GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,821
1 members and 1,820 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The last time I said that, people laughed at me.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Simply put, be the change you want to see in your chapter.
This! .. x 1000.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I just gotta say this: if your campus is one where Ren Faire is an acceptable fraternity/sorority activity, you are WAY blowing your sorority's awkwardness out of proportion.
This pretty much made my day. LOL
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just gotta say this: if your campus is one where Ren Faire is an acceptable fraternity/sorority activity, you are WAY blowing your sorority's awkwardness out of proportion.
Or if she thinks this is an acceptable sorority activity, she is blowing her inability to fit in with the awkward chapter out of proportion.

Quote:

Are you perping AOII?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Or if she thinks this is an acceptable sorority activity, she is blowing her inability to fit in with the awkward chapter out of proportion.

Are you perping AOII?
We're never sad pandas.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
We're never sad pandas.

well...that Lilly print kinda has scary panda if you ask me. Had dinner tonight with a Chi O, Sigma Kappa, Tri Delta, Pi Phi, and another Theta. We analyzed all the Lilly prints and decided that scary panda just doesn't quite work with the roses. Someone at the table made a crack about Joe Arpaio. Then the PiPhi got all perplexed at the squiggly arrows, and the SK had a few funny things to say about her print. The only one who's happy is the TriDelta. We all agreed on the suitability of the Theta print for rock fighting.

Oh, I'm off topic again. Sorry.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=CsyR6s6uo40#!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
well...that Lilly print kinda has scary panda if you ask me. Had dinner tonight with a Chi O, Sigma Kappa, Tri Delta, Pi Phi, and another Theta. We analyzed all the Lilly prints and decided that scary panda just doesn't quite work with the roses. Someone at the table made a crack about Joe Arpaio. Then the PiPhi got all perplexed at the squiggly arrows, and the SK had a few funny things to say about her print. The only one who's happy is the TriDelta. We all agreed on the suitability of the Theta print for rock fighting.

Oh, I'm off topic again. Sorry.
Rock fighting, huh? I'm gonna have to hear this story! Scary panda, indeed! Damn you Lily Pulitzer!!!!!

AOII

Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Alumnae years can be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl10 View Post
Everything DubaiSis has said here is what I would like to say.

In addition, I'd like to remind you that sorority membership is for life. So your chapter doesn't have the best reputation on campus or is considered bottom-tier (tiers are stupid). If you take the time to develop relationships with your sisters as human beings (because most/all of them are probably pretty awesome, if you bother to find out), reputation shouldn't matter. If it still does, so what? You will spend only four years (less) with your chapter out of perhaps 45+ years of membership in your lifetime. Think of all the opportunities you will have to be an involved alumna!

But seriously, put some effort into getting to know your sisters. Yeah, the shininess of trips with fraternities etc. looks nice, but you may be missing out on what could be the best friendships of your life if you don't put in some effort.

Side note, it's early March. Spring semesters generally start in January, so at the most you have been a member of your chapter for 2.5 months, but probably more like two months. You have the rest of the semester: TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT.

Ok, done ranting.
I had a wonderful experience in my collegiate chapter until we were closed and then I had a wonderful time with my sisters until I finished school. I got married, had kids, and took about 10 years off from everything but our International Reunion Day. I lived all over the country during those 10 years as my husband was in the Air Force. I missed Alpha Gamma Delta. I volunteered at the International Level, we never lived close to a chapter and I still made everlasting friendships. My 4 girls went to college, pledged Alpha Gam, and it could sometimes be hard for the collegians to discern the difference between a mom who happens to be an Alpha Gam and an International Visitor. I took another break. Now, I'm at the point where I'm volunteering again, this time at a local chapter. My main point is that while I loved my collegiate years, my alumnae years have been fruitful and in some ways better.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
Quote:

LOL I almost died when I saw this.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Best part of this thread...I actually laughed out loud.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Rock fighting, huh? I'm gonna have to hear this story! Scary panda, indeed! Damn you Lily Pulitzer!!!!!
Speaking of people feeling for their sorority, when Lilly re-spells AOIIs phrase on the fabric, will they also take out the scary panda because its not an official mascot (just going by what I hear)?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwallgreek View Post
I missed Alpha Gamma Delta.
Just wanted to say: "Welcome Sister"!

Make sure you introduce yourself in the Alpha Gam Forum!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Speaking of people feeling for their sorority, when Lilly re-spells AOIIs phrase on the fabric, will they also take out the scary panda because its not an official mascot (just going by what I hear)?
Don't I wish! And make the wheat golden instead of bizarro burgandy, and make the background any color but pink and get rid of the life-saver looking rubies and replace with something that looks like a ruby... I could go on and on and on. Will someone tell me why I voted for this damn thing?

AOII

Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

So here's another angle I wonder if you thought about. You are a dancer for what sounds like a university team. Have you ever invited your sisters to see a performance? Have you introduced them to who you are and what you love? Sorority women appreciate hard work and dancing at that level tends to take dedication and talent. I'd bet your sisters would like to watch you dance and be proud to know that this talented dancer is their sister. Your dedication to dancing is the same dedication that those girls have to their letters.

In the end it's a 2-way street. If you put the effort in, you will reap the rewards. They may not be instant, but nothing good in life happens instantly. My advice is to try. Try to reach out. Try to meet a sister every 2 days and learn something new about them. Try to show them who you are.

Also, own your letters. Your org is a LOT bigger than your campus. Research your org. The national site, the facebook pages. Find out what your org stand for, ask to see your ceremony book and read the initiation ceremony and decide what it means to you. Whatever you do, don't be rash. Educate yourself (meeting sisters, really learning about your org) and then make a decision about your membership. What you find might surprise you.