GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,257
2 members and 1,255 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-16-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrelyre View Post
Then you are very, very lucky.
Oh, I realize that. My point isn't to say that all alums are accepting of the call and never get pushy, I was just trying to counter the "it will be the very rare phone call that Mom says, 'OKTHXBYE.'" comment because it does happen, at least in my own experience.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

As I'm always so eager to point out no matter what the topic, some people (usually a very small percentage) are just nuts, and they aren't going to act right no matter what you do.

I suspect the vast majority of women called, although they may ask why, accept the response with dignity and good manners.

The ones who are going to pitch a fit are probably going to pitch it anyway; it's just a question of who initiates the call and how high up the organization chain they try to go.

(I don't expect any craziness ever to change the results of the chapter's decision, but I'm afraid there are always going to be a few wacky people who try to influence outcomes. We shouldn't let those jerks cause us to abandon a policy if it's a good one for other reasons.)
Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
We never had a legacy go through, so I don't know the official rules, etc, but it seems to me, since you're talking to an initiated sister about official business, that "MS" line is BS.
MS stays in the room. If someone didn't/couldn't attend MS or left the room because a certain PNM was being discussed that was NOT supposed to be shared with them even though they were initiated sisters and members of the chapter. Did they get told? Almost certainly. Does this mean you have to tell Suzie Alumna why her daughter would get cut? No.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Does this mean you have to tell Suzie Alumna why her daughter would get cut? No.
Unless your sorority has a RULE that you have to do so. In which case, I don't think an individual chapter gets to decide that they're above policy.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
Unless your sorority has a RULE that you have to do so. In which case, I don't think an individual chapter gets to decide that they're above policy.
And the advantage of such a specific rules is that you'd hope the chapter would make sure they had a "good" reason, I guess.

Is that right, DGDramaDawg?
Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
And the advantage of such a specific rules is that you'd hope the chapter would make sure they had a "good" reason, I guess.

Is that right, DGDramaDawg?
I would guess that some chapters might be less likely to cut a girl if they knew they'd have to make that phone call. Then again, this goes back to the fact that the chapter isn't under obligation to tell the alum WHY (at least, I don't know of any sororities that have policies that require chapters to release that information, but maybe I'm wrong?)... so reasoning behind cuts wouldn't need to be any better or worse, so to speak, than if the rushee was not a legacy and they didn't have to make "the call."
Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
I would guess that some chapters might be less likely to cut a girl if they knew they'd have to make that phone call. Then again, this goes back to the fact that the chapter isn't under obligation to tell the alum WHY (at least, I don't know of any sororities that have policies that require chapters to release that information, but maybe I'm wrong?)... so reasoning behind cuts wouldn't need to be any better or worse, so to speak, than if the rushee was not a legacy and they didn't have to make "the call."
Oh, I misunderstood your early post. I thought there were groups who had to say why as per their policy.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, I want to play the devil's advocate here. Our chapter policy (I don't have the advisor's guide here to see if it's an international one or not) has always been to notify anyone who has sent a rec for a legacy of her status if she's dropped (or given a bid, or went to another GLO).

Let's say that Pam PNM is a direct legacy to Alpha Chapter. She has perfect grades, perfect activities, everything you could ask for in a PNM. Alpha Chapter strings her along to one of the last parties, then after a tirade by an active sister, cuts her. Every other GLO has released Pam for being such a sure-fire legacy, so she is now completely out of choices.

Do you think her mother/grandmother/greatgrandmother deserves a call?

What if a sister breaks ranks and tells Pam why she was cut?

Do you think Pam's adult enough emotionally to handle this by talking to the stranger assigned to her as a rush counselor?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Okay, I want to play the devil's advocate here. Our chapter policy (I don't have the advisor's guide here to see if it's an international one or not) has always been to notify anyone who has sent a rec for a legacy of her status if she's dropped (or given a bid, or went to another GLO).

Let's say that Pam PNM is a direct legacy to Alpha Chapter. She has perfect grades, perfect activities, everything you could ask for in a PNM. Alpha Chapter strings her along to one of the last parties, then after a tirade by an active sister, cuts her. Every other GLO has released Pam for being such a sure-fire legacy, so she is now completely out of choices.

Do you think Pam's adult enough emotionally to handle this by talking to the stranger assigned to her as a rush counselor?
I think Alpha Chapter might get some interesting feedback from the GLO after recruitment.

I think her family member deserves a call. I don't know that it really does anyone any good for Pam to know why she was cut, and I think the member should be reprimanded for violating the secrecy of MS if she actually told Pam (as opposed to telling the mom if the policy allows it). And although I think Pan is probably adult enough to handle talking to her rush counselor, she probably will really want to talk to her mom more. And under the circumstances, I think that's okay.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
Oh, I misunderstood your early post. I thought there were groups who had to say why as per their policy.
I think I quoted the wrong post earlier, meaning to quote a post that questioned why an alum should be contacted at all.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphimsprite View Post
It's really not though. Maybe it's different in your organization, but in my experience MS discussions are supposed to remain in the room. It's a little different than official business from an ordinary chapter meeting, IMO. If all initiated sisters had a right to know MS conversations, then would we start telling members that they were towards the bottom of our bid list once we initiated them? Or any discussion that might have been had about a member?

You're absolutely right. From the years I've gone through recruitment as an active AND as an alum & adviser, conversations that went on during MS do not leave the room. Sister or not, if she's NOT in the room when the conversation took place, it is not her business to know what was discussed.

This is the way SK does it. Perhaps other orgs do it differently. To say it's BS is just ignorant b/c AF, you're NOT a member of SK so you don't know what goes on during Sigma Kappa MS.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAquarius View Post
You're absolutely right. From the years I've gone through recruitment as an active AND as an alum & adviser, conversations that went on during MS do not leave the room. Sister or not, if she's NOT in the room when the conversation took place, it is not her business to know what was discussed.

This is the way SK does it. Perhaps other orgs do it differently. To say it's BS is just ignorant b/c AF, you're NOT a member of SK so you don't know what goes on during Sigma Kappa MS.
So you wouldn't be allowed to tell a mom who was a member that her daughter had been cut at all or you wouldn't be allowed to tell her was the MS discussion was about?

My memories of MS and most rules for my group are very out of date if they were ever accurate, but to me they're two different issues.

MS discussion is almost like it should never be spoken of again with anyone, but party lists once set seem like they are something else. It's a yes or no kind of thing, and it will be pretty public once the pnms pick up their invites or attend the parties. You are just (maybe) giving the alumna member a heads up as far as timing.

You wouldn't want members blabbing the info to random people because it would be bad manners, counterproductive, and invite a discussion that did breach MS, but the alumna member isn't a random person.

ETA: I'm just saying this as my opinion generally. I'm not trying to say what I think anyone's real policies are.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-17-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

We would of course contact the alumna, mother, sister, aunt, etc. We would call her, explain to her that the PNM was cut and let her know that it was the chapters decision. We would NOT tell her any specific reasons like the PNM was rude, hostile, didn't fit in, etc. There's no need to give any specifics like that though I do understand that most alums would want to know. Sadly, too many of them forget that the reasoning behind the cuts are the chapters prerogatives and not the advisers yet we are the ones that bare the burden of informing them.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

Quite frankly, that chapter sounds like such a bunch of a-holes that I think the last thing they're going to worry about is how Pam or her mom/grandma etc feels.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
All I know is that Kappa doesn't notify those who recommended legacies if a cut occurs. We can tell all those who sent recs where the PNM pledged, if at all, but only after Bid Day.

I can understand why alumnae would want the call if their daughters were released. However, I cannot see the conversation not going to the "why" territory at best or disintegrating into an argument at worst. Having a non-notification policy just keeps it from even going there.