looking for pizza, you have to go to Pizzeria Uno (29 E. Ohio) or Pizzeria Due (619 N. Wabash). It is by far the best Chicago-style pizza anywhere. (These are not the same as the chain Pizzeria Unos, which are crap and the pizza tastes nothing like the original.) My favorite Italian restaurant in the world (LaDonna) is on the north side, a bit out of the way if you're downtown but totally worth it and walking distance from an el stop (OMG PUMPKIN RAVIOLI -- best food I've ever had). There's a tiny little hole in the wall at Western and Augusta that has the best pierogis, ever, and is super cheap -- like under $10 for a big meal (Andrzej Grill).

The architecture in Chicago is amazing, and if you're into Frank Lloyd Wright, you might enjoy wandering around Oak Park to check out his home and studio, as well as several houses he designed. Oak Park is immediately west of Chicago, accessible by el and train and everything you'd want to see is within walking distance (I used to live there and miss it so).

Unfortunately, the Sox are out of town that week.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
Unfortunately, the Sox are out of town that week.
But the Cubs are at home! Wrigley Field is an absolute shrine to baseball and everyone should see a game there at least once.
I second the suggestions for Greektown and the Billy Goat. I'll add Boston Blackie's or Hackney's for hamburgers.
Definitely stop at Marshall Field's. The State Street store is amazing.
You might want to take a sightseeing cruise - there are several companies that offer those. All are fun. I've heard really good things about the architecture cruise, though I've never taken it.
There are several neighborhood festivals going on during that time, including the Old St. Pat's World's Largest Block Party, Rock around the Block, and the Chinatown Summer Fair.
Two good sites for things to do/see are Metromix and the Chicago Reader

Have a blast - I love Chicago!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
[QUOTE=Sister Havana]But the Cubs are at home! Wrigley Field is an absolute shrine to baseball and everyone should see a game there at least once. QUOTE]

Cubs suck, Wrigley sucks, Wrigleyville sucks.

Oh yea, all you Northside yuppie Chi-town kids are my beeyotches!

Ha, I strike again!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasa
Cubs suck, Wrigley sucks, Wrigleyville sucks.

Oh yea, all you Northside yuppie Chi-town kids are my beeyotches!

Ha, I strike again!
Rock on, homes.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
Rock on, homes.
Love your location valkyie!!

Kappa Delta Sorority

Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity