GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,166
0 members and 2,166 guests
No Members online

Old 06-11-2002, 12:47 AM

Question DPhiE and DPhiE - same letters, entirely different organizations

I bet that Cream, shadokat and Siobhan will be first to respond here!

There are 2 Delta Phi Epsilon fraternities out there!
I was wondering about Delta Phi Epsilon (the NPC organization that Cream, shadokat and Siobhan are members of) and then there's Delta Phi Epsilon, the Professional Foreign Service Fraternity.

Part 1:
Since both GLOs have identical letters, I was wondering what is the relationship between the two DPhiE's?
Do they peacefully co-exist, sharing the same letters or is there any feeling of "Hey, you copied us?" It looks like the foreign service one is at about 23 chapters.

Part 2:
Are they are any other orgs that have 100% IDENTICAL LETTERS?
The only thing I can think of is:
Kappa Alpha Order and Kappa Alpha Society, but even then--one is an Order, one is a Society.

Anyone else got other examples of duped letters, identical names?
Old 06-11-2002, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I'll comment first...

I found out about Delta Phi Epsilon Professional Foreign Service Fraternity a few years ago when I did an internet search. You can imagine my surprise when I read about my fraternity brothers!
Delta Phi Epsilon International Sorority, Inc. was founded on March 17, 1917 at NYU. Delta Phi Epsilon Professional Foreign Service Fraternity was founded on January 25, 1920, at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. I like to think of the identical letters as a case of great minds thinking alike. As far as I know, there really haven't been problems. I must admit that it would be a little strange to see men wearing my letters.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

hey!

Hi there! I don't think any male Delta Phi Epsilon's are on this board, but if they are, they can correct me if I'm wrong. . .

I went to school where Alpha Chapter of the Fraternity was, and in case you didn't know, there is ALSO Delta Phi Epsilon Professional Foreign Service Sorority! I think the men's colors are black and gold, the women red and black maybe?

Since Georgetown has no social Greek system, and both organizations are relatively small, I have heard of no problems between "D Phi E" and "DPE", as the Foreign Service ones call themselves.
Old 06-11-2002, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

This is kinda like how many people confuse Delta Sigma Phi (IFC Social Fraternity) and Delta Sigma Pi Business Co-Ed business frat.

We (Phi) were created first, in 1899. Pi was created much later than that I believe. Both organizations use Delta Sig as a shortened nick name. Now, I know the Greek letters would TECHNICALLY allow Pi to be "DSP", when a social Greek hears either Delta Sig or DSP, I think they would automatically think of Phi.

Kinda gets annoying when you get mixed for a business frat.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Smile Re: DPhiE and DPhiE - same letters, entirely different organizations

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
Anyone else got other examples of duped letters, identical names?
CutiePie2000, you'll find some more responses here: http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...any+other+Name

I can't even believe I remembered that thread from a while back. I'm quite impressed...
Old 06-11-2002, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
D Phi E

Delta Phi Epsilon International Sorority of NPC and the other one have no relationship at all. We were founded in 1917, while they were founded in 1920. There is no co-exist, because we're two completely different groups. And we don't have a chapter at Georgetown anyway, so there's no friction.

I personally hate the fact that they have our letters, but we can't do much about that