GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,693
0 members and 1,693 guests
No Members online

Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a third year!

I have an awesome recruitment story to share with you all, mine!

I am a third year at a fairly large university but only a small portion of the student population is greek. I was hesitant to rush at first because all my previous friends bought into the facade that all fraternities and sororities do is party. But as I became a third year, I realized that those friends were boring people who never wanted to go out and do stuff. They just sat at home playing their computer games all day. Because of that, I decided to participate in rush week at my university.

I was able to find out there are social fraternities and professional/academic fraternities. From there, I was determined to rush and join a social and a professional. So during the first week of the quarter I rushed a new academic fraternity called Pikachu I quickly got a bid and I accepted right away out off fear that I wouldn't get another bid anywhere else. Probably one of the worst mistakes I could make.

Week 2 is the official rush week for IFC fraternities and I was ready to jump into a social fraternity. I felt like I didn't really click with any of them. Apparently 2 fraternities were kicked out of IFC in the last 2 years so there were only 5 other IFC fraternities on my campus. One of them seemed like they were the "cool kids from high school", other seem like all they do is work out and another seem like they were high all the time. Long story short, I decided to try a new IFC fraternity on my campus called Squirtle. The national headquarters sent people here to recruit a founding class and I thought about all the opportunities that I could create so I decided to accept their bid.

So I got in one social and one academic fraternity, great right? Well a pre-law fraternity started rushing on week 3. I am looking into law school after I get my B.A. and so I really wanted to join this pre-law fraternity that I'm going to call Bulbasaur. But the problem is that I was already pledging for Pikachu. So what I ended up doing was going to Bulbasaur's rush event even though I was pledging for Pikachu. Went to a weekly meeting for Squirtle and guess who I see there. An active from Pikachu. I decided it was better to confront him then to make is seem awkward later on, and so I talked to him and he was actually just as afraid of people knowing he was already in Pikachu. It was fine to be in both Squirtle and Pikachu but it was just awkward.

And then suddenly, his friend next to him turns to me and says "Weren't you at my house the other night for the rush?" I quickly said no since I was in front of an active for Pikachu. Turns out he is in Bulbasaur and he and the active from Pikachu are close friends. So it was a total "I'm f***ked" moment. Luckily for me, the active from Pikachu was chill about it telling me that "I have to do what I have to do". The next day, I interviewed for Bulbasaur and ended up receiving a bid. From there I told the president of Pikachu that I longer wish to keep pledging for them.

So now I'm pledging Squirtle and Bulbasaur and having the time of my life. Hopefully none of your recruitment stories is as complicated as mine but I thought it would be nice to share.

Last edited by Kirain; 10-17-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )