GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,574
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, ajacksonjunioro
» Online Users: 1,910
2 members and 1,908 guests
FSUZeta, speedsters
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsuchelle View Post
The medical examiner has confirmed that Jenny died from acute alcohol and cocaine intoxication.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/13489238/detail.html
That's so sad. I hope people who use cocaine recreationally hear this message, it is not the harmless "occassional use" drug that so many people think it is. So awful that such a young promising life was cut short.
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Many organizations have provisions which allow for the expulsion of any member who uses controlled substances. It'd probably be prudent for j-boards to take notice of provisions like this. If members are showing up to events high, they should be either required to quit using, enter rehab, etc.

We shouldn't tolerate members who are such open and obvious risks to themselves. If this young lady's sisters had involved, she might still be alive today.. or at least if her membership had been revoked, Alpha Phi wouldn't have had to endure all of this scrutiny.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMcGuire1983 View Post
That's so sad. I hope people who use cocaine recreationally hear this message, it is not the harmless "occassional use" drug that so many people think it is. So awful that such a young promising life was cut short.
I cannot for the life of me even begin to understand why a young person with a promising future would try such a thing. Such a tragedy.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If this young lady's sisters had involved, she might still be alive today.. or at least if her membership had been revoked, Alpha Phi wouldn't have had to endure all of this scrutiny.
I gotta ask this- do you ever just shut up? I'm sure that there are people on this board from SDSU who knew Jenny and don't want to hear this. And I'm sure that her sisters are dealing with a lot of grief and survivor's guilt now and don't need a random stranger on a messageboard blaming them for their sister's death. A young lady died long before she should have. Regardless of how she died, you should still be respectful of her family and friends.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to alphagamphi
Its sad that she died of cocaine use. My heart goes out to her family and the member of Alpha Phi.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
I gotta ask this- do you ever just shut up? I'm sure that there are people on this board from SDSU who knew Jenny and don't want to hear this. And I'm sure that her sisters are dealing with a lot of grief and survivor's guilt now and don't need a random stranger on a messageboard blaming them for their sister's death. A young lady died long before she should have. Regardless of how she died, you should still be respectful of her family and friends.
In any other forum, you might have a point. But this is the Risk Management thread, where by definition the conversation will, and should, extend beyond the incident itself to the lessons that can be learned.

Sure, Kevin's post might have been worded a little differently, as it seems to assume that her sisters knew or should have known she was using cocaine, which may or may not have been the case. (For all we know, this was her first time.) That said, this kind of discussion about mutual responsibility and avoiding risk in the future is exactly what this particular forum is all about.

It is indeed sad that this young woman died, and my sincere sympathies go out to her family, her Alpha Phi sisters and her friends. I can only imagine the pain they must all feel, and I pray that imagining that pain is all I ever have to do.

That said, it will be equally sad if we don't look at the situation to see what we can learn from it in the hopes of avoiding the same pain being felt by other families and different sets of friends.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Well said, MysticCat.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 PM

To say in effect "well, if her sorority would have been smart enough to terminate her, they wouldn't look so bad"? How on EARTH do you justify that in any way? YOU DON'T. Death is not a teachable moment and people who try to make it one are absolutely revolting.

I just hope none of her friends, family or chapter sisters read this thread. It's been full of innuendo, gossip and misplaced blame from beginning to end.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

If someone's showing up to events already wasted, and indeed goes on to die from the intoxicated condition which existed during the time she was at the event, it should be fair to say that the chapter was on notice that she was using.

I find it difficult to believe that someone could be using both cocaine and alcohol at the same time and show no signs of intoxication. Yes, chapters need to be careful because things like this can be financially ruinous as well as causing HQs to revoke charters.

As for rumors, please show me where they are. This thread has been heavily edited and deleted in to avoid that sort of thing.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
If someone's showing up to events already wasted, and indeed goes on to die from the intoxicated condition which existed during the time she was at the event, it should be fair to say that the chapter was on notice that she was using.

I find it difficult to believe that someone could be using both cocaine and alcohol at the same time and show no signs of intoxication. Yes, chapters need to be careful because things like this can be financially ruinous as well as causing HQs to revoke charters.

As for rumors, please show me where they are. This thread has been heavily edited and deleted in to avoid that sort of thing.
As someone else said, there's NO evidence that she was a regular alcohol or cocaine user. What were they supposed to do, hold a termination hearing in the middle of the formal?

For that matter, it said she was at several events - for all we know, she could have had NOTHING at the formal and started pounding/snorting the moment she left. That's not the sorority's responsibility to police her 24/7.

Rumors? YOU are the one painting this woman as a regular "user" when no evidence of that sort exists.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
Unfortunately getting trashed/high on whatever drug is available is really commonplace at SDSU, even in GLO's. I am willing to guess that she was not the only one of her friends that was high that night. Cocaine isn't usually something you do by yourself.

I really hope that something is done about this... SDSU greeks get education on binge drinking but not enough, and NO seminars on drug use.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
I gotta ask this- do you ever just shut up? I'm sure that there are people on this board from SDSU who knew Jenny and don't want to hear this.
I'm not the only one who will be saying it.

Quote:
And I'm sure that her sisters are dealing with a lot of grief and survivor's guilt now and don't need a random stranger on a messageboard blaming them for their sister's death. A young lady died long before she should have. Regardless of how she died, you should still be respectful of her family and friends.
As said above, the only use of posting these things on here at all is that we might be able to possibly prevent future events like this. These sorts of stories/threads help to demonstrate that college students aren't invincible and that we need to look after our brothers/sisters.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsuchelle View Post
Unfortunately getting trashed/high on whatever drug is available is really commonplace at SDSU, even in GLO's. I am willing to guess that she was not the only one of her friends that was high that night. Cocaine isn't usually something you do by yourself.
I almost wrote something regarding this but didn't post it. I went to school in San Diego and lived there until about a year ago. Cocaine use is extremely common in the college party scene and the bar scene in SD.

That being said, I think it's really disrespectful to be assuming things about the deceased and/or her chapter. I don't think that making accusations about the chapter's knowledge or her presumed habit of drug use is appropriate in ANY forum on GC, even Risk Management.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Kevin, I agree, but the operative word is if. If there's something in this thread that shows that this was in fact the case in this thread (other than queenofpink's hearsay), I have missed it.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
To say in effect "well, if her sorority would have been smart enough to terminate her, they wouldn't look so bad"? How on EARTH do you justify that in any way? YOU DON'T. Death is not a teachable moment and people who try to make it one are absolutely revolting.

I just hope none of her friends, family or chapter sisters read this thread. It's been full of innuendo, gossip and misplaced blame from beginning to end.
It seems to me that the death of someone that the audience doesn't know is frequently used as a teachable moment. Now, it's possible that anti-drunk driving and anti-drug use ads are revolting to you, but it seems to be a fairly accepted thing in our culture, going back to horrible drivers education videos back in the day.

I agree that Kevin's post would seem harsh to members of her group and her family, (and personally, I was a little troubled my the "group should cut it's losses" element because I like to think the bond is a little deeper than that) but I doubt he really had them in mind as his audience, seeing the topic of the forum and all.

From the perspective of the group, if you have a sister or brother you know is using drugs, and the sister or brother isn't receptive to quitting or treatment, it does create an extra liability for the group. I think a lot of us think in terms of different categories of users, like recreation user vs. addict, but if someone ODs in the house, like seemed to happen at SMU this year, or has a bad outcome in connection to an GLO event, which seems to fill this forum, it's likely going to be really bad for the group. (It doesn't really matter how frequently or if they've used in the past.) That's part of what the forum is all about.

It doesn't make this young woman's death less tragic for her immediate family, but it's a real example of the risk management issues groups face, and it seems a little odd to come in and bust on this particular thread.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 06-19-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Closed Thread