GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 993
0 members and 993 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Campus/personal safety

Hello ladies,

I hope you all dont mind me using this forum to share something that has been bothering me. Please forgive the long post…

As some of you all might be aware of by now, a 20 yr old Clemson student was murdered at her off campus apartment this past week. There was no sign of forced entry and her killer has not been caught... yet.

I have graduated so I didnt know her but I lived in that same complex on a ground level for 2 years. Frankly the story has really disturbed and saddened me. It has been difficult to see her friends and family on the news. I feel the loss of a fellow tiger. From all accounts she was a super gal who volunteered and worked hard. A bright future savagely snatched from her. Maybe I have taken this story too personally?

I don’t know about your college town but Clemson is just one of those places that you feel like you never need to lock your doors because you feel so safe. I hate to use the old cliché, "I never thought something that this would happen in (insert town),” but when it comes to Clemson it’s true. Clemson is a pretty gosh darn safe place- baring a few exceptions. But this has been a chilling reminder of how important it is to be concerned about your personal safety.

I head back to Clemson for grad school in the fall. Im not fearful or anything about going back but I will make an effort to be extra watchful... be it now, on campus, or life after college. I know it sounds like common sense to lock your doors or stuff like that but sometimes we might need a sad reminder to go that extra mile to. I know I have done stupid things in the past like taken the trash to the dumpster at 1:30 in morning, alone because I felt so safe where I lived. You might relate.

If anyone has any tips for staying safe or has a story about personal safety they would like to share... I thought I would bring this topic up.

By the way, Tiffany was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.

Hope everyone has a great summer and thanks for reading

Last edited by CUnightowl82; 06-01-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RRRastani
That's a very sad story. Thanks for sharing it though and helping us all to be more aware of the importance of our safety.

Below is a link to a great website with some tips on how to stay safe on college campuses.
http://www.plu.edu/campussafety/personal-safety.html

Take care.
Robin
Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I attended a Purdue convocation yesterday concerning the rape and suicide of an Alpha Chi Omega sister back in 1995. Kristin Cooper attended a small college of less than a thousand students, but she still wasn't safe from harm's way.

Her mother travels around the U.S. talking to hundreds of college campuses about Risk Mgmt and safety.

If you'd like more information:
www.kristinsstory.com