GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,468
1 members and 1,467 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 09-16-2003, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohh God...Where Do I Even Start?!

We just had recruitment and got all of these amazing girls...or at least I thought so. One of our new members was completely rude to one of our initiated sisters and then asked why we have a rule about not going to the 2nd floor of fraternity houses at a party. We don't have a rule like that...we encourage our sisters to be safe and to act responsibly, but we don't make rules about what they can or can't do at a party. The problem is that we were working really hard to make sure we got great, classy girls during rush...and I think this one member might cause some problems in the future. How do you even go about starting a conversation with them about having fun but acting responsibly at the same time. This girl doesn't seem to get it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2003, 05:32 PM

That's why there is a pledge period.

She might just be putting her foot in her mouth out of nervousness. It might be that her friends are jealous that she got a bid and are feeding her rumours. Or she might not be interested in anything other than boys & partying.

Just keep an eye on her - after all you have only known her for a very short time!!
Old 09-16-2003, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

we had a similar situation once-
we ended up at the next new member meeting role playing and going over the standards.
It was fun and informative because for one it was something about being in a fraternity house past 3:30AM is shacking and our role playing went something like this:
Girl 1- I am staying here at a fraternity house
Girl 2- I am a GDI and I see that AGD shacking, they must all be skanks!
New member educator-
this is why we don't shack! It is also safer to leave with sisters to ensure you arrive home safely and so on and so forth...
they really played it up and made it funny, but informative.
This way they learn the code of standards and why they were chosen.
Sarah

Facebook
Old 09-16-2003, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
I know first impressions can mean everything, but sometimes you have to give new members a chance. Trust me, I wondered what the hell my chapter was thinking the year I was a recruitment counselor and we got a huge group of girls- half were really awesome, half were full of attitude. It was like the bipolar sorority. But after a little time spent with all the girls together, the ones who were in it for the "wrong reasons" (ie. Shacking up with fraternity guys, etc.- I quoted that because not everyone thinks those reasons are wrong) either straightened up or realized that their ideals were just not the same as those of the rest of us.

Hopefully this girl is just nervous; she may be thinking that being in a sorority is a total change of lifestyle (which it can be), but it may not be exactly what she thought it was. And if all else fails, try to think that all things improve with time... hopefully.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

educating new members...

For most freshmen, this is their first shot at true freedom, and though they are legal adults, they still need to work on the whole judgement thing and probably aren't aware of the consequences of their actions.

I can give you a first-hand experience...
My freshman year, the actives kept telling our pledge class we needed to have more "bonding" experiences as a pledge class. ie: do something all together. Sooo we did...we all ended up in some fraternity house playing the drinking game "I never" Yeah it was fun at the time, and no, none of us really thought anything of it, until we all got called into standards and then realized how it really made our house look.... Needless to say, we did all learn a lesson and it did bring our whole pledge class together (so I guess it wasn't a total loss!).

I think the best thing to do, would to have your new member educator sit down with the entire pledge class and just have an open discussion. Don't forbid girls from doing things--that will just cause rebellion. But explain WHY it is important to consider oneself as being watched and viewed by others at all times. B/C it seems like on most campuses, everyone is just looking for excuses to bag on fraternities and sororities--we don't want to give them reason to!

Hopefully this girl in question is just a little curious about college life and its limitations...and hopefully she realizes that she wants to be a positive role model not only for the sorority, but for herself as well.

Last edited by tri-d; 09-16-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
That's why there is a pledge period.
See, but this is what frustrates me.

Say a really sweet girl comes thru Recruitment. She's awesome all week, everyone really likes her, and all are happy when she's at the house on Bid Day. Yay for New Member Suzy! We all love her. But as Suzy gets more and more comfortable around the sisters, more of her true colors come out - and you realize that she isn't the person she portrayed during Recruitment, and she isn't really someone you want in your house. Maybe she's rude, maybe she's tacky, maybe she doesn't seem to be there for the right reasons...

But basically, you're stuck with her - there's no way, at least not in my organization, to get rid of a New Member after you've given her a bid - if you give her a bid after just meeting her BARELY during Recruitment, she can become a member of your organization - a lifelong sister.

It's like the New Member period gives them a chance to find out more about the organization, and the active sisters - and they can choose to stay or drop - but the active members never get another chance to decide if we want to keep or drop the new members!

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, it's just something that's been on my mind. I'm not saying that this girl deserves to be dropped - it just seems like there's such a limited number of choices that sororities have after giving that young woman a bid. Of course, the first steps should be to talk to the new member, use general group discussions then one-on-one, but after that - ultimately you can be stuck with someone who just isn't right for you!

Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Quote:
Originally posted by KerriMarie
It's like the New Member period gives them a chance to find out more about the organization, and the active sisters - and they can choose to stay or drop - but the active members never get another chance to decide if we want to keep or drop the new members!

Any thoughts?
That's so true too. I don't know why in sororities if you find out that the girl just isn't right for your sorority that you cant like not initiate her. I know in fraternities they can do that. It's called like blackballing, and Ive actually seen it done a few times. I dont know why it cant be done for sororities as well. Maybe thats just my opinion

Nichole
Old 09-17-2003, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by SparkliiQTMTSU
That's so true too. I don't know why in sororities if you find out that the girl just isn't right for your sorority that you cant like not initiate her. I know in fraternities they can do that. It's called like blackballing, and Ive actually seen it done a few times. I dont know why it cant be done for sororities as well. Maybe thats just my opinion
No, it's not just your opinion...it's mine, too! It's so hard to make a decision about a person based on a couple of half-hour conversations in a noisy room, and sometimes you find out later that you don't particularly care for people you thought were cool at first. I know "blackballing" sounds bad, but why can't we do it and call it something else?
Old 09-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Ginger

I apologize in advance for continuing the hijack, but....

Granted, I'm not totally up on NPC nm-processes and all that, but I thought I was more up than this! Are you saying there's no way to de-pledge (or whatever the new term would be) someone if they don't fit the morals or aims of the chapter after they've been bid but before initiation?!?!?!?!?!

I'm curious as to how this would work, if it is discussable here. Speaking only for my own sorority, I know that after we bid someone, they are voted upon twice as to whether they can continue to be a new member.... I thought all sororities worked like this. Help me ou!!!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Ginger...normally, when a New Member gets a bid she's pretty much in, unless she does something really bad, in which case she could be asked to depledge. I've never seen it happen, though, and I don't think you can have a New Member depledge simply because she doesn't "fit" as well with the sorority as was originally thought.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:02 PM
Ginger

Good to know!

I always like to learn more about the workings of NPCs!
Old 09-17-2003, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to socialbutterfly
I have to agree with Ginger, if a girl isn't working out, you as memebers of the sorority she's trying to join, should be able to change your mind about letting her in. My sorority thankfully, has this option. If the girl pledging has the right to discontinue her process, than we feel its our right as well to discontinue her from it. Its like when you work for a certain company. Most places have an "at-will" clause saying that you have the right to terminate yourself without any reason, just like the company.

Of course in the situation of de-pledging someone, you would have a reason, and you would let that girl know.

We've had simlar situations where a girl or two come out for us and just show that rah-rah personality that everyone is looking for, than down the line into the pledging process, they start to show there true colors....they don't want to do com. service, or study hours, or they are more intrested in frat guys then the reason being in a sorority...this gives us the chance to see what type of members they will be once they become a sister. We've gotten rid of some girls before they could cause chaos in the sorority...I know because after saying good-bye to them, they went and pledged another sorority, and I've heard the stories of how hard these girls are to handled from the sisiters in that org.

I think if your sorority/chapter doesn't allow you to do this, than maybe this is something you should look into...that is if you are able to change that rule.

pledging should be a period where everyone gets to feel out each other....if the girl thinks she belongs regardless of her actions, than the org is made to suffer because you can't let her go unless she does something outrageous...of course by then, its too late.. her damage is done to your sorority and others might also know about it.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as I know, you can de-pledge someone. Granted it can't be for something really minute like "You looked at me wrong", but it can be done.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that we used to blackball - our marshal showed us the old container used to do that one time in chapter.

We had a situation last year where a particular New Member wasn't really someone we wanted in our sorority - and she had seemed like such a great girl during Recruitment, I preffed her and LOVED her and was so happy to see her on Bid Day - there wasn't anything huge, but a bunch of sisters didn't want her to be a Kappa. When some other sisters and I took our concerns to the New Member Educator and then the President, we were kind of brushed off - like "well, we can't really do anything now, she's staying." Maybe we do have a de-pledging procedure, but if we do it was never presented as an option to the chapter - we were just told to have her big sister talk to her about her actions...
Old 09-17-2003, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristi_ann81
I'm not sure this is true of all chapters in my organization, but I do remember something that happened when I was a pledge. We had a pledge in my pledge class who not only showed her true colors after getting her bid, but was someone whom every pledge and sister had major problems with. Words cannot even describe this girl and the things she did that reflected poorly on our organization!
Anyhow, I think I remember someone saying that if you get called before Chapter Relations 3 times during your pledge period you are dismissed from the chapter and not initiated. I remember older sisters crying at this girls initiation because she only got sent to CR twice and was able to initiate.
Thankfully the girl left after freshman year!