GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,293
1 members and 2,292 guests
Xidelt

Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

How the Bush Admin. cut the cheese upon departure

As one of his final acts in office, President Bush increased the tariff on Roquefort by 300 percent, making it virtually impossible for the French to sell the popular cheese in the United States.

The World Trade Organization (WTO) authorized the tariff in both the U.S. and Canada, in response to the European Union’s continued ban on beef from hormone-treated animals. According to Bloomberg, the WTO will allow the two countries to levy duties on Roquefort and other European imports because the EU has not offered any scientific evidence that hormone-treated beef poses a cancer risk for consumers.

Bush's embargo raises a big stink in France
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I really like that I can no longer buy Roquefort cheese because of a pissing match over steroid enhanced beef. Europe doesn't have to eat our beef if they don't want too, but I want my ROQUEFORT!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-29-2009, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I really like that I can no longer buy Roquefort cheese because of a pissing match over steroid enhanced beef. Europe doesn't have to eat our beef if they don't want too, but I want my ROQUEFORT!
Pissing match...funny (thinking about a slaughterhouse video I saw a while back)

Anyways...isn't Europe that same group of countries that had issues with mad Cow disease not 5 years ago?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not that big of a deal, since the EU countries are WTO members and so is the US you can't ban imports with no reason. If the WTO finds that an act is a violation of their policies they authorize/suggest retaliatory tariffs at the appropriate level for the harmed country to impose. The WTO found that the EU ban on US hormone treated beef was against the GATT and suggested this as a retaliatory tariff.

Last edited by CrackerBarrel; 01-31-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The article says that the tariff was approved.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
You can always come buy it in Canada, honey! We don't bite (hard).
Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
You can always come buy it in Canada, honey! We don't bite (hard).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
The World Trade Organization (WTO) authorized the tariff in both the U.S. and Canada
Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 PM

I'm sure that the cheese would still be in Canada. We have our ways.