GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,179
1 members and 2,178 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-16-2002, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Allergies

I wasn't cut form this sorority, but while I was in their first round party, I had an allergic reaction. It turns out that the sister that had brought most of the displays had a lot of cats. Everything in the room smelled like cats and there were cat hairs everywhere. When I entered the room, I started sneezing uncontrollably and coughing and had to leave the party.
At another party that night I knew I had no interest at all and so when I was introducing myself, I listed my hobbies as collecting dryer lint and Corey Haim movies.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-16-2002, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

This didn't cause me to get cut from any sororities (at least I hope it wasnt the reason I got cut), but it is an embarassing rush story. I got a concussion the weekend before rush, and the medicine that they gave me in the ER knocked me on my butt for a few days. Anyway, the first time I had gotten up in like 3 days was to go to the first night of rush. Bad idea. THe medicine plus overexertion from standing up so long made me sick. After visiting all the houses, my recruitment group was sitting outside in the middle of the greek village and talking about the night. To make a long story short, I started to hyperventilate and I passed out in the middle of the Greek Village! Every Greek came out of their house and saw me! 2 fire trucks, an ambulance, and a few police cars later, I was rolled out of the village on a stretcher and on my way to the ER for the second time that week. And I definitely go to a small school, so I kept on hearing "did you hear about the girl who passed out?" And then when people saw my bruise from the IV they were like "Oh my gosh, you are the concussion girl!" But I continued through rush and I am sure glad I did because I love Chi Omega!!!! Just thought I would share my completely embarassing rush story! It made for good conversation throughout the rest of rush!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose

If that's why you weren't invited back, I don't think they seem like a group you'd want to be a part of, anyway. Sounds like they had a big ole' stick up their collective you-know-whats.
You are exactly right. I knew where I was going long before this party, and I wasn't disappointed to learn of the cut. I have friends who pledged that group, and I am still wondering how some of them ended up there. But, I am happy with my choice, and I hope those friends found the same bond I did.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I did not get cut BUT....

I think it was because people felt sorry for me!

1) tripped and fell UP the stairs.
2) my skirt flew over my head (OK slight exaggeration-but it might as well have!)

3) I discovered MUCH LATER when I got home that a little green thing was in my front teeth all day from the food at the FIRST party.

4)while talking to a girl at one of the "popular" houses, for no real reason what so ever except that I am a nerd, I choked on my own spit.You know that really hard choking that makes a lot of noise and you almost gag and can't catch your breath and your eyes water-yeah that kind of choking. People were wanting to give me the heimlich.I wanted to DIE!!!

5)wore these cute-but cheap-sandles the next day. Well, the strap broke. So now I have like one shoe-because it won't stay on with out the little strap.So now I have "grocery store feet" at each house. All I could think of was that Jimmy Buffet song "Blew out my flip flop..."

But my Rho Chi made me feel better. She told me that I could be assured that whatever house I chose-I'd know they really loved me!

The third day and pref were really good and nothing bad happened. But damn....
Old 12-16-2002, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXO Sweetheart
Well, I bet the reason I was cut from one house the first day was that I didn't gush or kiss their butts like a lot of the other girls did. A LOT of girls wanted to be there, so they sucked up and talked about how wonderful the sorority is. It was our next to last house of the day, and nothing was wonderful to me by that point.

And I know why I got cut from one. On the second of the third day of rush, one of the sisters asked me what I thought of their parties. They had done things kind of backwards from our other sororities. Instead of talking to a whole bunch of people the first day, they paired us up with one, and we talked to no one else. It was kind of like pref, but the first day. And I was BORED.

I responded with, "Well, I wish I would have gotten to meet more sisters the first day, instead of just having one to talk to." (No offense to any of you out there in sororities that do that, I had just gotten used to it the other way.)

I figured that would get me cut when I said it, but hey, I wasn't going to lie. I knew where I wanted to go anyway.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Not funny, just stupid

One of the big things about our sorority is inclusiveness...we were founded when all of our founders could not join the same sorority because they had different religions. It's really stressed as a core ideal. Well, apparently one girl did not pick up on this. At a party at one of the fraternity houses, she made a racist comment. One of our sisters overheard it, and was upset, and asked her as calmly as she could about it in case she had interpreted wrong. She ended up arguing with her about it for about a half hour before giving up. This was not just a misunderstanding, the girl actually felt this way.....
I'm glad she said it then so we found out early...not the type of person we want in our org.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: one house..

Quote:
Originally posted by MsVixen
i think that i might have been cut from a house when i said that my face was sore from smiling all day.. it was one of the last houses i visited that day (the first day, so i had visited quite a few houses) and i had been smiling (having fun meeting people) all day... i think she got mad at me
Yeah, I think that I got cut from a house for the same thing, but cmon! After going to 4 houses and smilling and acting polite, your face gets sore. That's okay. I always knew I wanted AOII!
Old 12-16-2002, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by QT Pie
When I went through formal rush, I didn't want to be like one of those motor mouth rushees who just keep talking and talking about themselves. I was also more mellow back then, so I tended to let the actives do most of the talking. I probably came across as being "shy" and was dropped from several houses that I liked. It doesn't matter now- I was bidded to the house I was destined to be in, and so it all worked out well for me. =)

I was the exact same way and like QT Pie it all turned out well in the end. I can't imagine having gone anywhere else......
Old 12-19-2002, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

About tricky money questions...

When one of my sisters was going thru Rush, a particular house asked her a couple questions like that... She got fed up with it, so they finally came out and asked "What kind of car do you drive?" she said "A '71 Pinto"... and then someone asked her what her dad did for a living and she said he was a garbage man. She was cut that night.

And one of the girls I was rushing this year asked me what kind of car I drove. I proceeded to tell her all about my baby - my 1989 Volvo 240 station wagon. Why would I lie? - I love my car! Never saw her again...
Old 12-20-2002, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Oh wow -- be glad you're not a guy or I'd ask you to marry me on the spot! My baby is a 1993 Volvo 240 sedan. Deep navy blue, the color of love. Or at least I should say "was," since my sweet little car gave her life for me in March. (Truly the way I feel about it -- the car was totalled; I had to be cut out, had some head and shoulder injuries but otherwise survived a wreck I shouldn't have.) I still have my license plate up on the wall, dents and bends and all. It reads "VLVO PWR."
Old 12-22-2002, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: atlanta....its hot here... cant breath... too humid... helppp
it was the first day of rush and i was in the room with the VERY christian sorority. but since i was clueless about sororities then, i didnt realize this. anyways, i am very openminded and wanted a group of girls like myself. so when we were asking questions i asked if the girls were "diverse" and the girl looked at me and was like, "WELL, we all have VERY STRONG BELIEFS, if thats what your asking." i didnt mean to offend her... it was just a question! but then when i went to the AOII's and i asked, they said diversity in every way, shape and form was one of the strongest assets of their sorority... and they were right!
Old 12-24-2002, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay for Volvos! I get teased a lot about my car (it's affectionately called the swedish meatball) but I love my baby... It's super safe AND it fits all my crap for the long drive to and from school!

I'm the envy of soccer moms everywhere...
Old 12-26-2002, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Hahaha, everyone called mine The Brick. Volvos (old ones, anyway) are not known for their aerodynamics.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Re: I did not get cut BUT....

Thats funny! I am sure you are adorable, but in my mind's eye I can see the group discussing you at Chapter and someone brining up the story:

"Entertaining Angels Unaware . . . " LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Violet
I think it was because people felt sorry for me!

1) tripped and fell UP the stairs.
2) my skirt flew over my head (OK slight exaggeration-but it might as well have!)

3) I discovered MUCH LATER when I got home that a little green thing was in my front teeth all day from the food at the FIRST party.

4)while talking to a girl at one of the "popular" houses, for no real reason what so ever except that I am a nerd, I choked on my own spit.You know that really hard choking that makes a lot of noise and you almost gag and can't catch your breath and your eyes water-yeah that kind of choking. People were wanting to give me the heimlich.I wanted to DIE!!!

5)wore these cute-but cheap-sandles the next day. Well, the strap broke. So now I have like one shoe-because it won't stay on with out the little strap.So now I have "grocery store feet" at each house. All I could think of was that Jimmy Buffet song "Blew out my flip flop..."

But my Rho Chi made me feel better. She told me that I could be assured that whatever house I chose-I'd know they really loved me!

The third day and pref were really good and nothing bad happened. But damn....
Old 12-29-2002, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah this thread has really taken off. Soon we will have more stories from Winter rush!!!