GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,618
2 members and 1,616 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Arizona State Pi Kappa Alpha and Sigma Phi Epsilon Alleged Fight

Hi Kevin (and LaneSig and other GCers), hope people had a fine Labor Day weekend. Now some news (?) coming out of Arizona:

[B]Arizona State[\B]
Pi Kappa Alpha and Sigma Phi Epsilon in the news:

‘brutally beaten and covered with blood . . . “

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...plex-abrk.html
also
at least one arrest so far:

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/loc...a4bcf887a.html
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Not good. There is already extensive scrutiny being paid to the Greek system due to multiple incidents last year. This will not help things at all.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

As soon as I heard the Greek connection I cringed, this will be just another reason for President Crow to hate Greek life. The last 12 months have done no favors to the fraternities here.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phigirl04 View Post
As soon as I heard the Greek connection I cringed, this will be just another reason for President Crow to hate Greek life. The last 12 months have done no favors to the fraternities here.
It sounds like the fraternities aren't doing themselves any favors from the list in the second article linked in the original post here:

In November 2012, fraternity member Jack Culolias drowned after attending a fraternity/sorority event.

In March 2013, two women were burned at a fraternity party after someone threw a bottle of liquor into a bon fire.

In April 2013, five people were arrested for a brawl at an apartment complex that houses a fraternity.

In May 2013, a fraternity member was left unconscious at an emergency room after participating in a drinking contest. He had a 0.47 blood alcohol content.

At what point do they realize it can happen to them and they need to shape up??
Old 09-04-2013, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I've been working here, several fraternities have lost charters and it still doesn't get through to the current members. Many ASU students take pride in the party hard reputation, I watched students this week take pride in the nearly 900 arrests over the last two weekends. I personally don't get it but that seems to be a part of the culture here at times.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Two more arrests; statement from Pi Kappa Alpha HQ; the Sigma Phi Epsilon member's jaw is wired shut; and other bits of news about the event:

http://www.kpho.com/story/23331863/t...tment-elevator
Old 09-06-2013, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that if President Crow had not bulldozed all of the fraternity houses on Alpha Drive then these incidents would be minimal, since fraternities would have more regulation being housed on campus, as opposed to having problems spill out onto the rest of the Tempe community.

As for Pike, they took over 200 "founding fathers" when they recolonized last semester and handed out bids to just about anyone who applied. Looks like they need to reevaluate their recruiting standards.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

The Arizona Board of Regents is not amused.

my prediction: ASU fraternities may soon be a thing of the past. They keep upping the ante despite warnings... UofA is next in line.

ETA: TKESunDevil, I think that's a simplistic viewpoint and your opinion about Pike is your opinion. There are several fraternities on the UofA campus and we have the same problems. We are all at risk here.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 09-06-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

With regard to Pi Kappa Alpha as an organization in general, they charge all of their chapters the same liability insurance premium regardless of the chapter's size. This actually encourages chapters to maybe grow bigger than they should be. It takes a lot of time and energy to create a fraternity chapter with a truly positive culture. I'd have to agree, going from 0-200, is just not manageable and problems are going to be foreseeable.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma