GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,408
0 members and 1,408 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

To answer your question, Dr Phil, I'm going to diagnose it as a pathological need to have the last word. And we can tag team this forever to prove it. His theoretical life as a pledge is going to be very interesting.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signed up user View Post
Do fraternity guys just not get on the fraternity section? I would like to hear directly from them and not sorority girls who are well past their prime and have likely graduated college.
I am a guy. So is elicampbell. So is TSteven.

Quote:
morals morals and morals again

have there been guys in their mid to late 20s that have done it? because I am starting to see exactly why my thread which is about fraternities has managed to attract quite a number of female users who don't really have my best interest in heart for this given thing.
Since you seem to unable to read what people have said and see the answer to your question, I'll try one more time:
  1. Some fraternities may have restrictions on whether bids can be given to grad students. If you attempt to rush a fraternity that has such a prohibition, then no, membership in that fraternity will not be possible for you.
  2. Even if a national fraternity does not have a rule limiting bids to undergrads, some chapters may have such a rule, whether written or unwritten. If that is the case with a fraternity you are rushing, then no, it is not a real possibility that you will get a bid from that fraternity.
  3. Even if the rules of fraternities allow offering bids to undergrads, the campus culture may be such as to make it unheard of or frowned upon. In that case, while it may be theoretically possible to receive a bid, it is not at all likely.
  4. Even if there are no other obstacles to your being offered a bid, a chapter may still choose not to actually offer you one for reasons such as those that people have described in this thread. So again, while it would be theoretically possible to receive a bid, it might also be very unlikely.
  5. It is also possible that, if there are no regulations prohibiting it, a chapter could choose to offer you a bid. That decision is completely up to the chapter, based on criteria of what the chapter is looking for in new members, and no one else can predict how likely it is that any chapter might actually offer a bid.

In other words, have there ever been older, non-traditional students who've received bids? Sure. Is that any indication at all of the likelihood of you receiving a bid at ASU? Not in the least. Everything depends on the specific fraternity, the members of the specific chapter, the specific campus and, not least of all, the specific rushee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicampbell View Post
Here is some free advice - when you ask for advice, don't discount it because it differs from what you want to read.
Absolutely.

And I'd refrain from the insults, too. All they do is make you look like a fool or a prick or both. People from Arizona, and ASU, do read these threads. The 26-year-old, starting out in STEM, now studying art at ASU will be easy to pick out in rush. Chances are you've already started making an impression on the guys you hope will offer you a bid, or on their friends, and so far it's not a positive one.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What a classy lady, it's alright, my "old ass" still has a ton of options and sorority girls past their prime are not on that list. Go worry about your biological clock which is ticking while I worry about rushing alright?
Hey bud, I'm a twenty-years-and-five-months-old ACTIVE sorority member who is telling you right now that I would not want your old and creepy ass at any parties I may choose to attend. You got your advice from both fraternity and sorority members who know way more than you do, it wasn't what you wanted to hear, and now you're flinging insults as a result. I shudder to think of how you'll react if you don't get a bid from the fraternity of your choice or any bid at all. Fortunately for me, that's not my issue because I have letters and you don't.

Best of luck.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
What a classy lady...sorority girls past their prime are not on that list. Go worry about your biological clock which is ticking while I worry about rushing alright?
Since this thread is still going, OP needs to know this post is an illustration of sexism, bordering on misogyny. Find a way to talk smack to one person without essentially talking smack to an entire gender.

Check yo self before you riggidy-wreck yo self

Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Hey bud, I'm a twenty-years-and-five-months-old ACTIVE sorority member who is telling you right now that I would not want your old and creepy ass at any parties I may choose to attend. You got your advice from both fraternity and sorority members who know way more than you do, it wasn't what you wanted to hear, and now you're flinging insults as a result. I shudder to think of how you'll react if you don't get a bid from the fraternity of your choice or any bid at all. Fortunately for me, that's not my issue because I have letters and you don't.

Best of luck.
You're almost old enough to buy your own booze-- you're probably too old for him, too. LOL.

Oh damn...I've got to sign off. This "girl's" biological clock is ticking; I've got to get busy with these dusty old eggs I have laying around up in here. I wonder if my husband and child are worried about my biological clock blowing up all over the place? God, what a mess that's going to be.

Thanks for the distraction, dude.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Banned

Was that a Biological Clock Thread Flounce? GC regulars can't BCTF.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

To flounce or not to flounce, that is the question.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I trust that most fraternity guys are somewhat sane and can objectively see what is going on here. Plus what would a 20 year old clemson student who claims to be in a sorority be doing trying to get into arguments online? That does not add up. Most will see it as her being a bottom barrel girl in her sorority that others don't look that highly upon and is taking her frustrations out on an internet forum. If she was given advice that would be one thing but to go out of her way to insult a guy on a forum section for fraternities, yes that is fraternities not sororities, does not make much sense.

I posted the thread asking for advice which some members did give but some female members in particular who are likely frustrated with their lives decided to attack me and I called them out on it.

That being said, I am grateful for this eye opening experience. Sorority girls are not the top reason for me to rush a fraternity, as I said I want to belong to a brotherhood of guys that love to party and get wasted (you don't find those after college). I don't know on what planet 26 is old, most men hit their prime around the age of 30, but given that a sorority girl way past her prime is too frustrated with her terrible life to come up with a creative insult she is likely to use "oldass" where it doesn't apply.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:48 PM

See, not misogynistic at all.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
I trust that most fraternity guys are somewhat sane and can objectively see what is going on here. Plus what would a 20 year old clemson student who claims to be in a sorority be doing trying to get into arguments online? That does not add up. Most will see it as her being a bottom barrel girl in her sorority that others don't look that highly upon and is taking her frustrations out on an internet forum. If she was given advice that would be one thing but to go out of her way to insult a guy on a forum section for fraternities, yes that is fraternities not sororities, does not make much sense.

I posted the thread asking for advice which some members did give but some female members in particular who are likely frustrated with their lives decided to attack me and I called them out on it.

That being said, I am grateful for this eye opening experience. Sorority girls are not the top reason for me to rush a fraternity, as I said I want to belong to a brotherhood of guys that love to party and get wasted (you don't find those after college). I don't know on what planet 26 is old, most men hit their prime around the age of 30, but given that a sorority girl way past her prime is too frustrated with her terrible life to come up with a creative insult she is likely to use "oldass" where it doesn't apply.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you think you've taken the high road in this thread, you are mistaken. Objectively reading this thread, you're coming across like an immature, class-A prick.

And so you know, almost everybody posts in almost all the forums on GreekChat. Females post in fraternity-related forums and males post in sorority-related forums all the time. Unless a forum or thread is marked members only, anyone can post in it.

Quote:
Sorority girls are not the top reason for me to rush a fraternity, as I said I want to belong to a brotherhood of guys that love to party and get wasted (you don't find those after college).
None of the regulars here are are so naive that we aren't aware that many (too many) guys want to join fraternities for this reason. But in the know-your-audience category, I think it's safe to say that most of the regular posters here believe that this is a very shallow reason for wanting to join a fraternity (or sorority) and his little to do with true brotherhood. Coming from an 18-year-old, it's an understandable motive that will hopefully give way to a much better understanding of what fraternity membership and brotherhood are all about. Coming from a 26-year-old, it sounds like a rather sad avoidance of growing up.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
With that said, I just want to re-state my main interest in joining a fraternity is because I want to be a part of a brotherhood where guys enjoy being young guys that love partying, and drinking. 26 is not really that old for guys in my experience but I understand it is older than what these guys would expect.

A simple statement saying it might be an issue with some of the brothers would have sufficed and I knew that before posting the thread. What I wanted to get was whether it was possible but then the old ladies who probably have 5+++ cats by no persistently tried to talk me out of it and call me names. There is something to be said about women who are long past their prime but still long for those days being very judgmental and trying to make everyone's lives miserable. I tried to ignore them and even reason with them, just check the first half of the thread, but they left me no choice.
It's a good thing nobody around here advises at ASU and could pass this along to a chapter who might think about pledging you!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^^^
This!

Thank you MysticCat for your post. I agree with your post. I could post more, however I feel that it would be a moot point.

To the OP good luck in your quest for fraternity membership. Come back and tell us what chapter you joined.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

"Plus what would a 20 year old clemson student who claims to be in a sorority be doing trying to get into arguments online? That does not add up."
WOW. Maybe it's my Jersey upbringing but don't expect her sisters not to be extremely offended by that statement and defend her to the end against a man-child in AZ who's got a major Peter Pan complex. Seek a psychiatrist, not a bid.
I also highly recommend you stop watching Animal House and the like--it's really warped your idea of what appropriate behavior is of a fraternity man, and you seem to be falling all too easily into the misogynistic, over-aggressive trap.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I do believe age is more of a mindset when you are in your 20s. As I said I presented my situation and all that has been done is people trying to actively discourage me from joining a fraternity rather than:

1. Telling me how those exceptions that happen happen
2. What I will need to do to make myself a good candidate

With that said, I am going to stick to the other point I have made in this thread, what goes on in the mind of a woman well past her prime. The spoiled girl that was in a sorority and in her first 2 years of college and felt like a princess but then hit the real world and saw just how cruel it can be. Then you have a guy like me who never in his life had a fair chance at a social life and had fight for every ounce of respect he had coming into his own and trying to be a part of a brotherhood. What happens?

That's right, the girl who has hit reality hit her in the face and is facing the fear of the biological clock calls him old when ironically she is well past her prime. Advising? I would love to talk to an adviser who calls someone "oldass" rather than giving them advice which centers around how to be the exception. You girls are not advisers, you are monsters that have been hit by reality and wake up daily seeing their biological clock tick while some of the people you looked down upon in your college days (likely those not in your greek crowd) managed to make something of themselves.

With that said, I am finding this to be entertaining too. I did not expect that someone asking for advice on how to join a fraternity at 26 would be attacked this severely when he objectively tried to remain civil in the start of the thread. As to the girls still in college, please keep up that attitude and call your boss "oldass", see where that gets you in life. Not only will you be well past your prime in looks, you will have nothing to offer a high quality guy.

And thanks, now I know what kind of girls I can potentially be dealing with when I run into sororities.
Closed Thread