GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 316,949
Threads: 115,816
Posts: 2,175,423
Welcome to our newest member, Jsobey
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1171  
Old 08-23-2020, 12:58 PM
TLLK TLLK is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 298
Cleo's new tree does have a sisal post where she can scratch and allow my furniture to have a little peace.



I really wanted one to give her a place to climb/exercise especially around 9pm when she's zooming through the house and banking off the sofas.
Reply With Quote
  #1172  
Old 09-06-2020, 08:37 PM
aggieAXO aggieAXO is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: loving the possums
Posts: 2,132
I am up to 10 cats! I just remodeled their outdoor catio, plenty of room to go outside and play but are safe while getting their zoomies on. I do have an invisible fence for one, he is more like a dog and was easy to train.
Reply With Quote
  #1173  
Old 09-07-2020, 09:42 AM
TLLK TLLK is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I bet. We were able to allow our cats to go outside during the day and they would scratch the trees as well as climb up them. We once found one of our roof. I freaked out, but she figured out how to climb back down.

My last three cats were permitted to go outside though the first two only would go out during the day and would return to the house at night. The third one was a friendly stray that we found on the sidewalk who followed us home and truly needed her outdoor time. She would have destroyed the house had we denied her. However little Cleo will likely be an indoor only cat. In the last two years our city and the surrounding ones have experienced a huge increase in the urban coyote population and subsequently the attacks are on the upswing. NextDoor and a social media group keep track and map all of the sightings and attacks. Hazing tactics are no longer working and animals are being taken from their backyards.



Also my neighbor on the corner now has a mini cat colony in his backyard. He feeds the cats which have had at least two litters in the last twelve months. ( I believe that Cleo came from these cats.)


I'd like to try and approach to see if he'd be interested in a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) group to come trap/spay/neuter and return the cats. I'm pretty certain that they're not vaccinated either. Has anyone here ever dealt with a similar situation?
Reply With Quote
  #1174  
Old 09-07-2020, 10:45 AM
aggieAXO aggieAXO is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: loving the possums
Posts: 2,132
We also have been experiencing many coyote sightings and attacks. I live in Leander which is about 20 miles north of Austin, on 2.5 acres. When I moved out here there were just a few neighborhoods, but now the area has exploded and the coyotes seem more brazen. I have 5 cats that go out during the day and must be in by 5 pm. The rest go out into the catio- it is about 400 square feet of totally enclosed yard with cat trees and tunnels, plus they have a huge sunroom to hang out in. I also have two large dogs that run the property to keep coyotes away- we let them out early in the morning to scare anything off. I do have foxes as well but they are small and donít bother the cats. I have lost one cat to a coyote and never want to go through that again😞.
Reply With Quote
  #1175  
Old 09-08-2020, 04:38 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 27,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post

I'd like to try and approach to see if he'd be interested in a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) group to come trap/spay/neuter and return the cats. I'm pretty certain that they're not vaccinated either. Has anyone here ever dealt with a similar situation?
(snipped)
I moved in with my mother after my daddy died (she was legally blind), and there was a HUGE feral cat colony close to her. We started out just feeding them, but eventually got into the TNR program.

I'd recommend that you contact a vet first - some will will work with you more so than others. Our ferals were gorgeous - mostly Siamese with lilac, flame, or seal points. Most TNR groups insist that the cat's ear is notched during sterilization; we argued that, if we were going to get these cats homed, the notched ear wouldn't help them find a home. We got a price of $35 per cat, and had to let the vet know if they were homed.

What we did was to sit on the veranda with the cats as they were eating, talking to them, and stroking them. Once we had their trust, we'd scoop up a cat when it was done eating, rush it into the house, and get it into a cage. Later that day, the cat would be taken to the vet for its first appointment. If it was healthy enough to be sterilized, we got the date, then kept the cat inside until S-Day. The cat would recuperate in its cage in our house, as we got it socialized as much as possible - cuddling, talking to it, etc. Buffy the Bichon got involved as well! If the cat was able to socialize, we'd try to home it - we only had two failures.

One of the cats (a gorgeous flame pointed Siamese) had conjunctivitis when I scooped him. We had called him Lucy until we saw him bathe, then he became Luke. He was diagnosed with pink eye on his initial appointment, so we had to isolate him from the other cats, Buffy, and ourselves for two weeks prior to being sterilized. We had him in the (heated) garage, and we discovered that the Stockholm Syndrome is a very real thing! He was successfully homed with a woman who said that Luke was accepted by her other cats, but in her bed by Night Number Two!

We only had one real problem with it, and that's when one of the cats bit me on the palm during feeding time, and I had to go through a rabies series. It was very rewarding in the all in all, and I'd recommend doing TNR if you're interested!

Oh, early on in our journey, we were both sitting out on the veranda late one night, and I said, "how many times do you think we can do this before the neighbors call us the Crazy Cat Ladies?" Dixie responded, "Oh, Honey, that ship has sailed!"
__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #1176  
Old 09-09-2020, 10:50 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 27,651
Found a photo of the beautiful Luke (held by my sil):

__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #1177  
Old 09-10-2020, 09:10 AM
TLLK TLLK is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
(snipped)
I moved in with my mother after my daddy died (she was legally blind), and there was a HUGE feral cat colony close to her. We started out just feeding them, but eventually got into the TNR program.

I'd recommend that you contact a vet first - some will will work with you more so than others. Our ferals were gorgeous - mostly Siamese with lilac, flame, or seal points. Most TNR groups insist that the cat's ear is notched during sterilization; we argued that, if we were going to get these cats homed, the notched ear wouldn't help them find a home. We got a price of $35 per cat, and had to let the vet know if they were homed.

What we did was to sit on the veranda with the cats as they were eating, talking to them, and stroking them. Once we had their trust, we'd scoop up a cat when it was done eating, rush it into the house, and get it into a cage. Later that day, the cat would be taken to the vet for its first appointment. If it was healthy enough to be sterilized, we got the date, then kept the cat inside until S-Day. The cat would recuperate in its cage in our house, as we got it socialized as much as possible - cuddling, talking to it, etc. Buffy the Bichon got involved as well! If the cat was able to socialize, we'd try to home it - we only had two failures.

One of the cats (a gorgeous flame pointed Siamese) had conjunctivitis when I scooped him. We had called him Lucy until we saw him bathe, then he became Luke. He was diagnosed with pink eye on his initial appointment, so we had to isolate him from the other cats, Buffy, and ourselves for two weeks prior to being sterilized. We had him in the (heated) garage, and we discovered that the Stockholm Syndrome is a very real thing! He was successfully homed with a woman who said that Luke was accepted by her other cats, but in her bed by Night Number Two!

We only had one real problem with it, and that's when one of the cats bit me on the palm during feeding time, and I had to go through a rabies series. It was very rewarding in the all in all, and I'd recommend doing TNR if you're interested!

Oh, early on in our journey, we were both sitting out on the veranda late one night, and I said, "how many times do you think we can do this before the neighbors call us the Crazy Cat Ladies?" Dixie responded, "Oh, Honey, that ship has sailed!"
Thank you for sharing your suggestions and experiences.

Cleo was spayed yesterday and is a tad grumpy about the cone. She won't leave her incision site alone, so she's going to have to wear it.
Fortunately she slept pretty soundly last night, though she was up around 4:30 this morning. I see a few naps for the both of us today and gallons of coffee for me.
Reply With Quote
  #1178  
Old 09-11-2020, 12:19 PM
NinjaPoodle NinjaPoodle is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: On the beach. Well....not really but near it. :0)
Posts: 13,317
Instagram Cats. That is all.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CE_Y9...=1kbcpffmd3vgz
__________________
Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. ** Greater Service, Greater Progress
Since 1922
Reply With Quote
  #1179  
Old 09-11-2020, 04:51 PM
TLLK TLLK is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Found a photo of the beautiful Luke (held by my sil):


He's very handsome!
Reply With Quote
  #1180  
Old 09-11-2020, 06:23 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 27,651
Thank you! Luke had a marvelous, loving personality as well.
__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #1181  
Old 09-13-2020, 02:22 PM
navane navane is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post

Haha! The flower arranging kitten must be a Gamma Phi.
__________________
GFB Z
Gamma Phi Beta

True and Constant
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help the Cats JLyons Cool Sites 16 04-13-2005 07:20 PM
Help the Cats JLyons News & Politics 4 04-12-2005 09:33 PM
Getting rid of cats Special1920 Chit Chat 18 07-16-2004 01:34 PM
those cats AlphaO Chit Chat 0 06-10-2003 03:45 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.