GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 793
0 members and 793 guests
No Members online

Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Every sorority will have a reputation of some sort given by some other group. At least this is what I've experienced on my campus. Non greeks always labeled each sorority/fraternity and it was always something bad or negative. You just have to try to ignore them if you can, and enjoy your sisterhood.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle14 View Post
People here seem to like to pretend reputations don't matter at all, but they do. I have many good friends in the "worst" sorority on my campus. While they are great, there are a lot of girls who will talk bad about every other sorority to try to make themselves feel better. They have a serious inferiority complex, which makes a lot of them rather difficult to be around.
This is very unfair. I know a lot of girls in the "top" chapters who say very negative (usually very public) things about the "bottom" chapters. There's going to be some level of cattiness no matter where you go I think, but to go ahead and say "oh, they're an ugly chapter? They must be miserable and talk smack to make themselves feel better," is INSANELY unfair. Stuff like that is just as likely to happen in the "best" chapter on campus as the "worst". (Note the quotes, since I think ranking chapters is the most ridiculous thing in the world.) I would HOPE that if the girls in the chapter the OP is thinking of joining are nasty people, it wouldn't even be a question as to whether to accept a bid.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you have gotten some very sound advice here. I just keep going back to you have pros- there are things you like about this group. You have nothing to loose by taking the bid and getting to know your new sisters and pledge class. There may be some real opportunity here for you to grow, get involved and make a difference. Like one of the other posters said if you get close to initiation and it is not for you then you just turn in your pledge pin and walk away. I do want you to remember that you only have 2 years left at University and membership is for a lifetime. Some of my closet friends are not girls I pledged with or even lived with in the sorority house they are from the local alumni group in my home town- who would have known?!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

oh, come on. No one has given her the worst advice ever with the "maybe you should look into AI"?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Um, it's a local. I can't imagine a local having an AI program. But yes, that WOULD be the worst advice ever.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Um, it's a local. I can't imagine a local having an AI program. But yes, that WOULD be the worst advice ever.
These are NOT locals. These are NPCs (their recruitment came a little earlier this year)...
Yes, I know the school well
Old 10-05-2011, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

The point is that whether you accept a bid from a "top" chapter after a "perfect" rush or a bumpy, emotional one, or a bid from your second fave, or a bid from you least favorite that you thought you "didn't connect with" or "couldn't see yourself there" or a bid offered from a chapter during informal recruitment...YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW THESE WOMEN, AND THEY DON'T REALLY KNOW YOU. Taking that bid and trying to make a go of it is a leap of faith. They are taking a chance on you, and you take a chance on them. You could do yourself a favor and do some research on the national organization and learn something about what it has to offer you outside the bubble of your "on campus" experience and maybe that might a difference to you..maybe not.

On the other hand, the OP lives with a bunch of girls who have proven themselves to be twits with their catty, juvenile and unbecoming behavior.

Hmmm...two options: take a chance on lifetime of opportunities waiting for you or let yourself be influenced by twits. Such difficult choices!

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I think it's hilarious when a chapter is referred to as "fat" but when you look at them, the perceived "fat girls" are maybe size 10 max, there are like 3 of them, and the rest of the chapter is maybe a 6ish.

The way people refer to them you'd think that everyone in the chapter was Jabba The Hut.

It's sad and funny at the same time.
I often wish that I were just as fat as I used to think I was when I was in college and a size 6-8.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

funny thing about "labels". My eldest daughter joined the "real girl" sorority. They had every shape, size, color of girls. Were they the top house? Nope. but guess what.. In 4 small years that "average girl" house went from zero to hero. This year they took in 42 pnms! Making them one of the top houses! Go figure.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I often wish that I were just as fat as I used to think I was when I was in college and a size 6-8.
+1

Gosh, I really WAS a twit when I was 19. I could kick myself now.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
+1

Gosh, I really WAS a twit when I was 19. I could kick myself now.
I claim twit-iness until I was 25. I often wonder what I could have accomplished if I only had had my thirty-COUGH SNEEZE year old brain in my teenage/early 20's body.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
These are NOT locals. These are NPCs (their recruitment came a little earlier this year)...
Yes, I know the school well
Sorry, my bad. I read no official connection to school as NPC not allowed, but I can think of 1 school (not this one) that works that way so I suppose there are more.